X5 50i 9K mile whine update
By x5 on
2011 BMW X5 xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)
My X5 50i is now 4 months old, has 9,000 miles and still whines at around 2,000 rpm, badly enough to embarrass a Lada driver. Apparently BMW is OK with that. However, if you complain enough you will discover that this problem is common to the X5 50i and the 750i which both have the same power train. Apparently BMW has now determined that the cause is a defective engine oil pump. The repair requires removing the front differential and axles, the front subframe, lifting the engine and removing 2 oil pans in order to replace the pump. This is documented on the Bimmerfest website, so I was not alone with this problem. Now, do I trust my Dealership to do this without screwing up my car?
Favorite Features
Power, torque,ventilated seats, handling. The active steering option with 2 turns lock to lock, mitigates the otherwise large 42ft turning circle. Brakes are excellent. The 20" wheels suit the body style, in my opinion. No noticeable degradation to the ride with the 20" wheels.
Suggested Improvements
Should be able to CLOSE the rear hatch remotely. Contrary to other posts, the A/C is marginal, especially here in Florida. It struggles, but the ventilated seats help a bit. A remote start feature should be offered. After 4 months I'm still waiting for rear panel from Germany for my trailer hitch