1998 BMW Z3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Z3 model:
Classic Roadster Formula Updated
By Teleny on 02/22/09 18:38 PM (PST)

1998 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

When this car first came out I was in grad school and was smitten by the styling. So once I graduated and got a job, I bought one!!! It's an awesome little roadster. It corners flat and with the 1.9 you don't have enough power to really make it loose it's composure. The 1.9 z3 has adequate power with the manual transmission and very good handling. I'd avoid the automatic b/c the engine does not provide enough torque. Having test drove a MR2 spider and a Miata, I prefer the Z3. It's better looking, better value and is extremely comfortable. Oh and my gas mileage has to be around 35mpg. I drove a 2.3 (slight improvement) and a 2.8 (seriously quick), but in the end preferred my 1.9

First Sports Car
By Forest Green on 05/04/07 21:23 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

I had always wanted to own a Corvette, but when I reached the point where I had the cash to buy a sports car I opted for a BMW. My decision was driven by BMW's reputation for quality engineering and workmanship. Having owned a couple of BMW motorcycles and having ridden them from coast to coast and border to border more than once, I figured that a Z3 had to be a rugged machine if it was built like the motorcycles that roll out of the BMW factory. Driving a Z3 is just as much fun as riding a motorcycle and you get a lot more respect. BMW did a fantastic job of sculpting the sheet metal -- the car does attract attention where ever you drive it. I'll take my Z3 over a 'Vette any day.

Best car I've ever owned.
By Will on 01/01/06 11:39 AM (PST)

1998 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

Fun, fun, fun. I bought this car used with 50,000 miles on it and drove it for two years and never had a problem with it, not one thing broke. The only thing I did was do oil changes and put gas. I would have still it if the car wasn't manual transmission and I didn't live in Miami (traffic is horrible here). Clearly the Z3 is one of BMW's best built cars.

I love it, but.....
By Kimberley on 07/17/05 18:37 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

I bought this car, because of it's looks and the price was fantastic!!! I love this car but, let me prequalify, my issues should be more with the previous owner than the manufacturer. The side window gaskets leak something terrible! So much so that the driver's side floor board is soft and spongy. The person that had changed their oil had left the small oil filter gasket in the filter housing on several occasions which resulted in the rings wearing out with time and crumbling into small bits all through the system and developing in a nasty oil leak and cost over $600.00 to fix. The hoses pop off for no apparent reason but, these do not detract from this beautiful car, in my opinion.

Too Much Fun
By Diana on 12/05/04 22:21 PM (PST)

1998 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

I am having a ball in this car. I've driven it roundtrip between Key West & Rochester, NY. Extremely comfortable for 14 hour days on the road. I just picked up my Christmas tree in it last weekend (top down, of course!) I want to tour the West and see the stars at night! Can't wait to go. If you want to be treated like a celebrity, drive this car!

Ice Cream Runner Z3
By VFRAV8R on 07/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

My wife had to have it. We imediately replaced the loose seats with aftermarket and it's been a joy. Tops are easily fixed or replace and it's a looker. Inexpensive fun and 30 mpg. Exactly what we wanted. Pleasant ride. Manual tops seem to work better with these models. Give one a try.

BMW 1998 1.9 L Z3
By John R. Sullivan on 04/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

This has been an amazing vehicle. I have never had any drive train problems and in fact it runs as well today as when I bought it 6 years ago brand new. I feel the styling of this car is best of any roadster on the road! As small as this car is the ride is amazingly comfortable; the footprint is wide and the car is heavy. It handles like it is on rails!

The Ulitmate Driving Machine-Ask 007
By BM'er on 03/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

Have the 1.9 4 cyl. engine and has plenty of power and oomph. Not as fast as the 2.3 6 cyl. or the Audi TT however this car is a "touring car" first and not a sports car. Its looks and handling make it a blast to drive and quite an eye catcher. All in all a great value. Top speed I am told is around 130 mph however vehicle is electronically limited to 115 mph. So although some have complained about the 4 cyl. engine it begs the question do you really need any more for a roadster??

Built on a Friday
By Ericz3 on 02/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

My Z3 was in the shop about 20 some odd times. The problems ranged from leaking softtop, blown thermostat, busted sending unit, and so on. Fun to drive, and I love the look of the car!

Best Little Sports car on the used marke
By BeaterBMW on 09/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

Great car! bulletproof!! Only lacks usable cup holders.