Bye Bye X5
By rakundig on
2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)
Bought my X5, custom built, in 2010, delivered Aug 2010. I put just about every option into it except that suspension option. I don't plan to offroad in my BMW so I didn't see the point. Sales experience was horrible. Performance is sub-par. It suffers from horrible performance below 50 mph. Hesitation off the line and if you give it gas to accelerate it waits for about a second before kicking you in the shorts. I assume this is because it is in 6th gear at 40mph. After a 1.5 years of driving it I have had enough. It has nice polish but the engine/tranny is junk. Just traded it for a Volvo which isn't as polished but actually goes when I give it gas.
Favorite Features
comfort access Heads Up Display
Suggested Improvements
replace the HPFP, engine, tranny. the performance is just insulting. It is supposed to be a high end luxury car and it is sluggish and slow, unless you stay in "sport" mode all the time. Mileage is atrocious.
By pawswagn
on 04/20/14 15:06 PM (PDT)

Traded in my 2008 535xiT for a CPO 2011 X5 35i in January. Love it! Not as fast as the 535, but it's hauling an extra 1,000 pounds so that's to be expected. There are times when it's a bit slow but never any throttle lag. The transmission is clearly tuned for economy in normal mode so it feels hesitant to downshift at times. But put it in sport mode and you get an entirely different feel. The ride can be a bit flinty over broken pavement, but this is a truck. Much more refined than my '05 4Runner V8, but truckier than my ' 08 wagon. Best of both worlds.