1998 BMW Z3 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Z3 model:
What A Ride!!!
By T Mc on 10/25/09 12:01 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

Bought this used about five years ago. No... REPEAT NO mechanic issues to date. Enjoyable drive, sharp look. In short, I'd buy this car over and over again.

Classic Roadster Formula Updated
By Teleny on 02/22/09 18:38 PM (PST)

1998 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

When this car first came out I was in grad school and was smitten by the styling. So once I graduated and got a job, I bought one!!! It's an awesome little roadster. It corners flat and with the 1.9 you don't have enough power to really make it loose it's composure. The 1.9 z3 has adequate power with the manual transmission and very good handling. I'd avoid the automatic b/c the engine does not provide enough torque. Having test drove a MR2 spider and a Miata, I prefer the Z3. It's better looking, better value and is extremely comfortable. Oh and my gas mileage has to be around 35mpg. I drove a 2.3 (slight improvement) and a 2.8 (seriously quick), but in the end preferred my 1.9

Hot stuff
By les benson on 07/10/08 14:33 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

This is a jazzy car. It looks more like a cartoon car from Roger Rabbit, than a street vehicle. Lows, fuel economy, tired back window. Highs, ride, look, reliability.

Love this car
By Jerry on 03/13/08 12:06 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

This is a keeper. It is fun to drive, has classic looks and seems to work most of the time. I have had to have a seatbelt replaced, replaced one sensor, and had recurrent problems with an annoying buzz in the bass speaker and have problems with one of the electric seat motors. The sound system is weak for a car this nice and the plastic window in the rag top is pretty cheap also. But overall it is a well built fun car. If you find one in good shape buy it and keep it.

First Sports Car
By Forest Green on 05/04/07 21:23 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

I had always wanted to own a Corvette, but when I reached the point where I had the cash to buy a sports car I opted for a BMW. My decision was driven by BMW's reputation for quality engineering and workmanship. Having owned a couple of BMW motorcycles and having ridden them from coast to coast and border to border more than once, I figured that a Z3 had to be a rugged machine if it was built like the motorcycles that roll out of the BMW factory. Driving a Z3 is just as much fun as riding a motorcycle and you get a lot more respect. BMW did a fantastic job of sculpting the sheet metal -- the car does attract attention where ever you drive it. I'll take my Z3 over a 'Vette any day.

Z3
By T Day on 01/03/07 18:39 PM (PST)

1998 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

I purchased my Z new in 1998 strictly as a toy. It is driven no more than 1000 to 15001 miles per year. I absolutely love how it performs on the back roads. We take it on weekend getaways during the summer and fall looking for challenging roads to use it to its full potential. It is a blast to drive and people who see it always have plenty of comments on how great she looks. Bring the original back!!

Best car I've ever owned.
By Will on 01/01/06 11:39 AM (PST)

1998 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

Fun, fun, fun. I bought this car used with 50,000 miles on it and drove it for two years and never had a problem with it, not one thing broke. The only thing I did was do oil changes and put gas. I would have still it if the car wasn't manual transmission and I didn't live in Miami (traffic is horrible here). Clearly the Z3 is one of BMW's best built cars.

I love it, but.....
By Kimberley on 07/17/05 18:37 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

I bought this car, because of it's looks and the price was fantastic!!! I love this car but, let me prequalify, my issues should be more with the previous owner than the manufacturer. The side window gaskets leak something terrible! So much so that the driver's side floor board is soft and spongy. The person that had changed their oil had left the small oil filter gasket in the filter housing on several occasions which resulted in the rings wearing out with time and crumbling into small bits all through the system and developing in a nasty oil leak and cost over $600.00 to fix. The hoses pop off for no apparent reason but, these do not detract from this beautiful car, in my opinion.

My M roadster
By Kevin on 06/14/05 14:35 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

This car is awesome! I purchased the M Roadster version of the Z3 which includes more horsepower(240hp) with a slightly larger 6 cyl. engine and a sportier suspension. The car drives and handles amazingly as if you are glued to the road. The performance is excellent with one flaw being the fast reving when your hard on the gas.the gas milage is decent when your not hard on the driving. The only problem I have had is the amount of room in the cockpit area. Movement is limited but that's what you expect with a 2 seat roadster. The two-tone black and blue leather interior is beautiful and goes very well with the silver paint. If you're looking for a Z3 but want a little more, check out the M!

What driving should profess to be...
By Marc on 02/24/05 10:59 AM (PST)

1998 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

Overall I would rate this car a definite buy with a few caveats. First, take a close look on all the repair work done on this vehicle. As most 1998 Beamers will have over 100,000 miles, I would be aware of what has been done and what is needed to ensure no surprises and fun in the sun. Make sure all 30,000 mileage inspections aII have been performed along with upkeep with the interior and tires. In addition, I would check all BMW's part recall information such as the thermostat replacement. My experience with the Z3 for the last 4+ years has been great. The car has a great engine and I feel the handling is decent. If you do your homework, you'll be very happy...