Used 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z3 model:

older car new bmw fan
By Paul

1997 BMW Z3 2.8 2dr Convertible

Purchased this 1997 bmw z3 with 147400 miles on the clock and fixed lamps out and several small problems , just a little tlc along with struts and rear shocks, carrier bearing on the driveshaft had to be replaced to take care of vibration, tire balance is very important on this car . wal mart balance lifetime for 9.,00 per tire is a deal. long story made short after service we drove the car 2000 miles trouble free on the blueridge parkway most of the time in fifth gear, this 2.8 with the 5 speed gear box is simply the most fun we have had in a car in years and is still a head turner, the car now has 150000 miles on the clock and oil level is still full. this thing is a keeper.

WOW What a Car
By mgambuzza

1997 BMW Z3 2.8 2dr Convertible

Truly my favorite sports car!! I have owned many including Corvettes, Trans Ams, Z28s, Mustangs, and MG Midgets, but this one takes the cake. Although I still own a 1970 Corvette (rarely driven these days), I still lust for the fun per mile that my Z3 delivered. My wife and I were looking for a sports car for my fortieth birthday back in 2005 and stumbled onto this Atlanta Blue 2.8 5 speed with tan interior. One test drive and the rest is history! The performance, economy, power, looks, and driving pleasure makes this my most fun since my old MGs (when they were running properly). I owned this car for five flawless years and drove the he'll out of it.

Great styling, fuel economy when driven sensibly, low frequency of repairs, simple non powered drop top.

Improved stereo and air conditioning. My wife has a 2000 SLK230 and both of these items work exceptionally well- BMW could take a lesson from MB on these two options.

A Classic in all Respects
By PotomacBob

1997 BMW Z3 2.8 2dr Convertible

While in college in the late 1960's, I owned an Austin Healey 100-4. The Z-3 I purchased in 1997 had all the elements that I loved about the Austin Healey. The 6 cylinder in a must for the Z-3 and frankly the only color to consider if you are an aficionado is the dark green with tan interior and top. Any one who reports that there is insufficient power or that the top is too hard to put up is not a roadster devotee. Boys, step aside and let the real men tell you what constitutes a genuine sports car. Thank you BMW for bringing back a car that is in the lineage of the Austin Healey, Morgan and MG.

The well-designed cockpit; the tight shift; and the classic design.

Too late now, but the car never should have been sold in anything but manual transmission. If you can't drive a "stick shift" then buy a Honda Accord and wear your cap with the initial "B" for boring.

Looking for fun & fuel savings??
By Frank Armstrong

1997 BMW Z3 2.8 2dr Convertible

After gas went sky high in mid-2008, I started looking for a commuter car, but also wanted fun. After some research, I decided on a Z-3, and looked on Auto Trader and E-Bay for a good one. I was fortunate to find a 1997 with the 2.8 six cylinder, five speed and only 42,000 miles. After nearly a year, I can tell you this was a great choice. Plenty of performance and drop top fun, plus a solid 26.8 mpg. I bet the 4 cyl are even better mileage, but the 6 is awesome. These cars have some quirks, like a sloppy seat track that allows you to slip forward and back on braking, but overall the car is a great value. Unfortunately, you aren't likely to find a good one at the Edmunds price.

6 cylinder performance. Easy top operation. Styling is superb. Larger interior than competitors. Simple dash layout.

Tighter seat tracks. Radio and speaker upgrade is almost a must. Better convertible top rear window design, glass would have been perfect, but it is too late for that.

52 Cars Later
By Joey Martin

1997 BMW Z3 2.8 2dr Convertible

I am sorry I have not bought at least 5 Z3s. Of the 52 cars I have owned in my life this is my favorite. When the car first came out a friend let me drive his 1.9 around Elkhart Lake and it was a ball, albeit under powered for that track. Then I bought the regulatory Boxster then an SL 500 plus others. At last I found a pristine 1997 2.8. Wow, this car is so well balanced that it makes even an old timer like me look good in the twisties. The 2.8 engine is wonderful. Lots of torque and smooth. Yes, I know the M; to me the M has so much power for the chassis that it is, Corvette like. I will keep my 97 for a very long time even if I find a perfect 2002. Enjoy!

Handling, 2.8 engine.