Used 2003 BMW Z4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

Plus and Minus
By zzzzzzzzippy

2003 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought our jet black '03 with 23,750 mi. on it (our 5th sports car, out 1st BMW). 2.5L eng, Premium and conven. packages, auto trans, 18" ellipsis wheels w/RFTs. Handles well. Electric steering so it gives no feedback thru steering wheel. Accelerates well, esp between 45 and 80. Seat bottoms aren't very comfortable after 45 min. Less interior storage space than a Miata. Roomy trunk for a sports car (no spare tire w/RFT pkg). Electronic displays are hard to read in daylight. Dynamic Stability Control necessitates alignments being performed by dealer - $90. Dealer oil changes are $90. Beautiful car that draws lots of attention from other drivers and pedestrians. Shrinking violets need not apply!

Favorite Features

Handling (DSC), exterior styling, sound system. Did I mention the exterior styling? :)

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seat bottoms, improve visibility of electronic displays- especially the radio, mechanical steering, more interior storage space, lockable console.

I still love it
By Stephanie

2003 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My car has 125000 and I still LOVE the Z4 after 5 years. It is comfortable, has good gas mileage (31 mpg on highway) even though I am low to the ground, I feel safe on the rainy, winding roads. The only problem I have ever had is not mechanical, the front skirt is so low to the ground that I had to change it twice because it broke. It is so reliable and fun to drive that I will drive it until the end!

Favorite Features

Glass rear window, I have driven a Z3 and being able to see thru is a major improvement! And the roof but I really like everything about this car.

Suggested Improvements

none

2003 BMW Z4 Premium/Sport Everything Rvw
By Jermy1304

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I was shopping for a sports car and shortly after driving this car I fell in love with it. The handling is amazing and it's got some "get up and go". I will warn you, IT IS A HIGH MAINTENANCE VEHICLE. I bought it 4 months ago with 62k and have had to do 10x as much work as I ever did on my Toyota Tacoma in 2 years. Convertible top doesn't work, Tire sensors were malfunctioning, Turn signal went out, Windshield Wipers malfunctioned, can't jack it up because it is so low, inconvenient access to almost everything, chews up tires because negative camber is set at 3% stock (change to 2% at next alignment )...and still, I am planning to buy a 2009 Z4 because they are THAT FUN! Warning: Chick Magnet.

Favorite Features

Handling before I put 20 inch wheels on, Dream Red Leather Interior, Visibility with Top Down

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, Plastic pieces all over the car fall apart, Make Jack-Point compatible with a 3 inch jack, Stop using Torx bolts on everything, Waterproof/Build convertible top assembly better, No trunk compartment floor, Better tail light design that yellow circle on 2003, Better stock sound system

Smile on my face
By DickP

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had this car for 6 years and I still can't get over how much fun it is to drive. I rented a Corvette on vacation and couldn't believe the difference. The Z is fast, refined and nimble, the Corvette was fast, loud and didn't handle as well as my 1961 Corvair. The only car I have seen that would make me want to trade it is the 2010 Z with the twin Turbo. That has to be scary fast.

Favorite Features

Sport Package just adds another dimension.

Suggested Improvements

can't think of anything

First model year blues
By Mike W

2003 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car in January to just drive in good weather. While the car is fun to drive, it only gets 20mpg on premium. In 4 months I replaced the valve cover, oil pan and oil filter gaskets. My mechanic said this is nothing out of the ordinary. The driver's air bag light will not turn off, 5 other sensors do not function, the side mirror control does not work, the drink holders do not come out, the radio and single disk CD player have problems, etc. I wrote to BMW given these are non-mileage issues and no response. I was used to Nissan "Z" cars that go and go with no problems. What a disappointment.

Favorite Features

The style. I believe a true sports car should have the long hood and small trunk. It is fun to drive even here in the Florida flat lands.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little less technical before it is ready for introduction to the real world. A more responsive BMW network.