Used 1997 BMW Z3 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z3 model:

WOW What a Car
By mgambuzza

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

Truly my favorite sports car!! I have owned many including Corvettes, Trans Ams, Z28s, Mustangs, and MG Midgets, but this one takes the cake. Although I still own a 1970 Corvette (rarely driven these days), I still lust for the fun per mile that my Z3 delivered. My wife and I were looking for a sports car for my fortieth birthday back in 2005 and stumbled onto this Atlanta Blue 2.8 5 speed with tan interior. One test drive and the rest is history! The performance, economy, power, looks, and driving pleasure makes this my most fun since my old MGs (when they were running properly). I owned this car for five flawless years and drove the he'll out of it.

Favorite Features

Great styling, fuel economy when driven sensibly, low frequency of repairs, simple non powered drop top.

Suggested Improvements

Improved stereo and air conditioning. My wife has a 2000 SLK230 and both of these items work exceptionally well- BMW could take a lesson from MB on these two options.

Oldie but fricken goodie
By solarus

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

The 1997 Z3 1.9L straight-4 is really a unique find, at a great price. I would not pay more than $8,000 for one with around 80,000 miles on it, which is the car I got for myself. Incredible value for a truly zippy and economical car! Lots of fun to drive, and a real head turner for those of us who are into that type of thing. Dark green with tan interior and top is the way to go. Engine without a drop of any fluid on it. Very tight gearbox for a manual transmission, will get you up to 40 miles per hour as quickly as need be. Perfect commuter car!!!

Favorite Features

The engine. It purs like a kitten and takes you fast to where you need to be with adequate skill shifting gears. My car is 14 years old and its innards under the hood look brand new still. Very neat design. Exterior is almost as timeless as that of Jaguars from the same time period. Great looking regular alloy wheels, with low profile tires on them. Incredible turnability and agile cornering. What can I say, nothing beats BMW when it comes to agile, zippy neat looking vehicles.

Suggested Improvements

No recommendations now, because the car production ended in 2002. The Z4 is what's out there now, and it's a completely different thing from Z3.

Still Turning Heads after 14 years!!!
By TJRoadster

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

Great car. Plenty of zip for a 1.9 l. It begs for acceleration into curves. Very tight build. Low slung. Handles curves with vim and vigor. Fun car to drive, especially on country roads. Never had a BMW but now, the ultimate driving machine motto takes on real meaning.

Favorite Features

Easy top down and up. Quick acceleration. Easy passing at speed. Great exterior look. People still turn their heads as this 14 year old car zips by. Hugs the road. Flattens the curves. Heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better center console.

A Classic in all Respects
By PotomacBob

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 2.8 2dr Convertible

While in college in the late 1960's, I owned an Austin Healey 100-4. The Z-3 I purchased in 1997 had all the elements that I loved about the Austin Healey. The 6 cylinder in a must for the Z-3 and frankly the only color to consider if you are an aficionado is the dark green with tan interior and top. Any one who reports that there is insufficient power or that the top is too hard to put up is not a roadster devotee. Boys, step aside and let the real men tell you what constitutes a genuine sports car. Thank you BMW for bringing back a car that is in the lineage of the Austin Healey, Morgan and MG.

Favorite Features

The well-designed cockpit; the tight shift; and the classic design.

Suggested Improvements

Too late now, but the car never should have been sold in anything but manual transmission. If you can't drive a "stick shift" then buy a Honda Accord and wear your cap with the initial "B" for boring.

I love my Z3
By Bamz62

1997 BMW Z3 Convertible 1.9 2dr Convertible

I have wanted this car since I saw it in GoldenEye and the deal I got was just too good to pass up. It had only 29,000 mi on it when I bought it and everything in all the reviews that drivers had issues with had already been fixed (her father owned a BMW dealership) so it was perfect. I am 5'2" so it fits me to a T and I just drove 400 mi this weekend and was totally comfortable. Every day I drive it someone comments on what a beautiful car it is and I agree. It is not for everyone, larger drivers will not be comfortable, but they can buy any other car. It runs like a dream and is very reliable, most parts that I have had to replace were the originals. I intend to keep it forever.

Favorite Features

Steering and acceleration are awesome, it is just a fun car to drive, especially since I bought Michelins for it - it is by far my favorite - it is just the perfect car for me.

Suggested Improvements

As for the plastic rear window, I polished it with Mother's polish and I take care of it, so mine still looks new. I do wish the seat could go up just a little higher...but the power windows, cruise control and automatic door locks make up for it. Everyday I am more than happy that I bought it.