Used 2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z3 model:

Weekend car... Thats all
By DiVa_3181377

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 2dr Convertible

Bought a used one 3 years back with 112K. Most of the parts which last a longer than a VW or a Honda, this car needs replacement. I started from the struts, shocks, brakes, complete rear suspension overhaul (bushings, links etc), all fluids, then the DME (engine computer) and then the whole cooling system replacement. Replaced most of the parts and since the steering is not rock solid as the VW that i have with 118K. Also it whines (differential / central bearing) which is really annoying. Spend almost 5K on repair while doing my self and still not done. Except engine and transmission, everything else needs replacement at 100K. Now the car is reliable and can drive, but not silent (the stupid whine of some bearing) and the loose steering. City mpg is like 20+ with premium (with regular also it is same). AC barely cools in Texas summer. 2.5L I 6 engine produces 170hp with 181ft torque which is same as I4 engine of a VW turbo. Big engine, not that fast / high in specs. It sounds nice, looks cool. That's all. If you know how to fix cars, this car is for you. It can last like 300k. Engine (except the VANOS seals and VCG), has been rock solid. Also the transmission. Just like all the BMW's, anything else is not reliable. It is a fun car (not so much for 0-60).

Quite a ride. Worth the coin.
By stevie63

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 2dr Convertible

Bought the car after servicing it for a client for ten yrs. What a great,great car. Reliable,fun,light, well made. I did pop for a Shark Injector plug in performance module. It was WELL worth the money. The M52TU benefited well from the upgrades. In short,fun and rewarding to drive and own.

Exhaust note.

Ten percent stiffer springs.

Update of 2002 Review
By GaryA

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 2dr Convertible

I wrote an earlier review of the Z3 and mistyped V6 when I knew the 2.5 L engine in the 2.3 model is an inline 6. Anyway, have now put on around 80k miles and this car still drives like new. Just as tight, no rattles or body noises. Great car.

Acceleration, exterior body styling. I like the size of the Z3 more than the Z4.

Rear window, but that's not a big deal.

Wonderful Little Car
By wcohn

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 2dr Convertible

As a 'mid-life' crisis car, this vehicle stands out. People acost me everywhere with a 'nice car'. In spite of all that, it's simply a wonderful drive. Find a nice uncrowded country road on a nice day, put the top down and turn up the stereo. This will validate everything about getting it. I've had mine since 2002 (it's 2010 now), and I have no thought of selling it. Stay on top of maintenance (BMW service is expensive), in order to minimize theses costs and maximize utility and fun.

exterior design, performance and handling. This car is a blast to drive.

Glass rear window - plastic is hard to see through. Stereo could be better - will probably fix that soon.

Amazing!
By Pong123

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 2dr Convertible

I have enjoyed my Z for a number of years. I love the performance and how it hugs the road. My only complaint would be the heater knob. The wire that adjusts the heat has broke 3 times and is not cheap to fix. Other than this I have not had any problems. I thought about upgrading to a Z4 but I just love the style and reliability of my Z. Great investment! Sweet ride!

Red leather seats!

This car needs more accessories for after market.