Used 2012 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Most Helpful|
Confidence in the Passing Lane
By ponch

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

On the highway, in the passing lane….this is where the BMW X5 sets itself apart. It holds the lane so well and it WANTSto go fast. It is so comfortable on a long trip home from the ski slopes, you look at other vehicles that you pass from the far left lane and think to yourself…"Gosh, I'm sorry you're not driving this" Its not about the emblem, its about the strength and soul under the hood. This all sounds a bit melodramatic, but see for yourself…compare an X5 to a Lexus GX…it is no contest.

Favorite Features

Strong acceleration reminds me of a 747 taking off. Holds lane tight. Really like the iDrive control knob and iPod interface. Easy and more safe to use than a touch screen.

Suggested Improvements

Steering at low speeds could be a little easier.

Love it, but....
By dave445

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

This is a great SUV in every aspect except one, in Illinois it's impossible to find diesel that meets the requirement of not exceeding 5% bio content. Illinois doesn't tax diesel if it has more than 11% bio content. So no fuel stations carry fuel with a lower content. All pumps that I've seen state 5-20% bio content. Same issue with every Audi, VW and Mercedes.

Glad I Chose a 2012 BMW X5 Diesel
By carbear3

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I bought this car about 2 years ago. Interested in better gas mileage but something that also offered me luxury and power, I decided to buy the 2012 X5 diesel. I'm glad I did. My car is sleek, plush, extremely well-built and runs perfectly. What I like about the diesel, too, is that it keeps getting better gas mileage as I break it in. I feel safe in my BMW and pampered. Thanks to my BMW's excellent steering and speed, I was saved from (and avoided) what could have been a life-altering accident. I've never been so impressed with a vehicle--so was my friend, who was also saved. This was an excellent choice for me, and going to the facility in South Carolina was icing on the cake.

Favorite Features

The ride is smooth, plush and fun. It's comfortable. I love the sun roof, navigation system, and back-up camera. She turns on a dime and has speed. The design is carved exquisite. She always sparkles and is a joy to ride in. I wasn't sure how I'd like having a diesel, but I love it. I can't say enough good things about this car.

Suggested Improvements

I've had my car for almost 2 years, and I can't think of anything she's missing. I suppose I'd always like better gas mileage. More room for modern gadgets for front seat access, like cell phones, would be great. My 3rd-row is pretty skimpy.

Great car ,reliable ,fun to drive
By okahati

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Since 2012 I own my BMW x5 . I got it new ,Other then free regular service I had never had any problem with the car, it's fun to drive , the navigation system needs improvment ,

Favorite Features

Great exceleration,comfortable seats ,reliable ,

Suggested Improvements

The navigation system is not comfortable to use , I'm using the Waze instead, Most likely the service department at BMW OF BAYSIDE NY will not have a loaner car to give you when you are coming for service

Expensive, but Very Nice
By tmbmw

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Picked mine up at the BMW performance center in S.C. Excellent experience and highly recommended to anyone purchasing a BMW SUV. I got to push the car a little and it truly let me know how safe this car is on the road. Sold my 2011 Audi Q5 2.0T and it was well worth the move.

Favorite Features

The engine is very smooth and you don't notice the fact that it only has a 6-speed tranny compared to the 8-speed on the gasoline engines. I got 29mpg on my way back from the factory. The engine is very quiet and has plenty of power. Another benefit of the diesel is the engine heat works off of the electronics to warm the engine faster (due to diesel), which means you get heat faster in the car. Add a heated steering wheel and the heated seats and the cold mornings are a non-event. The multi-contour seats are very comfortable and the sports package adds a nice touch to the interior.

Suggested Improvements

For this kind of money, it would be nice to have a remote starter. Also, the car has several blind spots so I catch myself looking twice when changing lanes. While the car has plenty of torque, it would be nice to see the 40d come to the states.