Used 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

Good Car For The Price
By oldmarine5

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought from dealer with 5000 miles on it. Also, had a Z3. The style of the Z4 is not as nice as the Z3 but many features of the Z4 are an improvement. Great engine. Smooth with plenty of power. I am 6'2" and , unlike many two seaters, has good room for the driver. Expensive to maintain, but I only drive it on sunny days with the top down. Just hit 20,000 miles. Red color and gets lots of compliments. I am satisfied.

Power, trunk space, leg room.

Don't like electric steering. Not a fan of run flat tires.

Fun Car
By Tom

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Just completed 8000 miles between MI @ CA including Glacier Nat. Park. HWY 2, 20, 299,101 and 1. Gas mileage on reg gas 28 to 35 mpg. Have owned Datsun Z cars in past. This is the best.

Styling, comfort & mileage.

Dealership reliability.

The Good and the Bad
By Jason Y.

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Shortly after purchasing it used at 59,200 miles, the coolant light came on so I filled it up when the engine was cold and it continues to leak whenever the coolant expands with a hot engine. I'm guessing the coolant expansion tank is cracked. Other than the above mechanical issue this car draws a lot of semi-truck drivers attention and praises and other people on the road also. It feels like this car has sticky glue on the tires during fast turns. Manual 6-speed transmission shifts wonderfully. Not the fastest car on the road against say a Ford 500GT or any other hot rods but this Z4 has the right balance between styling and performance.

Open or close the soft top automatically in less than 15 seconds. Driver & Passenger heated seats (including the back of the body). 6 speed manual transmission. Flip-Up in-dash navigation screen & car statistics monitor display.

Have yet to fix the coolant leaking issue... my Z4 has to filled once every 40 or so miles driven. Also, the lack of interior storage is my pet-peeve. Only enough storage room for my pack of Orbit Gum next to me.

Disappointed
By Eric Morales

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

If you buy these cars, expect to shell out big bucks for repairs. We have an extended warranty which so far has been of no use because of water leakage. The top wouldn't open because of a leak. BMW at least paid for labor, parts still cost us 800.00. Now the wipers stopped working. Some part cracked and water again somehow got in. Going to cost 1100.00 to fix and again, it's not covered under the warranty. Great looking and handling car, but poorly built. Will never buy a BMW again.

Fun to drive, looks great, handles great.

How about making them more waterproof! Poor design quality on major parts. Warranty should cover more-wouldn't bother getting it again.

2003 BMW Z4 Premium/Sport Everything Rvw
By Jermy1304

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I was shopping for a sports car and shortly after driving this car I fell in love with it. The handling is amazing and it's got some "get up and go". I will warn you, IT IS A HIGH MAINTENANCE VEHICLE. I bought it 4 months ago with 62k and have had to do 10x as much work as I ever did on my Toyota Tacoma in 2 years. Convertible top doesn't work, Tire sensors were malfunctioning, Turn signal went out, Windshield Wipers malfunctioned, can't jack it up because it is so low, inconvenient access to almost everything, chews up tires because negative camber is set at 3% stock (change to 2% at next alignment )...and still, I am planning to buy a 2009 Z4 because they are THAT FUN! Warning: Chick Magnet.

Handling before I put 20 inch wheels on, Dream Red Leather Interior, Visibility with Top Down

Cup holders, Plastic pieces all over the car fall apart, Make Jack-Point compatible with a 3 inch jack, Stop using Torx bolts on everything, Waterproof/Build convertible top assembly better, No trunk compartment floor, Better tail light design that yellow circle on 2003, Better stock sound system