2012 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
Great car ,reliable ,fun to drive
By okahati on 09/18/14 03:44 AM (PDT)

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Since 2012 I own my BMW x5 . I got it new ,Other then free regular service I had never had any problem with the car, it's fun to drive , the navigation system needs improvment ,

Confidence in the Passing Lane
By ponch on 03/23/14 19:00 PM (PDT)

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Sport Activity 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

On the highway, in the passing lane….this is where the BMW X5 sets itself apart. It holds the lane so well and it WANTSto go fast. It is so comfortable on a long trip home from the ski slopes, you look at other vehicles that you pass from the far left lane and think to yourself…"Gosh, I'm sorry you're not driving this" Its not about the emblem, its about the strength and soul under the hood. This all sounds a bit melodramatic, but see for yourself…compare an X5 to a Lexus GX…it is no contest.

1.5 Year BMW X5 experience
By sanjupahari on 04/23/13 15:14 PM (PDT)

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Sport Activity 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Let me provide you with the list of problems i faced one after the other. 1. Dashboard failed within 3 months. 2.State inspection failed within 12 months, tires gone and no support from BMW. Very poor customer care. 3. Door from driver side failed, wouldn't work with keyless entry. 4. Here comes the worst one, engine malfunction. God saved my life on a highway where my X5 suddenly gave this error message on dashboard screen and stopped suddenly on highway, where 2 big trailers were just behind me. Very scarey. 5. Low battery message in just 16 months.

Fuel Pump issue and putting on a hitch aftermarket
By jamielovesbob on 08/26/12 07:28 AM (PDT)

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I love the way this car drives but after 10,000 miles it broke down on the side of the road. It was a fuel pump issue which I've heard has been a consistent issue with the X5. My friend said they are replacing it with the same fuel pumps so she ended up having it happen again and got rid of her car. I also opted to put a hitch on aftermarket but beware it may cause serious problems with your lease return since they have to actually break off a piece of the bumber to put it on so you would get dinged when turning in the lease. I opted to use the tow clips with a BMW bike rack which carries 2 bikes (can opt for a 3rd tray but it would be tight) and it's a fantastic bike rack.

Back to BMW for more space for new baby.
By senator1971 on 05/11/12 12:57 PM (PDT)

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Sport Activity 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Very pleased with the car so far after 2 weeks. Switched from a 2010 Range Rover Sport with the 5.0 V8 but the car is just as fast - different power delivery. Fuel economy in a different league. Ride quality is much better than the RRS both on 20" wheels. Handling is much more sedan than SUV. Convenience features on the BMW are leagues ahead of the RRS. Electronics are so much better thought out and things like the power lift tailgate etc make a big difference when you have a small one. Last BMW was a diesel X5 in the UK ten years ago, was one of the best cars I've ever had. Mine is actually a 2013 model not that there are any changes.

Yes to BMW X5
By jpe123 on 03/22/12 17:53 PM (PDT)

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

The 2005 BMW X5 is my first BMW. I was amazed at how fun this car was to drive. The X5 is a sports car, not an off road vehicle. Don't buy this car if you intend to do a lot of off road driving. The X5 handles like a dream even at high speeds. The top speed is about 128 MPH. At 128 MPH the x5 handles like my Land Rover did at 70 MPH. Speed and handling are definately the X5's best features. The X5 is dependable. If you have any problems it will be with the electrical system. BMW has power plant, drivetraine and suspension down pat. They have a few things to learn when it comes to electronics. I have had problems with tail lights and electric door locks.

Very Nice
By ee64 on 03/03/12 14:07 PM (PST)

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Just bought my x5 2/3/12 and simply love it. Drove the SRX, and Q7 and when I drove the X5 it sold me right on the spot. Great handling, though a bit tight in the steering but the rest of the pros were great. Ken

Fun to drive but have software issues
By will1over on 02/05/12 15:49 PM (PST)

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I took delivery of my X5 4.4L V8 in January 2012. The performance and body design of this vehicle are without a doubt awesome. It's interior layout and idrive system are equally impressive. Nonetheless, I am disappointed with the rear entertainment system. My DVD player will activate when initially placing a DVD in the player (when the vehicle is on), However it will not resume play using the DVD play button. Additionally, the DVD player volume control button does not work. I was informed by one of the local BMW service departments that the problem is a software issue and that BMW is seeking a solution.

Great vehicle!
By drsevrin on 11/08/11 09:31 AM (PST)

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have had my X5 for 4 months now and it is a dream to drive. I get approximately 18.3 mpg in mostly city driving. It handles the snow very well. The x-drive is amazing. Great handling, great acceleration but there is a slight turbo lag which does not bother me. The iPhone hookup is great. Music sounds great on the premium sound system. Seats are very comfortable and supportive with the comfort seat option. The vehicle is very "smart" and has lots of electronic customizations available through the iDrive. The iDrive is abit overwhelming at first but after a week or so one can figure it out with ease. Ventilation is great in front and back. Exterior fit and finish is impeccable.

New X5
By stevemn1 on 09/29/11 21:22 PM (PDT)

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Just purchased my first BMW. Previously drove Infiniti M35X. Also considered new Mercedes M Series, Porsche Cayenne, and Mercedes E Class, but liked X5 too much to wait for the new Mercedes M. IDrive system has been relatively easy to learn. Owned car for several weeks now. Great freeway vehicle. Good overall comprise between sporty ride close to a typical german sedan and interior room of SUV -- all in a medium size overall package that is reasonable to park/maneuver in an urban environment. Very satisfied so far.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 BMW X5 Suv in VA is:

$174 per month*