Used 2011 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

NOT PERFECT BUT GOOD
By jasunlaw

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Build quality and driving experience are top notch. Here are my issues; (i) because it handles so well, it is not that great in the snow; (ii) it is vault tight but there quite a few rattles in the back which started after 5000 miles; (iii) there could have been a bigger cargo area-my corvette has almost as much room; (iv) very sensitive check engine light warning system and not all deales know how to fix it-one dealer said my car need a full day of re-programming... a second simply reset it minutes after I arrived for service. Do not open gas cap while engine is running.

Handling (for such a heavy vehicle), acceleration and gas mileage. I like the i-drive and do not know why everbody complains about it. Navigation is the best I have experienced. I also like the stiff steering and tight suspension.

You have to spend a lot of money to get a homelink system which this should be standard. I hate the location of the door lock button and many of the steering column controls are counter-intuitive. Back-up camera should be standard because rear visibility is limited.

Buyer Beware
By njbmw1

2011 BMW X5 xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Bought a X5 5.0 and it has been a disaster. Car has gone down (literally wouldn't start or drive) 3 times in under the first 7,000 miles. First time it was the battery/alternator. Second time it was an engine coil and now they claim my spark plugs went bad. This is not to mention a defective DVD player that had to be replaced. Also, one thing your salesperson won't tell you but every service guy knows right away is that Verizon Blackberrys do not work with the Idrive system. The Idrive will go down about every two months. You then have to unpair your phone, take the battery out and reset up the phone. They should tell people this before they buy the cars but they don't.

Engine is amazing when it works. I do think that the new 5.0 engines have some serious bugs in them though. See the first part of my review. You can't make this stuff up. Car is a disaster. I suggest waiting a year or two until the get the kinks out and also figure out how to get the idrive to work with a Verizon Blackberry. Classic how the salespeople never tell you that but every service guy knows it without even checking.

Idrive that works with Verizon Blackberrys. Like other people have commented is that it is a VERY stiff car. Also, there is no spare tire. I was shocked to learn this. Can you imagine being on a trip on a Sunday and getting a flat. You get 50 miles on run flats. You have zero chance on a Sunday of getting another tire. You will be sitting in a Holiday Inn on the side of the road waiting for Monday.

New improved bmw x5
By mike sab

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Vehicle has plenty of power and handles very well. My only two complaints are steering is a little stiff in parking lots and I having a resonating noise out of the exhaust between gears 1-3. My two previous BMWs did not have those issues.

turbo power, updated nav, wheels, interior looks like a million bucks.

60k vehicles should not resonate and make a rattling noise out of the muffler.

Update on my Original Review
By AX5

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I still think the X5 and all BMW's are a blast to drive, but I'm starting to have the High Pressure Fuel Pump issues. It takes longer to start up (anywhere from 4-5 seconds) and I'm starting to see re-occurring error codes whenever I hook up my diagnostic system. BMW went public on there HPFP issue, but only for 2007- 2010 model years. They need to include 2011 models in their recall, as my X5 and several other 2011 model year cars are having HPFP issues

Outstanding Performance, Passenger and Cargo Space.

A viable solution to the HPFP issue, not band-aid fixes.

This car is not very good to my liking
By john denny

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

The car was stiff, I had to fill it up 4 times a week just doing my job showing homes on the mainline, I thought it was overpriced for what you got and I myself spent over 60k on mine and I still do not see my investment coming back, I had gotten the gps system in my vehicle and I thought it was very difficult to use and my widget would get stuck very often and that was annoying, then it was the trunk it was super heavy to open and sometimes it would get stuck and there is 2 parts to it to get it open fully, the back seats were very uncomfortable to ride in because they were hard as a rock and very stiff. The 4x4 is one of the most awful terrain vehicles I have ever driven.

nothing to include