1997 BMW Z3 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Z3 model:
Oldie but fricken goodie
By solarus on 03/20/11 19:23 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

The 1997 Z3 1.9L straight-4 is really a unique find, at a great price. I would not pay more than $8,000 for one with around 80,000 miles on it, which is the car I got for myself. Incredible value for a truly zippy and economical car! Lots of fun to drive, and a real head turner for those of us who are into that type of thing. Dark green with tan interior and top is the way to go. Engine without a drop of any fluid on it. Very tight gearbox for a manual transmission, will get you up to 40 miles per hour as quickly as need be. Perfect commuter car!!!

Still Turning Heads after 14 years!!!
By TJRoadster on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

Great car. Plenty of zip for a 1.9 l. It begs for acceleration into curves. Very tight build. Low slung. Handles curves with vim and vigor. Fun car to drive, especially on country roads. Never had a BMW but now, the ultimate driving machine motto takes on real meaning.

I love my Z3
By Bamz62 on 02/15/10 18:54 PM (PST)

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

I have wanted this car since I saw it in GoldenEye and the deal I got was just too good to pass up. It had only 29,000 mi on it when I bought it and everything in all the reviews that drivers had issues with had already been fixed (her father owned a BMW dealership) so it was perfect. I am 5'2" so it fits me to a T and I just drove 400 mi this weekend and was totally comfortable. Every day I drive it someone comments on what a beautiful car it is and I agree. It is not for everyone, larger drivers will not be comfortable, but they can buy any other car. It runs like a dream and is very reliable, most parts that I have had to replace were the originals. I intend to keep it forever.

Silver Bullit
By oldcarguy on 09/21/05 17:20 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

Great ride and handling with a strong grip. Engine is a bit thrashy for a four, but the car is quick when need be. Great value for the money with good reliablity. One of the greatest styles ever.

Incredible!
By Jim on 01/14/05 15:20 PM (PST)

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

This car drives really well. Great suspension, great handling. Plenty of pep but not a high performance vehicle.It is without a doubt the nicest designed car that I have ever seen.

'97 Z3
By beatless on 07/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

'97 1.9 Z3, silver and black top. I think is the best color combination for this car. The 4cyl eng from the 318 is expectedly not powerful but enough for cruising. Fairly good on fuel but my accord is better. Somewhat cheap interior but otherwise its nice. The exterior is what shines on this car, it is pretty with top up or down. The short throw 5-spd and good brakes makes it easier to drive. The suspension could be tighter, at times it wanders esp. on rough roads. Wood interior is classy but the LED clock is almost useless topdown at daytime.

Very Fun Car
By MonteroFan on 06/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

Even with the smaller 1.9 litre engine this car is an incredibly fun little car. I don't mind the manual top at all it takes 15 seconds to put it up or down at the maximum and it's really easy to do. The optional subwoofer is a must - otherwise you just can't hear music with the top down. My complaints are that the seats move around a bit and one got jammed after a small piece of plastic got caught in the rail. BMW removed the plastic, then told me that I shouldn't move the seats completely to the front, back, top, or bottom as there are known problems with them. Also, the center console cupholder and storage feels cheap. Other than that, I love this car.

BMW Z-3 1.8
By Dan D on 07/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

All in all, an inexpensive sports car drive for a BMW. Good gas mileage but very weak pick up. Good for cruising, not much more. Build qulity definitely not up to BMW standards. Many problems widely known by BMW on this model that they leave owners hung with to pay. Mine also has a manual convertable top which is a bit of a pain.

97 Z3 Value
By NJMarkR on 03/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

Overall, even with the 1.9L engine, its not a bad cruising car. Certainly great gas mileage. Being a BMW, I expected a better quality vehicle. This car has less than 15k miles, garage kept, never in rain or snow. The seats rock, the power window buttons fall in the console, gas gauge is eractic and BMW dealers want to charge excessive amounts to repair what shouldn't break within 10k to 15k miles.

The little Z3
By Brian on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

Even though my Z3 has the "little" engine it is a blast to drive. It is very reliable and has a lot of get up and go. It is fast, with the 0-60 around 7.7 seconds. Not the fastest car out there, but faster than most. The handling is amazing and it is very easy and comfortable to drive. Get a newer one with the roll hoops if you want people to think it is new. The hoops are the give away that it is a 96 or 97. There are many performance up grades for this engine like a new computer chip, high flow intake, high flow exhaust, and even turbos. But if you need this car to be faster, buy one with the bigger engine.