2011 BMW X5 Consumer Review: Fun to drive, few odd quirks,

2011 BMW X5 - Consumer Review

Fun to drive, few odd quirks, delicate
By MonkeyDo on

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I purchased a 2011 X5d at Long Beach BMW. So far, I'm not impressed with Long Beach BMW and may never return, but that is another story for another time. One month in, I still like the vehicle. It has a few odd quirks and some parts are of questionable durability, but over all, not bad and fun to drive. Odd quirks: rear tailgate button on keyless remote is too sensitive. Shoulder belt height is not adjustable. Questionable durability: plastic on under side of running boards and around wheel wells is not going to hold up. Already a few minor pits and scratches in the first 1000 miles on average city streets. Also, one rim already scratched and I don't parallel park.

I love the Turbo diesel. I'm averaging slightly over 20 mpg around town and sometimes a little over 30 on the freeway with light traffic and cruise control! Also, lots of wonderful torque makes this vehicle really go when you want it to!

Every other vehicle I've driven over the last decade+ had adjustable height shoulder belts but not this $60k vehicle. Tailgate is too easy to accidentally open with keyless remote in your pocket. Plastic on the exterior needs to be improved. Also, paint on rims apparently flakes off very easily
By dembyra
on 11/04/11 08:51 AM (PDT)

I also have had a problem with paint flaking off a rim , and I never touch a curb. I can only conclude that car wash guide rails must scrape the rims, especially with the 20" wheels.