Used 2003 BMW Z4 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Great Car
By Bob

Sexy little 2 seater Fun to drive
By BG

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Look for a well cared for car. These cars beg for you to push them. One that is taken care of will give you years of enjoyment. The car has the look that many will envy. its fun to drive and if you get a premium equipt model you will not be disappointed. Enough said.

2003 Z4 3.0 manual Long-term driver
By Don Avirett

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have driven this car on the highway at 80 mph for 1 hr each way to work for the last 4 years. I bought it with 107k miles and it now has 224 k miles and runs like new and looks almost new. The only things I have done to it besides tires and brake pads is an AC compressor, a starter, front end stabilizer bar, front left wheel bearings, valve cover gasket repair, and a radio; all normal maintenance stuff. I never take it to a BMW dealer for repair. Almost any regular mechanic can work on it and they do not charge high prices. If you get your parts through a regular parts store, they are not expensive. Also, I had rear main seal leak that I fixed with Lucas stop leak. I do not like the electronic power steering; it's a little different, but I've gotten used to it. The car has a lot of get up and go but it could use a little more power to demoralize Texas turbo diesel pickups. I drive the car through hailstorms, snowstorms, and windstorms of the Texas Panhandle, and it performs amazingly well. It gets about 27 mpg on the highway.

Get out while you can
By mike229

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Those who owned the car and sold it are fortunate. Bought mine in 08 with 99K miles but dealer maintained. It was a fair weather driver and what a mistake. The car now has 104K miles and I've spent some $15K in repairs. Things like water pump, oil pump, alternator, motor mounts, numerous sensors and of course the top. I've replaced the hydraulic pump twice and the side pistons once. I've spent some $5000 just on the hydraulics. It seems the car is notorious for having leaks in the vaccum hose system. The cup holders never worked, and I just let that pass. It's almost as though I can expect a $500 repair each time I drive it. Not what I bargained for.

I like the body style but after what I have invested there is not much else.

The car is 10 years old and BMW has moved on to the hardtop convertibles. There is nothing to suggest for these E85s.

10 years of driving pleasure
By danwatson

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I recently sold my 2003 Z4, purchased new in August, 2003. It had 52,000 nearly trouble free miles. It was never driven hard and always garaged. I was 52 with good knees when I bought it. Ten years later my wife and I have both had knee operations and getting in and out was a chore. Plus, at 6'3", getting in and out with the top up was a chore. With a wife who doesn't know how to pack lightly, anything more than an overnight trip wasn't practical due to the small trunk. Plus no back seat meant no rides for the dog or grandkids. So, it's gone and a new 128i convertible is on a big boat between Germany and the US with delivery expected soon. I hope I have as much fun with this one.

Handling and performance.

Just be prepared for a small car with little extra room.

• SUV