2003 BMW Z4 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:
Get out while you can
By mike229 on 10/02/13 12:44 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Those who owned the car and sold it are fortunate. Bought mine in 08 with 99K miles but dealer maintained. It was a fair weather driver and what a mistake. The car now has 104K miles and I've spent some $15K in repairs. Things like water pump, oil pump, alternator, motor mounts, numerous sensors and of course the top. I've replaced the hydraulic pump twice and the side pistons once. I've spent some $5000 just on the hydraulics. It seems the car is notorious for having leaks in the vaccum hose system. The cup holders never worked, and I just let that pass. It's almost as though I can expect a $500 repair each time I drive it. Not what I bargained for.

10 years of driving pleasure
By danwatson on 08/23/13 15:23 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I recently sold my 2003 Z4, purchased new in August, 2003. It had 52,000 nearly trouble free miles. It was never driven hard and always garaged. I was 52 with good knees when I bought it. Ten years later my wife and I have both had knee operations and getting in and out was a chore. Plus, at 6'3", getting in and out with the top up was a chore. With a wife who doesn't know how to pack lightly, anything more than an overnight trip wasn't practical due to the small trunk. Plus no back seat meant no rides for the dog or grandkids. So, it's gone and a new 128i convertible is on a big boat between Germany and the US with delivery expected soon. I hope I have as much fun with this one.

Good Car For The Price
By oldmarine5 on 05/29/13 14:33 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought from dealer with 5000 miles on it. Also, had a Z3. The style of the Z4 is not as nice as the Z3 but many features of the Z4 are an improvement. Great engine. Smooth with plenty of power. I am 6'2" and , unlike many two seaters, has good room for the driver. Expensive to maintain, but I only drive it on sunny days with the top down. Just hit 20,000 miles. Red color and gets lots of compliments. I am satisfied.

Disappointed in Quality
By magicdolphin on 11/04/11 17:41 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I only have 30000 miles on my BMW Z4 2003; I bought it out at the end of my lease; the elec. motor for the convertible top short circuit due to run off water that enters the plastic housing where the elec. motor sits in. The water can't drain and the electric motor will rust and quit. Very expensive repair, poor design. I had the housing replaced in 2008 and now it needs to be replaced again and of course my extended warranty won't cover the repair nor will the dealership ... very poor design indeed and not at all what I expected from BMW. I also just had to replace the rubber around the windshield and the cowel due to dry rot. I would have thought the convertible roof of a BMW would last

Can do
By RG on 10/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Great running car. Driver seat wears where seat belt rubs exposing under layer. Car is good handling and gives full feel of road changes. Actually drove around deer standing on freeway while going 55 and it felt like 25 mph. Quick response steering and extremely stable. No dealerships for 400 miles found good private shop. Still a thrill to drive every time after year and a half. Switched from motorcycle to z4 no regrets!

Fun Car
By Tom on 08/08/10 12:39 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Just completed 8000 miles between MI @ CA including Glacier Nat. Park. HWY 2, 20, 299,101 and 1. Gas mileage on reg gas 28 to 35 mpg. Have owned Datsun Z cars in past. This is the best.

Needs improvement
By Wolf on 05/24/10 22:21 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Owned the car since 2004 has now 82,000 miles, performed well under warranty, had to replace the motor for the convertible top at 42,000 mi and now again at 82,000. both times the elec. motor short circuit due to run off water that enters the plastic housing where the elec. motor sits in. The water can't drain and the electr. motor will rust and quit. Very expensive repair, poor design. Car handles great, fun to drive on smooth roads but noisy, and potholes are deadly and my wife hates to put on her make-up while we are driving, rough ride

Would be great if I could steer it!
By Joe M on 05/09/10 04:50 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Very nice and fun to drive, however when the temperature gets over 80 degrees the power electronic steering stops working. This is a known problem to BMW (bulletin # 4515500-02) and a safety issue but they want $3000 to fix it. - So much for German Engineering, maybe it never gets above 80 degrees in Baveria!

The Good and the Bad
By Jason Y. on 01/03/10 10:49 AM (PST)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Shortly after purchasing it used at 59,200 miles, the coolant light came on so I filled it up when the engine was cold and it continues to leak whenever the coolant expands with a hot engine. I'm guessing the coolant expansion tank is cracked. Other than the above mechanical issue this car draws a lot of semi-truck drivers attention and praises and other people on the road also. It feels like this car has sticky glue on the tires during fast turns. Manual 6-speed transmission shifts wonderfully. Not the fastest car on the road against say a Ford 500GT or any other hot rods but this Z4 has the right balance between styling and performance.

Disappointed
By Eric Morales on 11/24/09 12:26 PM (PST)

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

If you buy these cars, expect to shell out big bucks for repairs. We have an extended warranty which so far has been of no use because of water leakage. The top wouldn't open because of a leak. BMW at least paid for labor, parts still cost us 800.00. Now the wipers stopped working. Some part cracked and water again somehow got in. Going to cost 1100.00 to fix and again, it's not covered under the warranty. Great looking and handling car, but poorly built. Will never buy a BMW again.