2011 BMW X6 Consumer Review: A Big Mistake

2011 BMW X6 SUV - Consumer Review

A Big Mistake
By Bob on

2011 BMW X6 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

My salesman took me for my test ride on a freshly paved highway and secondary road. I was pleased. I didn't realize this cars Achilles heel until driving off the lot (after the sale) onto a less than perfect road. Minor road imperfections hurl the passenger about the cabin like a rag doll, eventually making one seek out the smoothest routes to avoid this very, very unpleasant ride. It appears BMW engineers could only accomplish the X6's marginal increase in performance by completely sacrificing all other driving aspects expected in a luxury vehicle ride, SUV or otherwise. Unless you only drive on freshly paved, perfectly smooth road surfaces, you will likely regret buying this vehicle.

Head turning good looks, acceleration, headlights, brake performance and maintenance warranty.

Modify the suspension to correct the horribly harsh and unruly ride, provide option to run-flat only tires, reexamine the X6's many illogical controls (e.g., two step ignition and complicated cruise control), reduce excessive brake dust and improve the vehicles initial build quality.
By shutdownthelot
on 02/19/11 08:57 AM (PST)

I am sorry you feel that you made a mistake. Remember, this is a BMW, one of the safest cars on the road! Maybe you should drive a generic SUV to understand just what I am talking about.

By carbonproject
on 04/11/11 09:26 AM (PDT)

Well... I think you kinda miss the point that BMW X6 is called SAC Sports Activity Coupe... Yes, it's a coupe... Stiff ride... Yet this vehicle offers so much better ride than any other SUV considering the performance. I think more suitable SUV for you is Mercedez Benz GLK or GL series...