2003 BMW Z4 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:
BMW Z4 3.0 2003
By G. Gutierrez on 09/06/07 07:26 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the best car I have ever owned. After 40,000 miles the only repair required (at no cost) was to reset the passenger window. Great fun to drive and extremely reliable. I am thinking about buying a new car, but I hate to give this one up!

Running Young
By Dean on 07/19/07 11:45 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Soon to be 52 and adding a 16 year old daughter to the highway led to this purchase. Wow! Amazing how quick memories return to the 70s and 80s open tops of 280z, TR6, Spitfire and my first, 1969 Fiat. Wonderfully balanced handler, just enough interior space, stunning exterior lines. Hard to read electronic displays when top is down, cup holders a waste, and no locking compartments. Small issues given every minute of fun you'll feel behind the wheel!

Fun Car to Drive
By JOHN on 01/26/07 17:20 PM (PST)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Everyone looks car handles well, fun to drive short or long distances - my partner and I still call driver, mine has every option but 10 speaker DVD nav system, I am glad I chose this car over others.

First time BMW owner
By Owen on 12/09/06 09:06 AM (PST)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

It is an excellent performance vehicle, I have had a lot of fun driving and look forward to having this vehicle for a long time. The only option I did not receive and wish I had purchased was the the navigational system. Lastly, beware this vehicle is an attention getter.

Awesome Z4
By Jim on 09/14/06 11:28 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The most fun auto to drive in my 40 plus years of driving.

A "toy" for the suburbs
By Practical Guy on 07/09/06 07:15 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I'm a mid-lifer whose purchase reflects a typical mid-life crisis decision. It's a vehicle that's truly a fun "toy". After so many years of driving the terribly practical sedans of the day the Z4 injects a healthy shot of adrenaline as well as a double dose of reality .. (1) It takes a little while to use the 6-speed manual transmission with the unconscious competence needed to enjoy the ride to the max, and (2) Heck, when did I get so old??? Being a practical man with an attitude that frowns upon "social status via automobile", I clearly stepped out-of-my-box with this purchase. It does draw a great deal of attention. That alone takes some getting used to.

A very fun & quick roadster
By Mark on 06/28/06 22:41 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had a 2000 Boxster for 3 years before purchasing my Z4. It is Toledo Blue w/ tan interior. Sports package, chrome eliptical wheels & SMG. I would have preferred the 6 speed manual - but my wife wanted an automatic. SMG seemed like a good compromise. It took a while to get used to - but now we both enjoy it. The main complaint is that it is not BMW smooth in the automatic mode. However - I am loving the paddle shifters! The greatest surprise is the gas mileage. I easily get 23-26 in normal day to day driving (not taking it easy on the take offs) and 27-31 on long highway trips!

Z4 Review
By Fred L. Rasp on 05/08/06 15:02 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is a joy to drive. It is responsive, hangs on to the road, has a great sound, and runs through the gears beautifully. The top works quickly and well. It also is fairly quiet. I love this car.

Dream Car under $50K
By David on 01/09/06 13:19 PM (PST)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I traded my Z3 in for this car and what a diffence. I love everything about this car. Everything that I felt could have been improved on the Z3 was greatly improved. The power band is smooth thoughtout the range. Handling is remarkable, it drives thru curves as if on rails. It has a sporty ride but is still not uncorfortable on long trips.

You smile just thinking about driving it
By Eric on 11/24/05 07:02 AM (PST)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Near perfect balance of power, transmission shifting, suspension, road feel, braking and steering. Power top quick enough to raise or lower at even a fast stop light without feeling rushed. Sound system brings out amazing detail even with the top down. Trunk space provides the ability to use this as my full time vehicle, easily taking two suitcases, a large duffel and a fully packed computer briefcase. My only suggestion is that a new buyer opt for wheels that have a minimum of tight spaces, as you're going to spend a lot of time dealing with the legendary BMW brake dust buildup.