Used 2002 BMW Z3 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Bmw Z3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Z3 model:

Sweet little car!
By CindyLou

2002 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it used with 19,000 miles [now has 47,000]. Has been great on gas mileage, about 23-24 MPG. It must have highest octane or it coughs alot! Back window seems fragile; scratched despite putting a towel in the fold when I open the top. BIG problem however with the radio code; replaced battery, and radio locked. Got code from BMW dealer; have never been able to reset and get radio/CD to work, despite following all instructions. Also door metal seems fragile; gets tiny dents so easily that I now park far away from other cars. Glove compartment is badly designed; stuff falls down and out when opened, no edge on it. Otherwise good looker with great performance! So fun with top down!

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, cozy cockpit. Great acceleration, good gas mileage. Trunk is spacious. Love the warm taupe color with black top.

Suggested Improvements

Wish radio code were easier to re-set; I miss my music and BMW doesn't seem to care much. Floor mat rug slides around under driver's feet, annoying. Back windows are now more rigid and durable I hear.

Not quite a sports car
By Neil

2002 BMW Z3 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My Z3 runs great and has been very reliable, BUT when the finish peeled off the wheels BMW told me the warranty only covers if the wheels don't go round. The seats move forward and back as I speed up or slow down. I did have an Austin Healy in the 60s and this car does not measure up. The shifter gating is vague, the seats are not comfortable for any distance (I guess that is why I never need to worry about fuel range), the interior fittings are always falling apart. Even the logo washes off of the emblems. When I have to wait SIX WEEKS for a ABS sensor that I cannot drive without I am not happy. I can get parts for My TR8 quicker and that is more fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Good engine, good handling.

Suggested Improvements

Seats that are stable and fit humans, more lateral support, better shifter gating. Larger boot. More durable interior and exterior trim. More durable finish on wheels.

Finally bought one
By NC02Z3

2002 BMW Z3 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We finally bought of these retro-looking beauties. The price tag was just too high originally but we found a nice ultra-low mileage model for half the original list. This 3.0 liter steptronic is everything it is said to be. Just excellent performance, especially the handling. It didn't hurt that we bought some new Goodyear F1 all-season tires. The interior is just classic w/everything laid out quite well. The gas mileage is OK, not great, but 225 HP will do that. Comparing this car with a Miata is a joke. No way! Maybe because they are both roadsters I guess. The Z3 is more in the Boxster or Audi TT class. Grab a Z3 before the low mileage ones are all gone! The Z4 changed too much.

Favorite Features

Retro-style roadster with modern electronics, engine, etc. Outstanding 3.0 liter performance that gives incredible straight-line acceleration that almost compares with American muscle. Not quite but very impressive for a car of this type. The feel is exhilarating!

Suggested Improvements

I'm sure the Z4 has improvements with things like the DSC (wheel sensors, etc..) and idiot dash lights that stay on. The high cost of maintenance stinks, but it is a BMW. I guess it goes with the territory.

I love my Z3
By obnixe

2002 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a 2002 BMW Z3 2.5i 3 days ago and this is the most fun I have ever had in a car. I am 22 years old and I am having 50 year old guys telling me that I have a nice car. Tell that isn't a good feeling when everybody wants the car you are driving.

Favorite Features

I love the heated seats and the side curtain air bags.

Suggested Improvements

More trunk space.

Z3 - 2002 3.0L
By AnnieZ3

2002 BMW Z3 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is the most legal fun you can have! The only complaint I have is about the HORRIBLE Harman-Kardon speakers... I have heard better in a VW Beetle. There is no excuse for BMW to use this poor quality. It is one of those things you understand that you will just HAVE to replace.

Favorite Features

The sound of that motor! Also, corners like a champ!

Suggested Improvements

Improve seat comfort and please... those Harmon-Kardon speakers couldn't be worse.