Used 2008 BMW X6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
More fun, better looking than the X5
By DCAreaBMWowner

2008 BMW X6 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Very happy with the X6 after almost 2 months. I love the handling with the sport package; much improved over my 2007 X5 4.4i. No reliability problems yet. Definitely a head turner and I enjoy the convenience of an SUV without the boxy SUV reputation. The turbo six performs as well as the V-8 in the 4.8i X5, but gets significantly better gas mileage. I didn't want to wait a few months for availability of the turbo V-8, but at current gas prices, the turbo six is an adequate choice. You just have to push it a little harder.

Favorite Features

Styling, quiet and comfortable interior, handles more like a sport sedan than the X5, which is already pretty good. Comfort seats are worth the cost. Ventilated, active seats are not worth the money.

Suggested Improvements

Back up camera is a waste of money (it should be de-coupled from the technology package). The sloping rear roof looks good from the outside, but creates a small, dark rear window.

SUV on steriods!
By PaulCKim74

2008 BMW X6 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

BMW's first SUV that drives like a sports car. Despite the sacrifice of the utility aspect, the SAV is a heavy, well build automobile with sufficient twin turbo engine, and impressive handling, performance and spacious comfort for four. There are numerous high-tech gadgets and functions in the car to entertain you and make you feel real good. The drawbacks: no utility/no space, gas-guzzler even for the V6, pricey when equipped fully, the navigation dvd processor is too noisy, and finally the design attracts too much attention. If you can afford one go for it. I'm enjoying mine.

Favorite Features

High technology. Handling. Styling. Comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Noisy navigation. Spaced like a sedan. Too much gas. Where the hell are the 20 inch all weather tires for these bad boys?!

Flashy headache
By MrObjective

2008 BMW X6 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Sure, it gets attention, but I wish more attention had been given to practical design. It's nearly impossible to see out of the rear window making reverse a dangerous exercise. The rear view camera display states to "never rely solely on camera" when that's exactly what the driver must do. Side vision is also hampered by the steep drop off of the front fenders--the driver can't tell see the outboard edge of the car. The liftgate has two opening heights, but getting past the low one is fiddly at best, making loading anything back there a long reach into a shallow slit opening. Super- expensive tires. People will look at you, alright, but I'd rather the car be more user friendly.

Favorite Features

Good seats. Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Frankly, get over the Hot Wheels styling. save money and buy the much more usable X5.

A fun vehicle to drive
By hog4oc

2008 BMW X6 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I just trade in the 2006 530Xi wagon, love this vehicle, fun to drive, have the SUV high command feeling, but with good road performance. Now I hate my 07 Escalade.

Favorite Features

Style, driving position, feels powerful, not so bad gas miles, lots of good gadges inside.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger sunroof, chrome rims.

5.0 vs 3.5 no comparison
By Chad

2008 BMW X6 xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6A)

We test drove the 3.5 and loved the styling. The car handled and had acceptable acceleration but felt heavy. When looking at the weight, I knew that having the 5.0 engine would make all the difference in the world. Well when I went down to test drive itÖ words canít describe it. Many people say ďI donít get itĒÖ I can tell you, get behind the wheel and you ďWill Get It!Ē. I know itís not for everyone and honestly, that was a whole level beyond why I wanted it. In the three months Iíve had it, Iíve only seen 3 on the road. I canít count the FX, MLís, RXís, and Cayenneís. There is a sense of exclusivity that comes with owning one. If you donít like attention, donít by an X6.

Favorite Features

400 horse power and active steering, oh my!

Suggested Improvements

upper handle to aid in vehicle entry, curtain airbags make this difficult.