Used 1998 BMW Z3 1.9 Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z3 model:

Classic Roadster Formula Updated
By Teleny

1998 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

When this car first came out I was in grad school and was smitten by the styling. So once I graduated and got a job, I bought one!!! It's an awesome little roadster. It corners flat and with the 1.9 you don't have enough power to really make it loose it's composure. The 1.9 z3 has adequate power with the manual transmission and very good handling. I'd avoid the automatic b/c the engine does not provide enough torque. Having test drove a MR2 spider and a Miata, I prefer the Z3. It's better looking, better value and is extremely comfortable. Oh and my gas mileage has to be around 35mpg. I drove a 2.3 (slight improvement) and a 2.8 (seriously quick), but in the end preferred my 1.9

The styling still gets a lot of admiring looks even after all of these years. The car is well built and reliable. BMW does a great job with steering systems (it steers a lot like a 3) and it has a solid feel. Great mileage. It's a blast to drive and actually makes me look forward to go into work!

Better cup holders, the power tops all break (the 3 series as well!) and you don't really need them anyway. The interior is a little subpar for a Bimmer.

First Sports Car
By Forest Green

1998 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

I had always wanted to own a Corvette, but when I reached the point where I had the cash to buy a sports car I opted for a BMW. My decision was driven by BMW's reputation for quality engineering and workmanship. Having owned a couple of BMW motorcycles and having ridden them from coast to coast and border to border more than once, I figured that a Z3 had to be a rugged machine if it was built like the motorcycles that roll out of the BMW factory. Driving a Z3 is just as much fun as riding a motorcycle and you get a lot more respect. BMW did a fantastic job of sculpting the sheet metal -- the car does attract attention where ever you drive it. I'll take my Z3 over a 'Vette any day.

Body styling. The very clean look of the installed convertible top cover.

Devise a better way to anchor the convertibe top cover. The ball and socket grips are hard to connect.

Best car I've ever owned.
By Will

1998 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

Fun, fun, fun. I bought this car used with 50,000 miles on it and drove it for two years and never had a problem with it, not one thing broke. The only thing I did was do oil changes and put gas. I would have still it if the car wasn't manual transmission and I didn't live in Miami (traffic is horrible here). Clearly the Z3 is one of BMW's best built cars.

Manual top is quickly raised and lowered with one hand. Car design belongs in a museum. Handling and cornering is sweet. Great fuel economy.

None.

I love it, but.....
By Kimberley

1998 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

I bought this car, because of it's looks and the price was fantastic!!! I love this car but, let me prequalify, my issues should be more with the previous owner than the manufacturer. The side window gaskets leak something terrible! So much so that the driver's side floor board is soft and spongy. The person that had changed their oil had left the small oil filter gasket in the filter housing on several occasions which resulted in the rings wearing out with time and crumbling into small bits all through the system and developing in a nasty oil leak and cost over $600.00 to fix. The hoses pop off for no apparent reason but, these do not detract from this beautiful car, in my opinion.

The beautiful exterior of this car. It's a BMW.

Better window gaskets, replace plastic back window with glass. The cup holders are useless with their size and location. Plastic head light lenses yellow and dull with time. Doors tend to stick quite often. Window motors need to be replaced in time, could be from water because, of the leaking gasket

Too Much Fun
By Diana

1998 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

I am having a ball in this car. I've driven it roundtrip between Key West & Rochester, NY. Extremely comfortable for 14 hour days on the road. I just picked up my Christmas tree in it last weekend (top down, of course!) I want to tour the West and see the stars at night! Can't wait to go. If you want to be treated like a celebrity, drive this car!

Style, style, style. Heated leather seats. Comfortable, supportive seats. Pedestrians insist on giving ME the right-of-way.

If it only came with Bond, James Bond...