2008 BMW X6 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X6 model:
5.0 vs 3.5 no comparison
By Chad on 09/28/09 17:07 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW X6 SUV xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6A)

We test drove the 3.5 and loved the styling. The car handled and had acceptable acceleration but felt heavy. When looking at the weight, I knew that having the 5.0 engine would make all the difference in the world. Well when I went down to test drive it… words can’t describe it. Many people say “I don’t get it”… I can tell you, get behind the wheel and you “Will Get It!”. I know it’s not for everyone and honestly, that was a whole level beyond why I wanted it. In the three months I’ve had it, I’ve only seen 3 on the road. I can’t count the FX, ML’s, RX’s, and Cayenne’s. There is a sense of exclusivity that comes with owning one. If you don’t like attention, don’t by an X6.

Awesome for Foursome
By 50nesto on 05/18/09 13:06 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW X6 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Got every available option on my X6, and I am loving it! Don't confuse this car with an SUV; it is a Sports Activity Coupe with room for any foursome (golf, tennis, skiing, or dating)and all the accompanying equipment (clubs, rackets, skis, and luggage). My grandson can even watch movies in the back seat! Just got mine back from BMW Collision after rear ending a Cadillac sedan. Awesome collision safety behavior from the car with only frontal damage while the Cadillac regretfully was demolished. The repair by BMW looks amazing!

BMW X6 X-cellent
By Greg on 12/30/08 07:54 AM (PST)

2008 BMW X6 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Having owned the Range Rover Supersport supercharged and Audi q7, I can say that this car exceeds all of these on every front for driving pleasure and fun without giving ground, except for serious off roading. The twin turbo is very responsive and returns good mileage. Handling is incredible for a car of this type. Space is very good at 6'4" no problem in finding a very comfortable seating position, even the back seats are good for a 6' person. Overall very solid just what you expect.

BMW X6 a Hit !
By Mr. Bigg on 10/28/08 12:04 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW X6 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

A great look and glad we bought instead of Infiniti FX35, which is likely a good car. Outside lines turn heads, interior is comfortable. Can go to the snow. Hwy mileage is 22+, around town is low 15. Very fast for 6 cyl. Very solid. We own 06 Denali, so don't expect it to tow, haul huge loads, etc. We are new empty nesters and this car fits our needs very well and better for us than X 5. Rear view has not been a problem for us. took couple in back seats and they said they were comfortable. Great car!

Flashy headache
By MrObjective on 09/24/08 07:00 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW X6 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Sure, it gets attention, but I wish more attention had been given to practical design. It's nearly impossible to see out of the rear window making reverse a dangerous exercise. The rear view camera display states to "never rely solely on camera" when that's exactly what the driver must do. Side vision is also hampered by the steep drop off of the front fenders--the driver can't tell see the outboard edge of the car. The liftgate has two opening heights, but getting past the low one is fiddly at best, making loading anything back there a long reach into a shallow slit opening. Super- expensive tires. People will look at you, alright, but I'd rather the car be more user friendly.

A Definite Head Turner
By George Bustilloz on 08/20/08 08:52 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW X6 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

This is my 3rd BMW, but my first new BMW and will not be my last. I have never been in a vehicle that has turned more heads and make even other luxury car owners smile and give me the "Big Thumbs Up!" The Interior is nice and roomy, the controls are logically laid out, and the car is just a dream to drive.

Love the Ride
By GOOGL on 08/05/08 13:33 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW X6 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Gotta say, I was thinking of an AWD vehicle after living in Illinois and having a 550i that was fun to drive in the summer, but in Chicago winters a bear to control. I was in the market for AWD w/o the boxy look. I walked into the showroom and they were unloading it from the semi-trailer. I fell in love with the shape and the wide stance. I can also say it chews up the curves and has been a definite attention getter. To becoming almost an annoyance. I feel like a rock star when I'm behind the wheel. The ride height is perfect and the handling is superb. Needs a little more pep in the 6 cylinder.

SUV on steriods!
By PaulCKim74 on 07/15/08 21:26 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW X6 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

BMW's first SUV that drives like a sports car. Despite the sacrifice of the utility aspect, the SAV is a heavy, well build automobile with sufficient twin turbo engine, and impressive handling, performance and spacious comfort for four. There are numerous high-tech gadgets and functions in the car to entertain you and make you feel real good. The drawbacks: no utility/no space, gas-guzzler even for the V6, pricey when equipped fully, the navigation dvd processor is too noisy, and finally the design attracts too much attention. If you can afford one go for it. I'm enjoying mine.

Update: Just what I wanted
By Marc(VT) on 06/05/08 14:57 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW X6 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I was in error when I submitted my original review. The X6 does have the TPM standard, I just was not used to the IDrive and the TPM function is "greyed out" (not accessible) when the car is off. I was playing with all the settings without the car running so that's why it did not show up. I did have a computer glitch, warning me that the AWD and DSC, DBS and startoff assist had malfunctioned. Problem was a $20 brake relay swith that was sending a wrong signal. Dealership fixed it and everthing has been fine since. Still love the car and a definite head turner!

Just what I wanted!
By Marc (VT) on 05/26/08 06:10 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW X6 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had 3 X5s and used to drive sports cars prior to that. As much as I loved the X5, I still missed the "coupe" look and feel. And then the X6 came along. Exactly what I wanted. I still cannot wipe that smile off my face every time I look at it or get behind the wheel. What a car, the engine is fantastic, the handling superb and I just can't rave enough about the outside look. I have not been this excited about a car since my 1993 Acura Legend coupe with 6 speed manual transmission. I ordered mine to have exactly what I wanted and the 3 weeks it took before I got the car seemed like and eternity!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.