Used 2012 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 BMW X5 SUV

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Great car ,reliable ,fun to drive
By okahati

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Since 2012 I own my BMW x5 . I got it new ,Other then free regular service I had never had any problem with the car, it's fun to drive , the navigation system needs improvment ,

Favorite Features

Great exceleration,comfortable seats ,reliable ,

Suggested Improvements

The navigation system is not comfortable to use , I'm using the Waze instead, Most likely the service department at BMW OF BAYSIDE NY will not have a loaner car to give you when you are coming for service

Confidence in the Passing Lane
By ponch

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Sport Activity 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

On the highway, in the passing lane….this is where the BMW X5 sets itself apart. It holds the lane so well and it WANTSto go fast. It is so comfortable on a long trip home from the ski slopes, you look at other vehicles that you pass from the far left lane and think to yourself…"Gosh, I'm sorry you're not driving this" Its not about the emblem, its about the strength and soul under the hood. This all sounds a bit melodramatic, but see for yourself…compare an X5 to a Lexus GX…it is no contest.

Favorite Features

Strong acceleration reminds me of a 747 taking off. Holds lane tight. Really like the iDrive control knob and iPod interface. Easy and more safe to use than a touch screen.

Suggested Improvements

Steering at low speeds could be a little easier.

1.5 Year BMW X5 experience
By sanjupahari

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Sport Activity 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Let me provide you with the list of problems i faced one after the other. 1. Dashboard failed within 3 months. 2.State inspection failed within 12 months, tires gone and no support from BMW. Very poor customer care. 3. Door from driver side failed, wouldn't work with keyless entry. 4. Here comes the worst one, engine malfunction. God saved my life on a highway where my X5 suddenly gave this error message on dashboard screen and stopped suddenly on highway, where 2 big trailers were just behind me. Very scarey. 5. Low battery message in just 16 months.

Favorite Features

Good sounds system, nice interior and I love the wipers.

Suggested Improvements

Need to work hard on customer care. Very arrogant and rude people handling that part of BMW. Never expected and would never buy this brand again. Would not recommend to any of my friends and family.

Fuel Pump issue and putting on a hitch aftermarket
By jamielovesbob

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I love the way this car drives but after 10,000 miles it broke down on the side of the road. It was a fuel pump issue which I've heard has been a consistent issue with the X5. My friend said they are replacing it with the same fuel pumps so she ended up having it happen again and got rid of her car. I also opted to put a hitch on aftermarket but beware it may cause serious problems with your lease return since they have to actually break off a piece of the bumber to put it on so you would get dinged when turning in the lease. I opted to use the tow clips with a BMW bike rack which carries 2 bikes (can opt for a 3rd tray but it would be tight) and it's a fantastic bike rack.

Favorite Features

Extra large sunroof makes it open and airy. Loved the fact that my Blackberry was compatible with the office system and my emails come up but Iphone is not. Boo hoo. They can't keep up with which phones are really compatible and BMW is behind the curve so beware of this fact. They told me BMW's love Iphones but my Blackberry had better compatability.

Suggested Improvements

If you notice that you are getting horrible gas mileage from the start and your fuel indicator won't go all the way to the right when completely full it will probably be the fuel pump. I noticed this changed when they replaced it and I figure BMW owes me about $1,000 in gas!

Back to BMW for more space for new baby.
By senator1971

2012 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Sport Activity 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Very pleased with the car so far after 2 weeks. Switched from a 2010 Range Rover Sport with the 5.0 V8 but the car is just as fast - different power delivery. Fuel economy in a different league. Ride quality is much better than the RRS both on 20" wheels. Handling is much more sedan than SUV. Convenience features on the BMW are leagues ahead of the RRS. Electronics are so much better thought out and things like the power lift tailgate etc make a big difference when you have a small one. Last BMW was a diesel X5 in the UK ten years ago, was one of the best cars I've ever had. Mine is actually a 2013 model not that there are any changes.

Favorite Features

Handling, and the iDrive/Navigation set up. Power/fuel economy trade off in 3.0 litre six is pretty much spot on. Would have bought the diesel if there were more diesel gas stations in the NYC area.

Suggested Improvements

I paid extra for the sound upgrade package and it doesn't sound as good as you'd imagine a 600 watt system should. Car is getting long in the tooth now, so guess they won't make any changes until supposed new car for 2014. Says a great deal that we still selected it over the brand new Mercedes ML.