1997 BMW Z3 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Z3 model:
WOW What a Car
By mgambuzza on 06/22/11 19:34 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

Truly my favorite sports car!! I have owned many including Corvettes, Trans Ams, Z28s, Mustangs, and MG Midgets, but this one takes the cake. Although I still own a 1970 Corvette (rarely driven these days), I still lust for the fun per mile that my Z3 delivered. My wife and I were looking for a sports car for my fortieth birthday back in 2005 and stumbled onto this Atlanta Blue 2.8 5 speed with tan interior. One test drive and the rest is history! The performance, economy, power, looks, and driving pleasure makes this my most fun since my old MGs (when they were running properly). I owned this car for five flawless years and drove the he'll out of it.

Oldie but fricken goodie
By solarus on 03/20/11 19:23 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

The 1997 Z3 1.9L straight-4 is really a unique find, at a great price. I would not pay more than $8,000 for one with around 80,000 miles on it, which is the car I got for myself. Incredible value for a truly zippy and economical car! Lots of fun to drive, and a real head turner for those of us who are into that type of thing. Dark green with tan interior and top is the way to go. Engine without a drop of any fluid on it. Very tight gearbox for a manual transmission, will get you up to 40 miles per hour as quickly as need be. Perfect commuter car!!!

Still Turning Heads after 14 years!!!
By TJRoadster on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

Great car. Plenty of zip for a 1.9 l. It begs for acceleration into curves. Very tight build. Low slung. Handles curves with vim and vigor. Fun car to drive, especially on country roads. Never had a BMW but now, the ultimate driving machine motto takes on real meaning.

A Classic in all Respects
By PotomacBob on 06/12/10 16:17 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

While in college in the late 1960's, I owned an Austin Healey 100-4. The Z-3 I purchased in 1997 had all the elements that I loved about the Austin Healey. The 6 cylinder in a must for the Z-3 and frankly the only color to consider if you are an aficionado is the dark green with tan interior and top. Any one who reports that there is insufficient power or that the top is too hard to put up is not a roadster devotee. Boys, step aside and let the real men tell you what constitutes a genuine sports car. Thank you BMW for bringing back a car that is in the lineage of the Austin Healey, Morgan and MG.

I love my Z3
By Bamz62 on 02/15/10 18:54 PM (PST)

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

I have wanted this car since I saw it in GoldenEye and the deal I got was just too good to pass up. It had only 29,000 mi on it when I bought it and everything in all the reviews that drivers had issues with had already been fixed (her father owned a BMW dealership) so it was perfect. I am 5'2" so it fits me to a T and I just drove 400 mi this weekend and was totally comfortable. Every day I drive it someone comments on what a beautiful car it is and I agree. It is not for everyone, larger drivers will not be comfortable, but they can buy any other car. It runs like a dream and is very reliable, most parts that I have had to replace were the originals. I intend to keep it forever.

Looking for fun & fuel savings??
By Frank Armstrong on 05/25/09 12:46 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

After gas went sky high in mid-2008, I started looking for a commuter car, but also wanted fun. After some research, I decided on a Z-3, and looked on Auto Trader and E-Bay for a good one. I was fortunate to find a 1997 with the 2.8 six cylinder, five speed and only 42,000 miles. After nearly a year, I can tell you this was a great choice. Plenty of performance and drop top fun, plus a solid 26.8 mpg. I bet the 4 cyl are even better mileage, but the 6 is awesome. These cars have some quirks, like a sloppy seat track that allows you to slip forward and back on braking, but overall the car is a great value. Unfortunately, you aren't likely to find a good one at the Edmunds price.

52 Cars Later
By Joey Martin on 01/10/09 17:37 PM (PST)

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

I am sorry I have not bought at least 5 Z3s. Of the 52 cars I have owned in my life this is my favorite. When the car first came out a friend let me drive his 1.9 around Elkhart Lake and it was a ball, albeit under powered for that track. Then I bought the regulatory Boxster then an SL 500 plus others. At last I found a pristine 1997 2.8. Wow, this car is so well balanced that it makes even an old timer like me look good in the twisties. The 2.8 engine is wonderful. Lots of torque and smooth. Yes, I know the M; to me the M has so much power for the chassis that it is, Corvette like. I will keep my 97 for a very long time even if I find a perfect 2002. Enjoy!

Beautiful, but full of bugs
By metralla on 03/13/08 13:54 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

I bought my Z3 used with 86,000 miles showing. It has many of the typical flaws of this car. Sagging glove box, sliding seats, leaky top, seriously crappy sound system, and cracks forming in the rear subframe. It will be worth the price of admission once all the gremlins are finally taken care of.

Understated
By Longshot on 09/06/07 10:46 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

The "value" of this car is understated in many ways. It is so much fun to drive, and quite comfortable for an average size person. On many occasions I have driven 800 miles in a day quite comfortably. It continues to be reliable, and as it ages, the exceptional and unique design endures. I believe the 97 2.8 will become a collector vehicle.

BMW Z3 2.8 - one of the best roadsters
By Rob P on 06/15/07 20:52 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

I bought the '97 Z3 2.8L with the M body style, wide tail and tires, the first year of this style. I think this body is a classic. The Z4 is a bit crisp for me. I have owned my car for 10 years and have had no problems other than a minor driver's seat rail play (seat slid back/forth) which I got fixed under warranty. In 2000, I compared this vs. my neighbor's Porsche 2.5L boxster he wanted to sell me and this vintage of the two cars didn't render a big difference. I felt the BMW 2.8 had more power than the Boxster and handled as well when I pushed both on a very windy back road. There is a huge difference between the 4 cyl and 6 cyl BMW. Once I drove the 2.8L, I said no to the 4 cyl.