Used 2003 BMW Z4 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

Get out while you can
By mike229

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Those who owned the car and sold it are fortunate. Bought mine in 08 with 99K miles but dealer maintained. It was a fair weather driver and what a mistake. The car now has 104K miles and I've spent some $15K in repairs. Things like water pump, oil pump, alternator, motor mounts, numerous sensors and of course the top. I've replaced the hydraulic pump twice and the side pistons once. I've spent some $5000 just on the hydraulics. It seems the car is notorious for having leaks in the vaccum hose system. The cup holders never worked, and I just let that pass. It's almost as though I can expect a $500 repair each time I drive it. Not what I bargained for.

Favorite Features

I like the body style but after what I have invested there is not much else.

Suggested Improvements

The car is 10 years old and BMW has moved on to the hardtop convertibles. There is nothing to suggest for these E85s.

10 years of driving pleasure
By danwatson

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I recently sold my 2003 Z4, purchased new in August, 2003. It had 52,000 nearly trouble free miles. It was never driven hard and always garaged. I was 52 with good knees when I bought it. Ten years later my wife and I have both had knee operations and getting in and out was a chore. Plus, at 6'3", getting in and out with the top up was a chore. With a wife who doesn't know how to pack lightly, anything more than an overnight trip wasn't practical due to the small trunk. Plus no back seat meant no rides for the dog or grandkids. So, it's gone and a new 128i convertible is on a big boat between Germany and the US with delivery expected soon. I hope I have as much fun with this one.

Favorite Features

Handling and performance.

Suggested Improvements

Just be prepared for a small car with little extra room.

Good Car For The Price
By oldmarine5

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought from dealer with 5000 miles on it. Also, had a Z3. The style of the Z4 is not as nice as the Z3 but many features of the Z4 are an improvement. Great engine. Smooth with plenty of power. I am 6'2" and , unlike many two seaters, has good room for the driver. Expensive to maintain, but I only drive it on sunny days with the top down. Just hit 20,000 miles. Red color and gets lots of compliments. I am satisfied.

Favorite Features

Power, trunk space, leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Don't like electric steering. Not a fan of run flat tires.

Disappointed in Quality
By magicdolphin

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I only have 30000 miles on my BMW Z4 2003; I bought it out at the end of my lease; the elec. motor for the convertible top short circuit due to run off water that enters the plastic housing where the elec. motor sits in. The water can't drain and the electric motor will rust and quit. Very expensive repair, poor design. I had the housing replaced in 2008 and now it needs to be replaced again and of course my extended warranty won't cover the repair nor will the dealership ... very poor design indeed and not at all what I expected from BMW. I also just had to replace the rubber around the windshield and the cowel due to dry rot. I would have thought the convertible roof of a BMW would last

Favorite Features

It is fun to drive but would be more fun if I could put the roof down. Great if you just plan to lease but don't count on long term quality for the price you'll pay.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality materials should be used for the price charged, not to mention lousy cup holders, , paint is coming off on interior door handles , rubber around windshield and cowel need to be of better quality. Considering that one of the main feature is it's a convertible it fails miserably in having proper encasing of the working parts. BMW should do a recall to fix the problem and stop charging owners every few years for this costly repair.

Can do
By RG

2003 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Great running car. Driver seat wears where seat belt rubs exposing under layer. Car is good handling and gives full feel of road changes. Actually drove around deer standing on freeway while going 55 and it felt like 25 mph. Quick response steering and extremely stable. No dealerships for 400 miles found good private shop. Still a thrill to drive every time after year and a half. Switched from motorcycle to z4 no regrets!

Favorite Features

Sport drive, heated seats, solid feel, and excellent design. Triptonic trans. Pretty quiet for convertible.

Suggested Improvements

Non run flats.Shop won't fix recommend replacement if goes flat. My car has custom wheels and tires and get AAA platinum membership.