2001 BMW Z3 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Z3 model:
Instant classic
By Bill in AZ on 08/06/10 10:45 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW Z3 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my Z3 in December 2009 - have owned it for 8 months. Love the styling, performance, ride & handling. Purchased extended warranty & glad I did. It has already paid for itself. Issue with emissions, front bushings & ball joints, motor mount replaced, 1 window lift, fan clutch, alt tensioner, & water pump. All this would have cost $4500 - only $500 with warr. Key remote has been flaky - will not fail when at dealership. Having said that - it always starts and I drive it every day on my 70 mile commute. Love the car, gets lots of comments - a real head turner. Getting close to 25 mpg with mostly highway driving, some local (80/20).

Fun to drive
By Bill on 01/30/10 14:55 PM (PST)

2001 BMW Z3 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Z3 3.0 a month ago & have loved every minute of it. Very nice ride & comfort for a roadster. The I6 is very quick & responsive. Very tight and solid ride with no rattles. Averaging about 24 mpg mixed highway and city. Very quiet for a convertible. Top is very tight.

Fun, Fun, Fun
By WHOOPZEE on 08/25/08 11:59 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW Z3 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car has been great fun at a low cost. You can find a Z3 in great condition at a reasonable cost. It is a real enthusiasts car, with excellent power, great handling, and smiles every time you get behind the wheel.

Great looks & Great drive
By gatoralias on 07/01/08 09:51 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW Z3 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased 2001 Z3 3.0 June 2008. Car is in immaculate condition. Test drove in the rain well. Tight handling, stiff ride (fine with me!), and exciting response. Doesn't blow around on the interstate. Answers the need for speed quickly. The 5 speed manual transmission is great fun. I am enjoying driving it very much even though I have to keep wiping the drool from my friends off the car.

First BMW
By Brandon on 10/09/05 16:47 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW Z3 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I recently bought and certified this car. This is an ultimate driving machine. Not only does it run and feel like a roadster should, it comes with the looks and ladies too.

my beamer
By bruce jones on 09/23/05 14:45 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW Z3 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is so much fun to drive, my wife refers to it´s economy as "smiles per gallon". It has the feel of the road and agility of a sports car you would expect,but still rides like a much bigger car. There is no rough ride or road noise like you get from a Miata. It looks so damn nice parked in my yard it makes me smile just looking at it.

Sunday Cruiser, Backroad Buster
By PILOT8127 on 08/15/05 22:01 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW Z3 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

BMW's low profile, snearing, snarling front end is what attracted me to the Z3 model. With it's flared wheelwells, shark-gill slits and flattend eyebrow headlamps it just speaks motion. After two Corvettes (a 1970, and a 1980), the Z3 had to perform to keep my interest. WOW! Does it perform. With the 3.0 liter engine and AUTOstick tranny, full power burnouts are the norm with the DSC in the off position. The in-line SIX is both smooth and linear, it pulls right from idle and revs quickly. This car is by far the most FUN I've ever had out on the road. And, it turns heads where ever I go with it. Probably the best bang for the buck in sportscar driving! Try on a Z3 for yourself.

Bye bye Z3; I'm gonna miss you.
By Mike on 01/16/05 18:31 PM (PST)

2001 BMW Z3 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had the Z since 5/02 and have put 10K miles on it, driving in good weather only. It is drafty, noisy and uncomfortable. The sound system is boomy with the top up and muddy with it down. Buying a rear windscreen helped a lot. The M3 leather seats are too hot and too tight and it's hard to find a comfortable position. The plastic window is impossible to clean as are the premium wheels. It's hard to get in and out of. But... The paint quality is great; it really shines up. The torque is incredible; downshifts aren't required for highway passing. The 5 speed is smooth; the steering precise. The DSC helped me a few times. The car is just getting broken in. I'm gonna miss it.

Fun car but....
By PinkysMommy on 11/30/04 19:49 PM (PST)

2001 BMW Z3 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Had a 318i for 7 years- never a problem with repairs, etc. Only got rid of it because it had 100,000+ miles on it and was worried it might start breaking down. Bought the Z3 as a preowned vehicle - with warranty. Have had it in shop countless times, last time being it needed a new radiator - have had lots of repair issues, it is now just out of warranty and I am hoping it will not break down any more. Love the car, it's cute and fun but disappointed in repairs so far. Other BMWs superior to this one :(

The Z3 is the car of my dreams
By Karl Z on 09/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW Z3 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the 3.0 on 02.2004 and since then, I can say that is so fun to drive. Everyone loves it!!!I installed the BMW Harman Kardon Traffic Pro GPS system The Z3 is a real classic.