1999 BMW Z3 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Z3 model:
12 years later and it still turns heads
By jdisan on 11/17/12 15:10 PM (PST)

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

I leased this car new in 1999 and it was so great I bought it at lease end in 2002. Now 2012 and all I have done is add a front strut brace (highly recommended and simple to install) and the car is still the best I have owned. Steel Grey, chrome package, with chrome wheels is unbelievable. I store it in the winter. Never seen snow, barely seen rain. 30k miles. And i drive it hard, run it to rev limiter regularly, etc. It's like driving a go-cart, not for all but for enthusiasts really great. Fun to drive, amazing exhaust note and the engine runs easy at 4k and will just hang there between shifts. Even today, as 12 year old car, people stop and look and ask. Timeless for sure.

99 Z3 Roadster, 2.3, 5 spd manual
By carguy2021 on 07/25/12 12:27 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

Great solid car, extremely reliable for me. Bought it with 122k on it, sold it with 140k. Needed front suspension parts replaced, which is no surprise with that many miles, but did the work myself and found that aftermarket parts are cheap online. Only real issue I experienced was the airbag light came on. Good gas mileage, and the straight 6 cylinder motor sounds awesome! Stereo is absolutely horrible. Mine did not have the optional Harmon Kardon stereo, which I assume is better. Would recommend this car - very classic and sexy looking exterior. Simple interior.

Cruising Top Down
By Martin on 05/27/10 18:53 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

Sweet looking car. It's very quick and nimble. Drove it 5,000 mi this winter from Florida to NH. Handles great in snow. With cruise control got over 30 mpg traveling 75 mph. Love to drive around with top down and wind in my hair.

THIS is BMW quality?
By Retrobucky on 06/21/08 07:07 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

My '99 Z3 (bought Feb '08, 48K miles) still looks great on the outside and powertrain has held up well. Surprised that interior plastic parts are so chintzy, such as loose power drivers seat, cup holder cover, and cracked/broken seat belt restraint and parking brake handle. Radiator fan shroud also cracked and broke off. 6-CD changer in trunk has poor tolerance for bumps. Would not have expected all these issues at 49K miles.

Fun car for the money
By Doug on 01/23/07 05:37 AM (PST)

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

Fun to drive, good on gas, good quality product. Only major problem is with the sealed gas tank system. After the dealer put 2 gas caps on it and looked at it several times the warranty ran out and then they said I had a leak in the gas tank filler neck. They could not repair it?? They said I had to buy a new tank for around 400. I purchased a code reset reader and I turn off the code every times it tells me I have a leak. I do this from 2 times a month to sometimes only once in 3 months. I called the home office of bmw and they did not want to help me with the problem. I should have insisted they fix it when the warranty was in. Other than that I enjoy the car.

Enjoy the Sunshine
By Zcarfan on 08/23/05 17:32 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

Overall I love driving this car. It is great for the Florida sunshine. The 2.3 model has plenty of power when you need it and the gas mileage is close to 35 mpg on the highway. The top is cheeply made and needs a glass window. I also have problems with the fuel sensor malfunctioning regularly. It is a blast to drive around town but use another car if you are going on a long trip.

Individual style flawless performance
By CT Car Nut on 08/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

Z3's give a great modern interpretation of a classic roadster. We all know how they look so Iím not going to talk about that. With 70,000 miles of New England driving I can say I have had few problems. I bought my 2.3 from lease trade in. My dealer replaced the front control arms after I test drove the car. I noticed nothing wrong in the test drive so Iím not sure why they replaced them but I guess I can just be happy they did. The only other item was the air bag light came on at about 55,000 miles and to turn it off the seat belt receptacle needed to be replace for $400. The rest has been change oil and filers and brakes just normal maintenance

A Sportscar for the real world
By White-Z3 on 07/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

If you can and do push this car to it's limits on the street, you are driving the wrong car in the wrong place. If you want a car that looks great , makes you feel good every time you drive it,and has the comfort for a long trip,then this is the one. The inline six will pull strong in any gear so shifting is almost optional. The car stops - now - without being grabby. I have had no problems in 22k miles. We just drove the BlueRidge Parkway, I think the road was made for the Z3.

Good...not great..Handling BMW
By Z-Man on 06/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

First, let me say, I love this car. It is fun to drive and handles very VERY well. However, bumps in the road will defintely throw this light (2900lb) vehicle. Outside of that and the cupholder being in a very odd place, the car is perfect. The engine sounds wonderful, the interior and exterior detailing is beautiful. The engine runs smooth as silk and corners very nicely. Oh, and if you must indulge in this car, do not forget to find one with heated seats!

Couldn't ask for more!
By hexy34 on 02/28/02 18:32 PM (PST)

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

I just got my 99 2.3 a month ago and I smile every time I get in to drive it. Performance is smoother than expected, which is saying a lot. If you want to enjoy driving and don't have to worry about hauling more than one passenger, you can't go wrong with this car.