Buyer Beware
By njbmw1 on
2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)
Bought a X5 5.0 and it has been a disaster. Car has gone down (literally wouldn't start or drive) 3 times in under the first 7,000 miles. First time it was the battery/alternator. Second time it was an engine coil and now they claim my spark plugs went bad. This is not to mention a defective DVD player that had to be replaced. Also, one thing your salesperson won't tell you but every service guy knows right away is that Verizon Blackberrys do not work with the Idrive system. The Idrive will go down about every two months. You then have to unpair your phone, take the battery out and reset up the phone. They should tell people this before they buy the cars but they don't.
Favorite Features
Engine is amazing when it works. I do think that the new 5.0 engines have some serious bugs in them though. See the first part of my review. You can't make this stuff up. Car is a disaster. I suggest waiting a year or two until the get the kinks out and also figure out how to get the idrive to work with a Verizon Blackberry. Classic how the salespeople never tell you that but every service guy knows it without even checking.
Suggested Improvements
Idrive that works with Verizon Blackberrys. Like other people have commented is that it is a VERY stiff car. Also, there is no spare tire. I was shocked to learn this. Can you imagine being on a trip on a Sunday and getting a flat. You get 50 miles on run flats. You have zero chance on a Sunday of getting another tire. You will be sitting in a Holiday Inn on the side of the road waiting for Monday.
By rchris
on 04/17/11 12:39 PM (PDT)

6 months going and no problem with linking with / using my Verizon Blackberry.

By dembyra
on 11/04/11 08:44 AM (PDT)

Sorry to hear about your problems with your 50i. I now have 23,000 miles on mine and have had no problems at all. Suprising really given BMWs supposed reliability issues. HOWEVER, the one issue that really drives me crazy is a whining noise from the engine at around 1500 rpm which happens in Neutral or driving at low speeds. My Dealer initially say that they can't hear it, then that they can hear it and it's normal, then that they all do it. Then they just ignore me. I like the car, but that whining is terrible.

By jamielovesbob
on 04/17/11 12:18 PM (PDT)

Thank you SO much for posting this. I just got another Blackberry yesterday and would have lost my mind over this. I also am horrified that any car wouldn't come with a spare. What car do you WISH you had chosen? I'm driving a Lexus Rx350 and want something sportier... Thanks