Used 2012 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Great car ,reliable ,fun to drive
By okahati

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Since 2012 I own my BMW x5 . I got it new ,Other then free regular service I had never had any problem with the car, it's fun to drive , the navigation system needs improvment ,

Great exceleration,comfortable seats ,reliable ,

The navigation system is not comfortable to use , I'm using the Waze instead, Most likely the service department at BMW OF BAYSIDE NY will not have a loaner car to give you when you are coming for service

Glad I Chose a 2012 BMW X5 Diesel
By carbear3

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I bought this car about 2 years ago. Interested in better gas mileage but something that also offered me luxury and power, I decided to buy the 2012 X5 diesel. I'm glad I did. My car is sleek, plush, extremely well-built and runs perfectly. What I like about the diesel, too, is that it keeps getting better gas mileage as I break it in. I feel safe in my BMW and pampered. Thanks to my BMW's excellent steering and speed, I was saved from (and avoided) what could have been a life-altering accident. I've never been so impressed with a vehicle--so was my friend, who was also saved. This was an excellent choice for me, and going to the facility in South Carolina was icing on the cake.

The ride is smooth, plush and fun. It's comfortable. I love the sun roof, navigation system, and back-up camera. She turns on a dime and has speed. The design is carved exquisite. She always sparkles and is a joy to ride in. I wasn't sure how I'd like having a diesel, but I love it. I can't say enough good things about this car.

I've had my car for almost 2 years, and I can't think of anything she's missing. I suppose I'd always like better gas mileage. More room for modern gadgets for front seat access, like cell phones, would be great. My 3rd-row is pretty skimpy.

Confidence in the Passing Lane
By ponch

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

On the highway, in the passing lane….this is where the BMW X5 sets itself apart. It holds the lane so well and it WANTSto go fast. It is so comfortable on a long trip home from the ski slopes, you look at other vehicles that you pass from the far left lane and think to yourself…"Gosh, I'm sorry you're not driving this" Its not about the emblem, its about the strength and soul under the hood. This all sounds a bit melodramatic, but see for yourself…compare an X5 to a Lexus GX…it is no contest.

Strong acceleration reminds me of a 747 taking off. Holds lane tight. Really like the iDrive control knob and iPod interface. Easy and more safe to use than a touch screen.

Steering at low speeds could be a little easier.

BMW does not protect electronics from melted snow or grocery spills in the cargo area
By x5dieselowner

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Do not let the BMW perception for reliability deceive you. Common place expectations for simple engineering rigor to protect consumers from costly repairs due to liquid damage is not a part of the BMW reputation. If you are considering purchasing a BMW think twice. The marketing team was responsible for the final decision not to repair over $1300.00 in damage due to electronics placed along the drip path for liquid spills in the rear cargo area of the X5d. The electronic connectors were placed in a position so that the cup is turned in a way to catch liquids. There are no protective nor preventative measures to prevent liquids from entering and destroying critical expensive electronics.

At the vehicle purchase cost of $70k and no engineering rigor to protect consumers from liquid spills from groceries, camping equipment, or melted snow from your skis there is not a favorite feature for this vehicle. There are several electronic processors, sensors, and controllers for braking, stabilization, and critical systems components for the operation of the vehicle. This vehicle has the potential to leave you stranded and freezing in a blizzard, in the rain with a wet pair of boots in the back, or on the side of the road in the middle of the night due to a spilled starbucks drink.

Buy a Mercedes, a GMC, or a vehicle from a manufacturer who stands behind their reputation and provides engineering rigor as a part of quality control.

1.5 Year BMW X5 experience
By sanjupahari

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Let me provide you with the list of problems i faced one after the other. 1. Dashboard failed within 3 months. 2.State inspection failed within 12 months, tires gone and no support from BMW. Very poor customer care. 3. Door from driver side failed, wouldn't work with keyless entry. 4. Here comes the worst one, engine malfunction. God saved my life on a highway where my X5 suddenly gave this error message on dashboard screen and stopped suddenly on highway, where 2 big trailers were just behind me. Very scarey. 5. Low battery message in just 16 months.

Good sounds system, nice interior and I love the wipers.

Need to work hard on customer care. Very arrogant and rude people handling that part of BMW. Never expected and would never buy this brand again. Would not recommend to any of my friends and family.