Used 2003 BMW Z4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

Most Helpful|
First model year blues
By Mike W

2003 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car in January to just drive in good weather. While the car is fun to drive, it only gets 20mpg on premium. In 4 months I replaced the valve cover, oil pan and oil filter gaskets. My mechanic said this is nothing out of the ordinary. The driver's air bag light will not turn off, 5 other sensors do not function, the side mirror control does not work, the drink holders do not come out, the radio and single disk CD player have problems, etc. I wrote to BMW given these are non-mileage issues and no response. I was used to Nissan "Z" cars that go and go with no problems. What a disappointment.

Favorite Features

The style. I believe a true sports car should have the long hood and small trunk. It is fun to drive even here in the Florida flat lands.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little less technical before it is ready for introduction to the real world. A more responsive BMW network.

Needs improvement
By Wolf

2003 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Owned the car since 2004 has now 82,000 miles, performed well under warranty, had to replace the motor for the convertible top at 42,000 mi and now again at 82,000. both times the elec. motor short circuit due to run off water that enters the plastic housing where the elec. motor sits in. The water can't drain and the electr. motor will rust and quit. Very expensive repair, poor design. Car handles great, fun to drive on smooth roads but noisy, and potholes are deadly and my wife hates to put on her make-up while we are driving, rough ride

Favorite Features

Styling, performance and great trunk space

Suggested Improvements

Spoiler too low, lousy cup holders, needs more attention to detail, paint is coming off on interior door handles , plasic is cracking on arm rest and all seals around the windshield need to be of better quality they are all cracked

Good Car For The Price
By oldmarine5

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought from dealer with 5000 miles on it. Also, had a Z3. The style of the Z4 is not as nice as the Z3 but many features of the Z4 are an improvement. Great engine. Smooth with plenty of power. I am 6'2" and , unlike many two seaters, has good room for the driver. Expensive to maintain, but I only drive it on sunny days with the top down. Just hit 20,000 miles. Red color and gets lots of compliments. I am satisfied.

Favorite Features

Power, trunk space, leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Don't like electric steering. Not a fan of run flat tires.

Smile on my face
By DickP

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had this car for 6 years and I still can't get over how much fun it is to drive. I rented a Corvette on vacation and couldn't believe the difference. The Z is fast, refined and nimble, the Corvette was fast, loud and didn't handle as well as my 1961 Corvair. The only car I have seen that would make me want to trade it is the 2010 Z with the twin Turbo. That has to be scary fast.

Favorite Features

Sport Package just adds another dimension.

Suggested Improvements

can't think of anything

Disappointed
By Eric Morales

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

If you buy these cars, expect to shell out big bucks for repairs. We have an extended warranty which so far has been of no use because of water leakage. The top wouldn't open because of a leak. BMW at least paid for labor, parts still cost us 800.00. Now the wipers stopped working. Some part cracked and water again somehow got in. Going to cost 1100.00 to fix and again, it's not covered under the warranty. Great looking and handling car, but poorly built. Will never buy a BMW again.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, looks great, handles great.

Suggested Improvements

How about making them more waterproof! Poor design quality on major parts. Warranty should cover more-wouldn't bother getting it again.