Used 2012 BMW X5 Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Bmw X5 - Consumer Reviews

2012 BMW X5 Diesel

xDrive35d 3.0L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel AWD 6-speed Automatic - (5 reviews )

Glad I Chose a 2012 BMW X5 Diesel
By carbear3

2012 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I bought this car about 2 years ago. Interested in better gas mileage but something that also offered me luxury and power, I decided to buy the 2012 X5 diesel. I'm glad I did. My car is sleek, plush, extremely well-built and runs perfectly. What I like about the diesel, too, is that it keeps getting better gas mileage as I break it in. I feel safe in my BMW and pampered. Thanks to my BMW's excellent steering and speed, I was saved from (and avoided) what could have been a life-altering accident. I've never been so impressed with a vehicle--so was my friend, who was also saved. This was an excellent choice for me, and going to the facility in South Carolina was icing on the cake.

Favorite Features

The ride is smooth, plush and fun. It's comfortable. I love the sun roof, navigation system, and back-up camera. She turns on a dime and has speed. The design is carved exquisite. She always sparkles and is a joy to ride in. I wasn't sure how I'd like having a diesel, but I love it. I can't say enough good things about this car.

Suggested Improvements

I've had my car for almost 2 years, and I can't think of anything she's missing. I suppose I'd always like better gas mileage. More room for modern gadgets for front seat access, like cell phones, would be great. My 3rd-row is pretty skimpy.

BMW does not protect electronics from melted snow or grocery spills in the cargo area
By x5dieselowner

2012 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Do not let the BMW perception for reliability deceive you. Common place expectations for simple engineering rigor to protect consumers from costly repairs due to liquid damage is not a part of the BMW reputation. If you are considering purchasing a BMW think twice. The marketing team was responsible for the final decision not to repair over $1300.00 in damage due to electronics placed along the drip path for liquid spills in the rear cargo area of the X5d. The electronic connectors were placed in a position so that the cup is turned in a way to catch liquids. There are no protective nor preventative measures to prevent liquids from entering and destroying critical expensive electronics.

Favorite Features

At the vehicle purchase cost of $70k and no engineering rigor to protect consumers from liquid spills from groceries, camping equipment, or melted snow from your skis there is not a favorite feature for this vehicle. There are several electronic processors, sensors, and controllers for braking, stabilization, and critical systems components for the operation of the vehicle. This vehicle has the potential to leave you stranded and freezing in a blizzard, in the rain with a wet pair of boots in the back, or on the side of the road in the middle of the night due to a spilled starbucks drink.

Suggested Improvements

Buy a Mercedes, a GMC, or a vehicle from a manufacturer who stands behind their reputation and provides engineering rigor as a part of quality control.

Love it, but....
By dave445

2012 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

This is a great SUV in every aspect except one, in Illinois it's impossible to find diesel that meets the requirement of not exceeding 5% bio content. Illinois doesn't tax diesel if it has more than 11% bio content. So no fuel stations carry fuel with a lower content. All pumps that I've seen state 5-20% bio content. Same issue with every Audi, VW and Mercedes.

Expensive, but Very Nice
By tmbmw

2012 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Picked mine up at the BMW performance center in S.C. Excellent experience and highly recommended to anyone purchasing a BMW SUV. I got to push the car a little and it truly let me know how safe this car is on the road. Sold my 2011 Audi Q5 2.0T and it was well worth the move.

Favorite Features

The engine is very smooth and you don't notice the fact that it only has a 6-speed tranny compared to the 8-speed on the gasoline engines. I got 29mpg on my way back from the factory. The engine is very quiet and has plenty of power. Another benefit of the diesel is the engine heat works off of the electronics to warm the engine faster (due to diesel), which means you get heat faster in the car. Add a heated steering wheel and the heated seats and the cold mornings are a non-event. The multi-contour seats are very comfortable and the sports package adds a nice touch to the interior.

Suggested Improvements

For this kind of money, it would be nice to have a remote starter. Also, the car has several blind spots so I catch myself looking twice when changing lanes. While the car has plenty of torque, it would be nice to see the 40d come to the states.

Don't want to drive anything else.
By mhmt

2012 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I have been driving BMWs since 10 years. The diesel X5 is so far, and by far the best BMW, I have driven. Car moves like a sedan with the power of diesel engine. It's the best option to buy in the USA Market.

Favorite Features

Diesel Engine, Torque, Bluetooth Audio.

Suggested Improvements

Larger screen navigation.