Used 2002 BMW Z3 3.0i Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z3 model:

Not quite a sports car
By Neil

2002 BMW Z3 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My Z3 runs great and has been very reliable, BUT when the finish peeled off the wheels BMW told me the warranty only covers if the wheels don't go round. The seats move forward and back as I speed up or slow down. I did have an Austin Healy in the 60s and this car does not measure up. The shifter gating is vague, the seats are not comfortable for any distance (I guess that is why I never need to worry about fuel range), the interior fittings are always falling apart. Even the logo washes off of the emblems. When I have to wait SIX WEEKS for a ABS sensor that I cannot drive without I am not happy. I can get parts for My TR8 quicker and that is more fun to drive.

Good engine, good handling.

Seats that are stable and fit humans, more lateral support, better shifter gating. Larger boot. More durable interior and exterior trim. More durable finish on wheels.

Finally bought one
By NC02Z3

2002 BMW Z3 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We finally bought of these retro-looking beauties. The price tag was just too high originally but we found a nice ultra-low mileage model for half the original list. This 3.0 liter steptronic is everything it is said to be. Just excellent performance, especially the handling. It didn't hurt that we bought some new Goodyear F1 all-season tires. The interior is just classic w/everything laid out quite well. The gas mileage is OK, not great, but 225 HP will do that. Comparing this car with a Miata is a joke. No way! Maybe because they are both roadsters I guess. The Z3 is more in the Boxster or Audi TT class. Grab a Z3 before the low mileage ones are all gone! The Z4 changed too much.

Retro-style roadster with modern electronics, engine, etc. Outstanding 3.0 liter performance that gives incredible straight-line acceleration that almost compares with American muscle. Not quite but very impressive for a car of this type. The feel is exhilarating!

I'm sure the Z4 has improvements with things like the DSC (wheel sensors, etc..) and idiot dash lights that stay on. The high cost of maintenance stinks, but it is a BMW. I guess it goes with the territory.

Z3 - 2002 3.0L
By AnnieZ3

2002 BMW Z3 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is the most legal fun you can have! The only complaint I have is about the HORRIBLE Harman-Kardon speakers... I have heard better in a VW Beetle. There is no excuse for BMW to use this poor quality. It is one of those things you understand that you will just HAVE to replace.

The sound of that motor! Also, corners like a champ!

Improve seat comfort and please... those Harmon-Kardon speakers couldn't be worse.

Total blast!
By mexibec04

2002 BMW Z3 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd BMW (325 '96, 528i '99). It's a total blast to drive! I loved the 528i handling (which reviews made the best production sedan ever), but the Z3 must use some technology that flat-out reads my mind. I mean, the handling is just telepathic. I caught myself changing lane in for sure less than 0.1 second at 80 mph (typical on a non-jammed CA highway) by a slight movement of the steering wheel. This car means business. It goes where you want it to go, and DSC keeps the the oversteer in check (the Z3 *will* oversteer when pushed agressively with DSC disabled) It jas the looks, the handling, and the 'cachet', and IMHO, no other roadster (Z4 included) matches its sleek styling.

Telepathic handling, exterior design, interior comfort (of course harsh, but it's balanced enough to provide a great feel of what the car is doing).

Well, it's discontinued... But I would have liked goodies such as Xenon light (I put Xenon bulbs though), a glass rear window, a smaller, auto-dimming mirror and steering wheel-mounted radio and cruise controls. Well yeah, it's a BMW after all.

RRZ3
By Richmmm

2002 BMW Z3 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've loaded mine up with the Dinan upgrades and it runs like a dream