Used 1996 BMW Z3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Bmw Z3 - Consumer Reviews

1996 BMW Z3

1.9 1.9L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (21 reviews )

Gotta Love this Car
By festivator

1996 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

I love the review that has a long list of problems with this car and then gives it four stars-you have own one these to understand. I find mine to be just like one of my grown kids - you love them dearly and they keep asking for money. When I brought my "new" car to my mechanic of 20 plus years he just smiled and said, "it's gonna cost ya!" It has been a very long time since I drove a car just for the fun of it. It's my second roadster - the first was a new 69 MGB - and this one is even more fun.

Cruisin with my Z
By joelmatt68

1996 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

I love my Z a Jet black on black. I bought this with 100k miles on it, this is one great car. Great looking car and still runs excellent!!! I have no problems with the top because this year it was manual. BMW is the ultimate driving machine. Just cruisin with it... California way

Favorite Features

The body design is great

Great Value
By Steve D

1996 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

After having a Porsche Boxter (loved it), I tried a Mazda Miata and was disappointed. When the opportunity to purchase the Z3 came along I grabbed it. It has been a wonderful car and predictably reliable. The rear alignment has been problematic but besides that a great car.

Favorite Features

Great body design. Great handling. Four cylinder perky enough with great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Rear alignment adjustment.

Amazing 2 Seat Convertible
By Z3 Man

1996 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

I've had my Z for about a month now and have had nothing but pure joy. Styling is amazing. So sleek and smooth. No doubt it has aged perfectly and will continue to age much better than the the Z4. People will ask what year it it is and I tell them to guess. Their average guess is 2002 lol. Lots of people complain about performance, but luckily mine came with a supercharger made specifically for the 96' Z3 and boosted the power to 225hp. Yup that's right horsepower more than the 6 cylinder. Handling is perfect, you can go around a curve at 50 miles an hour when it suggests 35 with ease and comfort. All in all a great car that will age perfectly and last forever.

Favorite Features

Style, performance, handling, and being able to drop the top down at the red light.

Suggested Improvements

One thing that I really wish the Z had was a 6th gear. Sounds like I'm dogging it on the highway, and a easier way to reset the oil change lamp. Other than that she's a dream car

Fun, fun, fun
By Doug G.

1996 BMW Z3 1.9 2dr Convertible

The four cylinder Z3's may not have the oomph of the later six cylinder models, but it is fast enough to get one a speeding ticket! On the other hand, I believe the handling is lighter and better balanced without the extra weight of the six cylinder in the front. The four cylinder wants premium gas, but gas mileage is great! And, yes, people do stop and ask about the car or look as we drive by. The BMW dealers are expensive for service and/or repairs. But dropping the top on a sunny day and cruising the back roads makes it worth while!

Favorite Features

Light handling, great fuel economy, just a lot of fun!

Suggested Improvements

Lousy stock audio system.