1996 BMW Z3 - Consumer Reviews

1.9 1.9L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (20 reviews )
This is what a roadster should be.
By KennethH on 09/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

Pure top down, wind in your face, diving pleasure. There are other convertibles that offer more in the way of raw performance, but none that just work so perfectly together -- it's much more than the sum of its parts. And you can drive the daylights out of the 1.9 liter motor without losing your license.

Good to buy used
By TWJ on 07/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

The prestige and handling sell it. Paid 31k in 1996. Ironically, if you can afford a new BMW then you cannot afford to waste time bickering with the BMW [no] service center. Z-3 not comfy. for >6 hr.s I'd projected a loss of $2k per year based on previous BMW's but perhaps because of teh volume of production the loss has been around $3k per year for the Z- 3 and greater for the 328. Otherwise, very happy with the BMW cars. Happy driving, Tim

Lotza Fun
By jsm on 06/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

Great performance even with 1.9L. Sticks to the road - it takes a LOT of effort to make it slide in a turn. Fun factor = 10.

The best car in it's class!
By BMW Love on 06/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

Many people call the 1996 BMW Z3 underpowered because of its 4 cyld engine, but my friends, they are wrong on every count. The body and engine work as a team, providing on of the fastest cars in its class (4 cyld). NOt only is it the perfect body of a sports car .... it's a powerhouse! I fell in love the day I saw the BMW Z3 the first time on the road, I was 12 years old at the time, but I knew that day that the Z3 was the only car for me. Six years later, I own my dream car ... and it's everything I immagined it would be, and more. Don't let engine freaks talk you out of buying the 1996 model, just because it says 4 cyl doesn't mean it can't feel like a V12!

Z3--best value in pre-owned roadsters
By dannyboy on 06/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

I am the 3rd owner of a well-cared-for 1996 meridian blue (James Bond's car from Golden Eyes) Z3. With 49,000 miles on it the only thing needed has been routine maintenance. I avg. 30/mpg using premium fuel. While the 4 clyder engine could use more power, it does well with the 5-speed manual transmission. Definitely just a 2- seater with room for one suitcase or two travel bags. Drives and corners superbly. Will replace it in a few yrs. with another Z3 but with the 2.5L motor. BMW dealer service is expensive with an oil change costing $72.

Found a '96 with 18K miles
By DL on 05/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

Had few problems with this car. Both the roof and trunk leak. Difficult to shift into first. Engine revs beautifully. People treat you like you are driving a very expensive and exotic car.

Careful - 1st Model Year!
By No longer a BMW fan on 05/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

This was my dream car - or so I thought. Styling's beautiful, but BMW missed the boat on designing this car for longevity. The car has literally been falling apart since it was about a year old...roof leaks, pieces falling off the dash, the door handles pulling out of the door, seat belt locking, air bag light staying on for first 5 minutes after starting the car. And, of course, once the warranty was up, the worst starting happening...and it costs a fortune to fix!

My Z3 is fun...but it can be improved
By Z3Luvr on 05/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

Bought my Z3 used with 40k miles and mint overall condition. It is very fun car to drive and the top should always be kept down. Most people that say this car is too slow never drive it properly. The M44 engine must be driven with the revs up above 3500rpm, which can be labeled as annoying for some and fun for others.

Z3 - Fun to Drive
By bobricher on 04/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

The 1.9 engine might be underpowered, but the car has plenty of pick up. The drive is very comfortable and smooth. This car is top down driving at it's finest. I've been getting about 31.5 MPG. It's very reliable and a pleasure to own.

COOL CAR
By flako87 on 04/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

Well the BMW Z3 is the best car I have ever seen, this is the car i would only drive. If you are going to buy a car buy the BMW Z3.