Used 2012 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Love It AND Hate It
By TQuinn

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned this vehicle for 14 month. It has been on a flatbed truck FOUR times!!!!

Thermostat failure caused car to shut down while I was driving on the parkway - stuck for 3 hours.
Brakes seized and calipers would not free the front wheels - stuck for 2 hours.
Coolant reservior EXPLODED - coolant everywhere - stuck for 3 hours.
Oil Tank EXPLODED - oil EVERYWHERE - stuck for 3 hours.

The only saving grace is that my local dealership has excellent service and has provided me with a loaner vehicle every time mine was in the shop (it has gotten to the point that I feel it needs repairs whenever it is dirty so I at least get a free wash out of it....). The X5 is pretty. It handles very well. It has great pick-up and braking capacity.......but it has ZERO reliability.

NEVER AGAIN!

Not for Family
By Reza Ghandi

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

High tech high performance and safe and overal uncomfortable, sporty and rough drive and very hard steering !

How BMW lost a 15 year customer
By Don Louis

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

We bought two X5's, one in 2001, one in 2011. The 2012 X5 has 28K miles on it and warranty expired in October '15. In early October, the car called BMW and said service was required. We took it and they could not say what service was needed. We told them to replace the wipers since we were there on our $1,000+ extended service plan. So far we have gotten two sets of wipers and two oil changes for our $1000. Don't buy that plan from them. It covers little. In December '15 the vehicle was leaking oil in the garage. They determined it was leaking from a hose going to the turbocharger and fixed it as a courtesy beyond the warranty period at no charge. 45 days later it was leaking again in the same spot in the garage. This time it was determined that the turbocharger needed replaced. They agreed to replace it with a 5% deductible of $263. Each trip there is painful. The service department is grossly understaffed. Today there was one adviser there, with a line waiting to see her. She was literally running, doing her best. After a 10 minute wait to pay and a 10 minute wait to get the vehicle, I was out. The car smells like glue really strong. I got an appraisal too, no longer having peace of mind. Our $60K car is now worth $24K after 4 years and 4 months, and 28,000 miles. BMW no longer holds it's value. Our 15 years of BMW loyalty are at an end. The quality of product has declined, and the dealer experiences are time consuming and frustrating. BMW is supposed to give you peace of mind and the ultimate driving experience. For us, they have failed.

Great car ,reliable ,fun to drive
By okahati

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Since 2012 I own my BMW x5 . I got it new ,Other then free regular service I had never had any problem with the car, it's fun to drive , the navigation system needs improvment ,

Great exceleration,comfortable seats ,reliable ,

The navigation system is not comfortable to use , I'm using the Waze instead, Most likely the service department at BMW OF BAYSIDE NY will not have a loaner car to give you when you are coming for service

Confidence in the Passing Lane
By ponch

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Sport Activity 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

On the highway, in the passing lane….this is where the BMW X5 sets itself apart.
It holds the lane so well and it WANTSto go fast.
It is so comfortable on a long trip home from the ski slopes, you look at other vehicles that you pass from the far left lane and think to yourself…"Gosh, I'm sorry you're not driving this"
Its not about the emblem, its about the strength and soul under the hood. This all sounds a bit melodramatic, but see for yourself…compare an X5 to a Lexus GX…it is no contest.

Strong acceleration reminds me of a 747 taking off. Holds lane tight. Really like the iDrive control knob and iPod interface. Easy and more safe to use than a touch screen.

Steering at low speeds could be a little easier.