2003 BMW Z4 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:
Good Car For The Price
By oldmarine5 on 05/29/13 14:33 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought from dealer with 5000 miles on it. Also, had a Z3. The style of the Z4 is not as nice as the Z3 but many features of the Z4 are an improvement. Great engine. Smooth with plenty of power. I am 6'2" and , unlike many two seaters, has good room for the driver. Expensive to maintain, but I only drive it on sunny days with the top down. Just hit 20,000 miles. Red color and gets lots of compliments. I am satisfied.

Fun Car
By Tom on 08/08/10 12:39 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Just completed 8000 miles between MI @ CA including Glacier Nat. Park. HWY 2, 20, 299,101 and 1. Gas mileage on reg gas 28 to 35 mpg. Have owned Datsun Z cars in past. This is the best.

The Good and the Bad
By Jason Y. on 01/03/10 10:49 AM (PST)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Shortly after purchasing it used at 59,200 miles, the coolant light came on so I filled it up when the engine was cold and it continues to leak whenever the coolant expands with a hot engine. I'm guessing the coolant expansion tank is cracked. Other than the above mechanical issue this car draws a lot of semi-truck drivers attention and praises and other people on the road also. It feels like this car has sticky glue on the tires during fast turns. Manual 6-speed transmission shifts wonderfully. Not the fastest car on the road against say a Ford 500GT or any other hot rods but this Z4 has the right balance between styling and performance.

Disappointed
By Eric Morales on 11/24/09 12:26 PM (PST)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

If you buy these cars, expect to shell out big bucks for repairs. We have an extended warranty which so far has been of no use because of water leakage. The top wouldn't open because of a leak. BMW at least paid for labor, parts still cost us 800.00. Now the wipers stopped working. Some part cracked and water again somehow got in. Going to cost 1100.00 to fix and again, it's not covered under the warranty. Great looking and handling car, but poorly built. Will never buy a BMW again.

2003 BMW Z4 Premium/Sport Everything Rvw
By Jermy1304 on 08/20/09 19:39 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I was shopping for a sports car and shortly after driving this car I fell in love with it. The handling is amazing and it's got some "get up and go". I will warn you, IT IS A HIGH MAINTENANCE VEHICLE. I bought it 4 months ago with 62k and have had to do 10x as much work as I ever did on my Toyota Tacoma in 2 years. Convertible top doesn't work, Tire sensors were malfunctioning, Turn signal went out, Windshield Wipers malfunctioned, can't jack it up because it is so low, inconvenient access to almost everything, chews up tires because negative camber is set at 3% stock (change to 2% at next alignment )...and still, I am planning to buy a 2009 Z4 because they are THAT FUN! Warning: Chick Magnet.

Smile on my face
By DickP on 05/27/09 12:56 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had this car for 6 years and I still can't get over how much fun it is to drive. I rented a Corvette on vacation and couldn't believe the difference. The Z is fast, refined and nimble, the Corvette was fast, loud and didn't handle as well as my 1961 Corvair. The only car I have seen that would make me want to trade it is the 2010 Z with the twin Turbo. That has to be scary fast.

Excellent all the way around
By JimQ on 12/07/08 10:27 AM (PST)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've driven mine across the country and it's superb in all respects -- fun, reliable, great gas mileage, great performance, all ways. Even though it's small, it has good storage space and excellent driving compartment space. Gas mileage on the road is 34-38 mpg. Semi-auto transmission is fun, but jerks on changes often, annoying. All in all, a plus, though. I'd buy another without question.

Z4ME
By Z4ME on 11/04/08 14:46 PM (PST)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my jet black 2003 Z4 in 7/08. I have put on 6,000 miles in Minnesota and have enjoyed everyone. Speed control and power window placement questionable, cup holder is limited. Like the sport button-whole new car when on. Good daily driver, however, you must miss or slow down for every pot hole and RR Xing. Power top fast enough to put up and down in rush hour. If you buy this car must put a 3M clear bra on ($400). The hood is a rock magnet. Always a head turner. I will come out of a store and always see people looking in. This is my 4th BMW (1 325 xi, 1 325i, and 1 x5) by far the most impractical but ALWAYS the most fun. 35 male-Minnesota

I LOVE MY Z4
By Robert Dugan on 03/21/08 14:07 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car hugs the road so nicely it just give me goose bumps when I drive it. My mother thinks the car is the coolest and loves driving in it with the top down.

I love this car
By Tarzan on 12/27/07 07:16 AM (PST)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Fabulous car. Replaced a (blown) 97 Miata STO which was a spectacular car--but the Z has everything my beloved Miata did not (legroom, to name only one example!). I've had it for a couple of months now and just flat love this car. Performance is wonderful, build quality is stellar and chicks dig it. Only suggestion for improvement would be to increase interior storage space a bit. Very happy to have this car and would recommend it without hesitation.