Used 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z3 model:

Oldie but fricken goodie
By solarus

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

The 1997 Z3 1.9L straight-4 is really a unique find, at a great price. I would not pay more than $8,000 for one with around 80,000 miles on it, which is the car I got for myself. Incredible value for a truly zippy and economical car! Lots of fun to drive, and a real head turner for those of us who are into that type of thing. Dark green with tan interior and top is the way to go. Engine without a drop of any fluid on it. Very tight gearbox for a manual transmission, will get you up to 40 miles per hour as quickly as need be. Perfect commuter car!!!

Favorite Features

The engine. It purs like a kitten and takes you fast to where you need to be with adequate skill shifting gears. My car is 14 years old and its innards under the hood look brand new still. Very neat design. Exterior is almost as timeless as that of Jaguars from the same time period. Great looking regular alloy wheels, with low profile tires on them. Incredible turnability and agile cornering. What can I say, nothing beats BMW when it comes to agile, zippy neat looking vehicles.

Suggested Improvements

No recommendations now, because the car production ended in 2002. The Z4 is what's out there now, and it's a completely different thing from Z3.

Still Turning Heads after 14 years!!!
By TJRoadster

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

Great car. Plenty of zip for a 1.9 l. It begs for acceleration into curves. Very tight build. Low slung. Handles curves with vim and vigor. Fun car to drive, especially on country roads. Never had a BMW but now, the ultimate driving machine motto takes on real meaning.

Favorite Features

Easy top down and up. Quick acceleration. Easy passing at speed. Great exterior look. People still turn their heads as this 14 year old car zips by. Hugs the road. Flattens the curves. Heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better center console.

I love my Z3
By Bamz62

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

I have wanted this car since I saw it in GoldenEye and the deal I got was just too good to pass up. It had only 29,000 mi on it when I bought it and everything in all the reviews that drivers had issues with had already been fixed (her father owned a BMW dealership) so it was perfect. I am 5'2" so it fits me to a T and I just drove 400 mi this weekend and was totally comfortable. Every day I drive it someone comments on what a beautiful car it is and I agree. It is not for everyone, larger drivers will not be comfortable, but they can buy any other car. It runs like a dream and is very reliable, most parts that I have had to replace were the originals. I intend to keep it forever.

Favorite Features

Steering and acceleration are awesome, it is just a fun car to drive, especially since I bought Michelins for it - it is by far my favorite - it is just the perfect car for me.

Suggested Improvements

As for the plastic rear window, I polished it with Mother's polish and I take care of it, so mine still looks new. I do wish the seat could go up just a little higher...but the power windows, cruise control and automatic door locks make up for it. Everyday I am more than happy that I bought it.

Silver Bullit
By oldcarguy

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

Great ride and handling with a strong grip. Engine is a bit thrashy for a four, but the car is quick when need be. Great value for the money with good reliablity. One of the greatest styles ever.

Favorite Features

One touch windows. Subwoofer stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Fix glove box shake. Revise cheap console storage. Fix loose power seat. Needs better exhaust note.

Incredible!
By Jim

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

This car drives really well. Great suspension, great handling. Plenty of pep but not a high performance vehicle.It is without a doubt the nicest designed car that I have ever seen.

Favorite Features

Exterior design. Exterior design. Heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

I had to buy a center console from the dealer. Only $50.00, no big deal. Rear window is plastic, should be glass.