2003 BMW Z4 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:
Get out while you can
By mike229 on 10/02/13 12:44 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Those who owned the car and sold it are fortunate. Bought mine in 08 with 99K miles but dealer maintained. It was a fair weather driver and what a mistake. The car now has 104K miles and I've spent some $15K in repairs. Things like water pump, oil pump, alternator, motor mounts, numerous sensors and of course the top. I've replaced the hydraulic pump twice and the side pistons once. I've spent some $5000 just on the hydraulics. It seems the car is notorious for having leaks in the vaccum hose system. The cup holders never worked, and I just let that pass. It's almost as though I can expect a $500 repair each time I drive it. Not what I bargained for.

10 years of driving pleasure
By danwatson on 08/23/13 15:23 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I recently sold my 2003 Z4, purchased new in August, 2003. It had 52,000 nearly trouble free miles. It was never driven hard and always garaged. I was 52 with good knees when I bought it. Ten years later my wife and I have both had knee operations and getting in and out was a chore. Plus, at 6'3", getting in and out with the top up was a chore. With a wife who doesn't know how to pack lightly, anything more than an overnight trip wasn't practical due to the small trunk. Plus no back seat meant no rides for the dog or grandkids. So, it's gone and a new 128i convertible is on a big boat between Germany and the US with delivery expected soon. I hope I have as much fun with this one.

Disappointed in Quality
By magicdolphin on 11/04/11 17:41 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I only have 30000 miles on my BMW Z4 2003; I bought it out at the end of my lease; the elec. motor for the convertible top short circuit due to run off water that enters the plastic housing where the elec. motor sits in. The water can't drain and the electric motor will rust and quit. Very expensive repair, poor design. I had the housing replaced in 2008 and now it needs to be replaced again and of course my extended warranty won't cover the repair nor will the dealership ... very poor design indeed and not at all what I expected from BMW. I also just had to replace the rubber around the windshield and the cowel due to dry rot. I would have thought the convertible roof of a BMW would last

Can do
By RG on 10/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Great running car. Driver seat wears where seat belt rubs exposing under layer. Car is good handling and gives full feel of road changes. Actually drove around deer standing on freeway while going 55 and it felt like 25 mph. Quick response steering and extremely stable. No dealerships for 400 miles found good private shop. Still a thrill to drive every time after year and a half. Switched from motorcycle to z4 no regrets!

Needs improvement
By Wolf on 05/24/10 22:21 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Owned the car since 2004 has now 82,000 miles, performed well under warranty, had to replace the motor for the convertible top at 42,000 mi and now again at 82,000. both times the elec. motor short circuit due to run off water that enters the plastic housing where the elec. motor sits in. The water can't drain and the electr. motor will rust and quit. Very expensive repair, poor design. Car handles great, fun to drive on smooth roads but noisy, and potholes are deadly and my wife hates to put on her make-up while we are driving, rough ride

Would be great if I could steer it!
By Joe M on 05/09/10 04:50 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Very nice and fun to drive, however when the temperature gets over 80 degrees the power electronic steering stops working. This is a known problem to BMW (bulletin # 4515500-02) and a safety issue but they want $3000 to fix it. - So much for German Engineering, maybe it never gets above 80 degrees in Baveria!

Plus and Minus
By zzzzzzzzippy on 11/14/09 00:45 AM (PST)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought our jet black '03 with 23,750 mi. on it (our 5th sports car, out 1st BMW). 2.5L eng, Premium and conven. packages, auto trans, 18" ellipsis wheels w/RFTs. Handles well. Electric steering so it gives no feedback thru steering wheel. Accelerates well, esp between 45 and 80. Seat bottoms aren't very comfortable after 45 min. Less interior storage space than a Miata. Roomy trunk for a sports car (no spare tire w/RFT pkg). Electronic displays are hard to read in daylight. Dynamic Stability Control necessitates alignments being performed by dealer - $90. Dealer oil changes are $90. Beautiful car that draws lots of attention from other drivers and pedestrians. Shrinking violets need not apply!

I still love it
By Stephanie on 08/21/09 11:15 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My car has 125000 and I still LOVE the Z4 after 5 years. It is comfortable, has good gas mileage (31 mpg on highway) even though I am low to the ground, I feel safe on the rainy, winding roads. The only problem I have ever had is not mechanical, the front skirt is so low to the ground that I had to change it twice because it broke. It is so reliable and fun to drive that I will drive it until the end!

First model year blues
By Mike W on 05/04/09 08:10 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car in January to just drive in good weather. While the car is fun to drive, it only gets 20mpg on premium. In 4 months I replaced the valve cover, oil pan and oil filter gaskets. My mechanic said this is nothing out of the ordinary. The driver's air bag light will not turn off, 5 other sensors do not function, the side mirror control does not work, the drink holders do not come out, the radio and single disk CD player have problems, etc. I wrote to BMW given these are non-mileage issues and no response. I was used to Nissan "Z" cars that go and go with no problems. What a disappointment.

Still Like it After 6 Years
By Uncle Dan on 05/03/09 18:36 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second review. First one was in 2005 when it was 2 years old. Now has 38,000 miles. Reliability has been good - no problems. Maintenance costs high, but it's a BMW. Great road car. Handles superbly and engine and manual transmission match perfectly.