2003 BMW Z4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:
Plus and Minus
By zzzzzzzzippy on 11/14/09 00:45 AM (PST)

2003 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought our jet black '03 with 23,750 mi. on it (our 5th sports car, out 1st BMW). 2.5L eng, Premium and conven. packages, auto trans, 18" ellipsis wheels w/RFTs. Handles well. Electric steering so it gives no feedback thru steering wheel. Accelerates well, esp between 45 and 80. Seat bottoms aren't very comfortable after 45 min. Less interior storage space than a Miata. Roomy trunk for a sports car (no spare tire w/RFT pkg). Electronic displays are hard to read in daylight. Dynamic Stability Control necessitates alignments being performed by dealer - $90. Dealer oil changes are $90. Beautiful car that draws lots of attention from other drivers and pedestrians. Shrinking violets need not apply!

I still love it
By Stephanie on 08/21/09 11:15 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My car has 125000 and I still LOVE the Z4 after 5 years. It is comfortable, has good gas mileage (31 mpg on highway) even though I am low to the ground, I feel safe on the rainy, winding roads. The only problem I have ever had is not mechanical, the front skirt is so low to the ground that I had to change it twice because it broke. It is so reliable and fun to drive that I will drive it until the end!

2003 BMW Z4 Premium/Sport Everything Rvw
By Jermy1304 on 08/20/09 19:39 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I was shopping for a sports car and shortly after driving this car I fell in love with it. The handling is amazing and it's got some "get up and go". I will warn you, IT IS A HIGH MAINTENANCE VEHICLE. I bought it 4 months ago with 62k and have had to do 10x as much work as I ever did on my Toyota Tacoma in 2 years. Convertible top doesn't work, Tire sensors were malfunctioning, Turn signal went out, Windshield Wipers malfunctioned, can't jack it up because it is so low, inconvenient access to almost everything, chews up tires because negative camber is set at 3% stock (change to 2% at next alignment )...and still, I am planning to buy a 2009 Z4 because they are THAT FUN! Warning: Chick Magnet.

Smile on my face
By DickP on 05/27/09 12:56 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had this car for 6 years and I still can't get over how much fun it is to drive. I rented a Corvette on vacation and couldn't believe the difference. The Z is fast, refined and nimble, the Corvette was fast, loud and didn't handle as well as my 1961 Corvair. The only car I have seen that would make me want to trade it is the 2010 Z with the twin Turbo. That has to be scary fast.

First model year blues
By Mike W on 05/04/09 08:10 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car in January to just drive in good weather. While the car is fun to drive, it only gets 20mpg on premium. In 4 months I replaced the valve cover, oil pan and oil filter gaskets. My mechanic said this is nothing out of the ordinary. The driver's air bag light will not turn off, 5 other sensors do not function, the side mirror control does not work, the drink holders do not come out, the radio and single disk CD player have problems, etc. I wrote to BMW given these are non-mileage issues and no response. I was used to Nissan "Z" cars that go and go with no problems. What a disappointment.

Still Like it After 6 Years
By Uncle Dan on 05/03/09 18:36 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second review. First one was in 2005 when it was 2 years old. Now has 38,000 miles. Reliability has been good - no problems. Maintenance costs high, but it's a BMW. Great road car. Handles superbly and engine and manual transmission match perfectly.

Excellent all the way around
By JimQ on 12/07/08 10:27 AM (PST)

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've driven mine across the country and it's superb in all respects -- fun, reliable, great gas mileage, great performance, all ways. Even though it's small, it has good storage space and excellent driving compartment space. Gas mileage on the road is 34-38 mpg. Semi-auto transmission is fun, but jerks on changes often, annoying. All in all, a plus, though. I'd buy another without question.

Z4ME
By Z4ME on 11/04/08 14:46 PM (PST)

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my jet black 2003 Z4 in 7/08. I have put on 6,000 miles in Minnesota and have enjoyed everyone. Speed control and power window placement questionable, cup holder is limited. Like the sport button-whole new car when on. Good daily driver, however, you must miss or slow down for every pot hole and RR Xing. Power top fast enough to put up and down in rush hour. If you buy this car must put a 3M clear bra on ($400). The hood is a rock magnet. Always a head turner. I will come out of a store and always see people looking in. This is my 4th BMW (1 325 xi, 1 325i, and 1 x5) by far the most impractical but ALWAYS the most fun. 35 male-Minnesota

Dependable?
By Morduk on 09/30/08 09:16 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car in November of 2003. Loved the drive of the car and was impressed with the it's lines. Within the first 3,000 miles, had to repair both front tires due to puncture. After 10,000 miles had to replace all 4 tires. Inflation pressure listed by BMW was not the same as required by the tire company. No problem with tires after proper inflation. Soft top would not function due to a leak in system. Fixed under warranty. Problem with front suspension system. Fixed under warranty. Few months after warranty ended, master computer system failed. Replacement value $1,300. BMW paid half. Currently car is in shop for front suspension system problems again.

I LOVE MY Z4
By Robert Dugan on 03/21/08 14:07 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car hugs the road so nicely it just give me goose bumps when I drive it. My mother thinks the car is the coolest and loves driving in it with the top down.