2012 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
Expensive, but Very Nice
By tmbmw on 01/12/12 18:17 PM (PST)

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Picked mine up at the BMW performance center in S.C. Excellent experience and highly recommended to anyone purchasing a BMW SUV. I got to push the car a little and it truly let me know how safe this car is on the road. Sold my 2011 Audi Q5 2.0T and it was well worth the move.

Don't want to drive anything else.
By mhmt on 11/22/11 23:14 PM (PST)

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I have been driving BMWs since 10 years. The diesel X5 is so far, and by far the best BMW, I have driven. Car moves like a sedan with the power of diesel engine. It's the best option to buy in the USA Market.

Great vehicle!
By drsevrin on 11/08/11 09:31 AM (PST)

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have had my X5 for 4 months now and it is a dream to drive. I get approximately 18.3 mpg in mostly city driving. It handles the snow very well. The x-drive is amazing. Great handling, great acceleration but there is a slight turbo lag which does not bother me. The iPhone hookup is great. Music sounds great on the premium sound system. Seats are very comfortable and supportive with the comfort seat option. The vehicle is very "smart" and has lots of electronic customizations available through the iDrive. The iDrive is abit overwhelming at first but after a week or so one can figure it out with ease. Ventilation is great in front and back. Exterior fit and finish is impeccable.

New X5
By stevemn1 on 09/29/11 21:22 PM (PDT)

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Just purchased my first BMW. Previously drove Infiniti M35X. Also considered new Mercedes M Series, Porsche Cayenne, and Mercedes E Class, but liked X5 too much to wait for the new Mercedes M. IDrive system has been relatively easy to learn. Owned car for several weeks now. Great freeway vehicle. Good overall comprise between sporty ride close to a typical german sedan and interior room of SUV -- all in a medium size overall package that is reasonable to park/maneuver in an urban environment. Very satisfied so far.

good car
By tommyycar on 09/27/11 11:46 AM (PDT)

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

As with all BMW's, the quality of the car is good. I think (especially compared to the Lexus LS I traded for this) that the Idrive is very easy to use. The only thing I don't "get" at all is the electronic transmission shifter. Instead of clicking into gear, it's basically a switch. You have to squeeze the buttom on top and one on the side to put it in park rather than just shifing to park. Sometimes I don't push the buttons right and it doesn't go into park and I lurch forward.

LOVIN' MY 2012 BIMMER
By just_us3 on 07/18/11 06:32 AM (PDT)

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

We have had 12 brand new cars in ten years-if I had bought my X-5 ten years ago I wouldn't have owned so many different models. I Just upgraded from a 2010 BMW X-3 due to having a second child and needing the extra space. We are currently stationed in Germany and so we got our X-5 tax free(yes we pay tax to license it in some states; still doesn't come close to $63,000 USA price-and they're built in the USA. The benefits of the technology and drive far outweigh any cons people would put on this vehicle. If you have a problem with the I-drive, then you need to take computer classes. The computer is easier to operate than any GPS that I've ever owned. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!!!

Excellent & fun to drive
By ravix5 on 06/15/11 12:03 PM (PDT)

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Had this 2012 X5 for over 3 weeks and put 1200 mi already. Used to drive 525i now got this X5 for the 3rd row. Though it's a truck the drive is more like a sedan. Never felt the higher CG during turns. This a BMW in all aspects and make you feel at home if you had driven any BMW before. luxury, performance & looks of course. The only issue I faced is the lag (1 to 2 secs)between you hit the pedal and picking up speed. There's no lag from a stop and go but when you are at 50 and want to jump to left lane or pass someone you will feel it. Once it picks up then it can go to 80 and 90 without sweat and very stable at such higher speeds. Not so much of an issue for a calculated-fun driver.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 BMW X5 in VA is:

$174 per month*