Used 1999 BMW Z3 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z3 model:

Just purchased Z3
By 70yearoldmale

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

Just purchased 1999 BMW Z3, one owner with 94,000 miles. Fun to drive, very responsive, my 1st sports car and exciting for 70 year old plain vanilla guy. Far exceeds my expectations for performance and overall quality and condition of a 15 year old car. I may keep this one for a lifetime since NC resident and can been @ blue ridge mountains in less than 3 hours and beach less than 4 hours

5 spped

12 years later and it still turns heads
By jdisan

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

I leased this car new in 1999 and it was so great I bought it at lease end in 2002. Now 2012 and all I have done is add a front strut brace (highly recommended and simple to install) and the car is still the best I have owned. Steel Grey, chrome package, with chrome wheels is unbelievable. I store it in the winter. Never seen snow, barely seen rain. 30k miles. And i drive it hard, run it to rev limiter regularly, etc. It's like driving a go-cart, not for all but for enthusiasts really great. Fun to drive, amazing exhaust note and the engine runs easy at 4k and will just hang there between shifts. Even today, as 12 year old car, people stop and look and ask. Timeless for sure.

99 Z3 Roadster, 2.3, 5 spd manual
By carguy2021

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

Great solid car, extremely reliable for me. Bought it with 122k on it, sold it with 140k. Needed front suspension parts replaced, which is no surprise with that many miles, but did the work myself and found that aftermarket parts are cheap online. Only real issue I experienced was the airbag light came on. Good gas mileage, and the straight 6 cylinder motor sounds awesome! Stereo is absolutely horrible. Mine did not have the optional Harmon Kardon stereo, which I assume is better. Would recommend this car - very classic and sexy looking exterior. Simple interior.

Handles like a go-kart, looks amazing. RELIABLE.

Airbag light came on. Interior a bit cheap looking.

Cruising Top Down
By Martin

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

Sweet looking car. It's very quick and nimble. Drove it 5,000 mi this winter from Florida to NH. Handles great in snow. With cruise control got over 30 mpg traveling 75 mph. Love to drive around with top down and wind in my hair.

Love the way the car handles. People are always trying to race with me.

Needs a glass rear window. Needs a cup holder.

THIS is BMW quality?
By Retrobucky

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

My '99 Z3 (bought Feb '08, 48K miles) still looks great on the outside and powertrain has held up well. Surprised that interior plastic parts are so chintzy, such as loose power drivers seat, cup holder cover, and cracked/broken seat belt restraint and parking brake handle. Radiator fan shroud also cracked and broke off. 6-CD changer in trunk has poor tolerance for bumps. Would not have expected all these issues at 49K miles.

Excellent handling, fun to drive, surprising get-up power with 2.3L (manual 5-speed). The whole look is still great, better than the Z4, I believe.

This model has vinyl seats (vinyl?!) and no cruise control, and of course a plastic rear window that one can take the softest known material found on this earth and still scratch it.