Used 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium SUV Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

2012 BMW X5 SUV

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Love It AND Hate It
By TQuinn

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned this vehicle for 14 month. It has been on a flatbed truck FOUR times!!!!

Thermostat failure caused car to shut down while I was driving on the parkway - stuck for 3 hours.
Brakes seized and calipers would not free the front wheels - stuck for 2 hours.
Coolant reservior EXPLODED - coolant everywhere - stuck for 3 hours.
Oil Tank EXPLODED - oil EVERYWHERE - stuck for 3 hours.

The only saving grace is that my local dealership has excellent service and has provided me with a loaner vehicle every time mine was in the shop (it has gotten to the point that I feel it needs repairs whenever it is dirty so I at least get a free wash out of it....). The X5 is pretty. It handles very well. It has great pick-up and braking capacity.......but it has ZERO reliability.

NEVER AGAIN!

Not for Family
By Reza Ghandi

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

High tech high performance and safe and overal uncomfortable, sporty and rough drive and very hard steering !

Great car ,reliable ,fun to drive
By okahati

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Since 2012 I own my BMW x5 . I got it new ,Other then free regular service I had never had any problem with the car, it's fun to drive , the navigation system needs improvment ,

Great exceleration,comfortable seats ,reliable ,

The navigation system is not comfortable to use , I'm using the Waze instead, Most likely the service department at BMW OF BAYSIDE NY will not have a loaner car to give you when you are coming for service

Fuel Pump issue and putting on a hitch aftermarket
By jamielovesbob

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I love the way this car drives but after 10,000 miles it broke down on the side of the road.
It was a fuel pump issue which I've heard has been a consistent issue with the X5. My friend said they are replacing it with the same fuel pumps so she ended up having it happen again and got rid of her car.
I also opted to put a hitch on aftermarket but beware it may cause serious problems with your lease return since they have to actually break off a piece of the bumber to put it on so you would get dinged when turning in the lease. I opted to use the tow clips with a BMW bike rack which carries 2 bikes (can opt for a 3rd tray but it would be tight) and it's a fantastic bike rack.

Extra large sunroof makes it open and airy. Loved the fact that my Blackberry was compatible with the office system and my emails come up but Iphone is not. Boo hoo. They can't keep up with which phones are really compatible and BMW is behind the curve so beware of this fact. They told me BMW's love Iphones but my Blackberry had better compatability.

If you notice that you are getting horrible gas mileage from the start and your fuel indicator won't go all the way to the right when completely full it will probably be the fuel pump. I noticed this changed when they replaced it and I figure BMW owes me about $1,000 in gas!

Very Nice
By ee64

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Just bought my x5 2/3/12 and simply love it. Drove the SRX, and Q7 and when I drove the X5 it sold me right on the spot. Great handling, though a bit tight in the steering but the rest of the pros were great.

Ken