1999 BMW Z3 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Z3 model:
Just purchased Z3
By 70yearoldmale on 07/09/14 08:18 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

Just purchased 1999 BMW Z3, one owner with 94,000 miles. Fun to drive, very responsive, my 1st sports car and exciting for 70 year old plain vanilla guy. Far exceeds my expectations for performance and overall quality and condition of a 15 year old car. I may keep this one for a lifetime since NC resident and can been @ blue ridge mountains in less than 3 hours and beach less than 4 hours

12 years later and it still turns heads
By jdisan on 11/17/12 15:10 PM (PST)

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

I leased this car new in 1999 and it was so great I bought it at lease end in 2002. Now 2012 and all I have done is add a front strut brace (highly recommended and simple to install) and the car is still the best I have owned. Steel Grey, chrome package, with chrome wheels is unbelievable. I store it in the winter. Never seen snow, barely seen rain. 30k miles. And i drive it hard, run it to rev limiter regularly, etc. It's like driving a go-cart, not for all but for enthusiasts really great. Fun to drive, amazing exhaust note and the engine runs easy at 4k and will just hang there between shifts. Even today, as 12 year old car, people stop and look and ask. Timeless for sure.

99 Z3 Roadster, 2.3, 5 spd manual
By carguy2021 on 07/25/12 12:27 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

Great solid car, extremely reliable for me. Bought it with 122k on it, sold it with 140k. Needed front suspension parts replaced, which is no surprise with that many miles, but did the work myself and found that aftermarket parts are cheap online. Only real issue I experienced was the airbag light came on. Good gas mileage, and the straight 6 cylinder motor sounds awesome! Stereo is absolutely horrible. Mine did not have the optional Harmon Kardon stereo, which I assume is better. Would recommend this car - very classic and sexy looking exterior. Simple interior.

Cruising Top Down
By Martin on 05/27/10 18:53 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

Sweet looking car. It's very quick and nimble. Drove it 5,000 mi this winter from Florida to NH. Handles great in snow. With cruise control got over 30 mpg traveling 75 mph. Love to drive around with top down and wind in my hair.

THIS is BMW quality?
By Retrobucky on 06/21/08 07:07 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

My '99 Z3 (bought Feb '08, 48K miles) still looks great on the outside and powertrain has held up well. Surprised that interior plastic parts are so chintzy, such as loose power drivers seat, cup holder cover, and cracked/broken seat belt restraint and parking brake handle. Radiator fan shroud also cracked and broke off. 6-CD changer in trunk has poor tolerance for bumps. Would not have expected all these issues at 49K miles.

Fun car for the money
By Doug on 01/23/07 05:37 AM (PST)

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

Fun to drive, good on gas, good quality product. Only major problem is with the sealed gas tank system. After the dealer put 2 gas caps on it and looked at it several times the warranty ran out and then they said I had a leak in the gas tank filler neck. They could not repair it?? They said I had to buy a new tank for around 400. I purchased a code reset reader and I turn off the code every times it tells me I have a leak. I do this from 2 times a month to sometimes only once in 3 months. I called the home office of bmw and they did not want to help me with the problem. I should have insisted they fix it when the warranty was in. Other than that I enjoy the car.

FunFunFun!
By WireWheels on 10/13/05 20:17 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

Most fun to drive I've ever had. This is my sixth BMW and makes me feel good every time I look at it or drive it.

Enjoy the Sunshine
By Zcarfan on 08/23/05 17:32 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

Overall I love driving this car. It is great for the Florida sunshine. The 2.3 model has plenty of power when you need it and the gas mileage is close to 35 mpg on the highway. The top is cheeply made and needs a glass window. I also have problems with the fuel sensor malfunctioning regularly. It is a blast to drive around town but use another car if you are going on a long trip.

Individual style flawless performance
By CT Car Nut on 08/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.3 2dr Convertible

Z3's give a great modern interpretation of a classic roadster. We all know how they look so I’m not going to talk about that. With 70,000 miles of New England driving I can say I have had few problems. I bought my 2.3 from lease trade in. My dealer replaced the front control arms after I test drove the car. I noticed nothing wrong in the test drive so I’m not sure why they replaced them but I guess I can just be happy they did. The only other item was the air bag light came on at about 55,000 miles and to turn it off the seat belt receptacle needed to be replace for $400. The rest has been change oil and filers and brakes just normal maintenance

Wow...i like
By Silver w/blacktop on 12/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

Used to own a '97 2.3L Z3....this 2.8L is much better. The power behind this car is incredible, it's very fun to drive. The added roll bars provide better security. The seats are incredible: heated, holding capability, and comfort all rolled into one. Not very practical, but that's not its purpose. It's a very fun toy!