2007 BMW Z4 M Consumer Review: The Last True M Car?

2007 BMW Z4 M - Consumer Review

Base Coupe (3.2L 6-cyl. 6-speed Manual)

The Last True M Car?
By epbrown on

2007 BMW Z4 M 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Possibly my favorite car ever. Driving the Z4M provides a fun, visceral experience I just didn't get from the Cayman S I test drove. The car is more challenging to the driver than the Porsche, but all the best sports car elements are there - the brakes and steering from the CSL, a firm suspension, the revvy S54 engine and a LSD, wrapped in a taut sculpted package that I think is the most successful of the flame-surfaced cars of the Bangle regime. This is a BMW M without the compromises required to genuflect at the alter of practicality required of the other M cars. I also like that you don't see the Z4 M Coupe everywhere - in over a year of ownership, I've seen only two others on the road.

The Z4MC looks like an exotic that cost twice the money, outside with its creased lines and curves as well as inside with its neo-minimalist interior. I love BMW inline-6 cylinder engines and the M Coupe looks to be the last normally-aspirated high- performance inline-6 we'll see from the company.

As others have mentioned, the tires don't suit the car's performance - magazine reviews might have been more favorable with Michelin PS2s on the car. Yes, the Continentals were fine for the E46 M3, but the Z4M isn't a sports sedan, but a full-blown sports car; BMW should have gone to the next level.