Used 2013 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 BMW X5 SUV

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

BMW Assist - Waste of money
By milkcan

2013 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

The engine of the X5 with ~4000 miles died while on the highway. When I pulled over the car smelled like a burning electrical fire. I called BMW/Assist - Wow the worst service over. It took numerous call, two tow trucks, and 4.5 hours to get home. You will get A+ service from GM/OnStar or Ford MySync, or AAA. BMW roadside was a joke. They screwed up just about every aspect of my SOS call. Stay away from BMW Assist. You will not be happy at all. Free for 4 years means nothing if they can't help.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, when it actually works.

Suggested Improvements

Build a car that doesn't die while driving on the left lane, on a three lane highway. If you can't build a reliable car, then have a roadside service department that can actually service you in a real emergency. When looked at the email to complain, the email address ended in 'allstate.com'!!! Really? What does an insurance company know about roadside assistance. It's not in their DNA. Also, when you push the SOS button in the car the people on the other end should know who you are. I had to spell my name, phone #, and the last four digits of my VIN. Really? Who the hell knows that in an emergency. Grade F.

My first BMW
By sal42

2013 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Sport Activity 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This is a great vehicle, as well as my first BMW. If you learn how to drive the X5 properly you can achieve the MPG figures, and even exceed them, the vehicle has done surprisingly well on gas mileage. The car has been totally reliable and it's performance has been very impressive, it really does handle like a BMW sports sedan, not a big SUV. It is comfortable and feels very solid and secure, even at very high freeway speeds, and it's practicality and space are very much appreciated on a daily basis. I have the M performance and sport packages and they really do make the vehicle look and feel amazing! I would recommend the X5 to anyone looking for a great luxury SUV.

Favorite Features

Looks, comfort, performance, fuel economy, practicality.

Suggested Improvements

After 4 months of ownership I would say not much, the car is very well thought out and designed.

Think twice before buying a 2013 X5
36 of 86,803 people found this review helpful
By ll45

2013 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This is my 3rd BMW and it is the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I am an active mail and find it physically exhausting to drive because of the tight steering wheel. If your normal driving pattern includes a lot of stop and go's; you will find the transmission hesitates. The road noise is louder than my Toyota pickup truck, not to mention the ride is stiffer than my pickup truck. Here is my advice, if you are seriously interested in this vehicle don't make the same mistake I did by taking it for an around the block test drive. Ask the dealer to loan the X5 to you for the weekend and drive it where you live! I own 4 vehicles & this is the last one out of the garage!

Favorite Features

I like the lines of the vehicle and for a six it has quite of bit of pick up.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the tight steering wheel esp. when you are braking. For $61,000 MSRP vehicle my PU & Subaru are quieter. How could you release that transmission into the market - what where you thinking with the hesitation? I had the vehicle a week and replaced the rear hatch shocks because they would not open properly and today I noticed a light out on it (3 weeks old). The rear doors were not properly aligned. The dealer fixed that before we left but I noticed all the X5s on the lot the rear doors are improperly aligned - whats up? Where is the BMW quality. I am very disappointed as a loyal BMW owner.