Used 2011 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

2011 BMW X5

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Buy one if you can afford it.
By gregvdv

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

First off let me say that I'm comparing this vehicle againist my BMW 650i that I traded in for it. Plus my wifes BMW 535. It really is a great vehicle. Don't expect it to be or act like a sports car because it's not. Don't expect it to be an off road vehicle because it's not. It trully is a sports activity vehicle. It is fun to drive. It does have many comfort features. It does alot of things very well but it is in its own catagory.
It has great performance but not as good as my 650 so I'm being picky. It is fun to drive but not as fun as my 650 or 535. I don't have any complaints about the X5 as a whole, just a few things stick out because I've been driving a BMW for almost 10 years now.

Perforated seats with massage. Comfort access. 25 mpg on average. More room than my last car (650). More area in the back for grocerys, stuff. Being able to copy songs on the hard drive for playback. Overall I love everything

The I Drive is being touted as a great improvement over the old one. It is faster but I would argue that it's easier to use. I liked the ease of my old one and knew what I was doing with it without looking. I can't imagine ever being that good with this one. The Navigation especailly is not easier to use than on my 2006 650. The Sirius radio won't tell me what song is playing if I'm listening to my presets. My 650 would. Back up camera/visual display is really grainy. I know I'm being very picky but these are the things that bother me so far. I'm sure I'll get used to it. I have 1700 miles on it already after 10 days of ownership.

BMW are terrible especially if buying from Peoria
By terrible

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Very expensive to maintain, especially if you buy it from Peoria, il. Cheaters. They'll stab you as they did it on me. Bmw looks good but, it's not worth it, trust me, that was my second x5. I will never buy it again. It was 2011 and now we are in Feb. 2011 and I sold it finally. Hate bmw and hate bmw Peoria , illinois.

nothing.

be nice to your clients and not like tim Leaman in Peoria, il. BMW.

Good Car, but not perfect!
By ezhang

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I purchased the X5 diesel in Dec 2010 and I have only put on 2500 miles so far. I took one month vacation overseas in Jan/Feb. When I came back, I was worried that the battery might be dead. To my surprise, it started like I just parked it overnight. I have gotten 25.8 mpg on 70/30 Hwy/City driving. It handles most road conditions well. We had some snow just yesterday and today in Seattle, I can feel that the car swins a little bit on the road (less than one inch accumulation), not as confident as other 4wd suvs. Luckily we don't have too many snow days here. The navigation is not very accurate. When I was driving on highway, it showed that I was on a road pararel to the hwy. When I get home ( rural setting), it showed that I am on my neighbour's road 200 ft off my home. Looks like the Germans are not as good as the Japanese in terms of electronics. Also, my second key lost its battery already and can not open or lock the car. It is on my to do list to bring it to the dealer.

Sun roof

Navigation system needs to be more accurate.

NOT PERFECT BUT GOOD
By jasunlaw

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Build quality and driving experience are top notch. Here are my issues; (i) because it handles so well, it is not that great in the snow; (ii) it is vault tight but there quite a few rattles in the back which started after 5000 miles; (iii) there could have been a bigger cargo area-my corvette has almost as much room; (iv) very sensitive check engine light warning system and not all deales know how to fix it-one dealer said my car need a full day of re-programming... a second simply reset it
minutes after I arrived for service. Do not open gas cap while engine is running.

Handling (for such a heavy vehicle), acceleration and gas mileage. I like the i-drive and do not know why everbody complains about it. Navigation is the best I have experienced. I also like the stiff steering and tight suspension.

You have to spend a lot of money to get a homelink system which this should be standard. I hate the location of the door lock button and many of the steering column controls are counter-intuitive. Back-up camera should be standard because rear visibility is limited.

Buyer Beware
By njbmw1

2011 BMW X5 xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Bought a X5 5.0 and it has been a disaster. Car has gone down (literally wouldn't start or drive) 3 times in under the first 7,000 miles. First time it was the battery/alternator. Second time it was an engine coil and now they claim my spark plugs went bad. This is not to mention a defective DVD player that had to be replaced. Also, one thing your salesperson won't tell you but every service guy knows right away is that Verizon Blackberrys do not work with the Idrive system. The Idrive will go down about every two months. You then have to unpair your phone, take the battery out and reset up the phone. They should tell people this before they buy the cars but they don't.

Engine is amazing when it works. I do think that the new 5.0 engines have some serious bugs in them though. See the first part of my review. You can't make this stuff up. Car is a disaster. I suggest waiting a year or two until the get the kinks out and also figure out how to get the idrive to work with a Verizon Blackberry. Classic how the salespeople never tell you that but every service guy knows it without even checking.

Idrive that works with Verizon Blackberrys. Like other people have commented is that it is a VERY stiff car. Also, there is no spare tire. I was shocked to learn this. Can you imagine being on a trip on a Sunday and getting a flat. You get 50 miles on run flats. You have zero chance on a Sunday of getting another tire. You will be sitting in a Holiday Inn on the side of the road waiting for Monday.