Used 2003 BMW Z4 Consumer Reviews - 188 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

I still love it
By Stephanie

2003 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My car has 125000 and I still LOVE the Z4 after 5 years. It is comfortable, has good gas mileage (31 mpg on highway) even though I am low to the ground, I feel safe on the rainy, winding roads. The only problem I have ever had is not mechanical, the front skirt is so low to the ground that I had to change it twice because it broke. It is so reliable and fun to drive that I will drive it until the end!

Glass rear window, I have driven a Z3 and being able to see thru is a major improvement! And the roof but I really like everything about this car.

none

2003 BMW Z4 Premium/Sport Everything Rvw
By Jermy1304

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I was shopping for a sports car and shortly after driving this car I fell in love with it. The handling is amazing and it's got some "get up and go". I will warn you, IT IS A HIGH MAINTENANCE VEHICLE. I bought it 4 months ago with 62k and have had to do 10x as much work as I ever did on my Toyota Tacoma in 2 years. Convertible top doesn't work, Tire sensors were malfunctioning, Turn signal went out, Windshield Wipers malfunctioned, can't jack it up because it is so low, inconvenient access to almost everything, chews up tires because negative camber is set at 3% stock (change to 2% at next alignment )...and still, I am planning to buy a 2009 Z4 because they are THAT FUN! Warning: Chick Magnet.

Handling before I put 20 inch wheels on, Dream Red Leather Interior, Visibility with Top Down

Cup holders, Plastic pieces all over the car fall apart, Make Jack-Point compatible with a 3 inch jack, Stop using Torx bolts on everything, Waterproof/Build convertible top assembly better, No trunk compartment floor, Better tail light design that yellow circle on 2003, Better stock sound system

Smile on my face
By DickP

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had this car for 6 years and I still can't get over how much fun it is to drive. I rented a Corvette on vacation and couldn't believe the difference. The Z is fast, refined and nimble, the Corvette was fast, loud and didn't handle as well as my 1961 Corvair. The only car I have seen that would make me want to trade it is the 2010 Z with the twin Turbo. That has to be scary fast.

Sport Package just adds another dimension.

can't think of anything

First model year blues
By Mike W

2003 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car in January to just drive in good weather. While the car is fun to drive, it only gets 20mpg on premium. In 4 months I replaced the valve cover, oil pan and oil filter gaskets. My mechanic said this is nothing out of the ordinary. The driver's air bag light will not turn off, 5 other sensors do not function, the side mirror control does not work, the drink holders do not come out, the radio and single disk CD player have problems, etc. I wrote to BMW given these are non-mileage issues and no response. I was used to Nissan "Z" cars that go and go with no problems. What a disappointment.

The style. I believe a true sports car should have the long hood and small trunk. It is fun to drive even here in the Florida flat lands.

Maybe a little less technical before it is ready for introduction to the real world. A more responsive BMW network.

Still Like it After 6 Years
By Uncle Dan

2003 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second review. First one was in 2005 when it was 2 years old. Now has 38,000 miles. Reliability has been good - no problems. Maintenance costs high, but it's a BMW. Great road car. Handles superbly and engine and manual transmission match perfectly.

Performance and handling, reasonable storage space.

Same as before - cup holders, front end too low, and it could use a little more leg room for big guys.