2011 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
Helluva Machine
By Mel Keezadec on 09/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This is a " real machine " to be proud of. It's fun to drive , well- built, and performs very well. Classy, stylish, and muscular.

Super SUV
By Frank on 09/01/10 05:13 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I choose another BMW after purchasing a 2009 M3 convertible. This SUV combines refinement, luxury and agility. It's fun too drive and gets good fuel economy. I upgraded from a 2008 Toyota Highlander which is a great SUV in itself. I choose this SUV over the M series Mercedes which in my opinion didn't compare. If you have the means and are looking for a great SUV check out the X5.

Vroom Diesel
By chuck1969 on 08/27/10 01:50 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

We traded an 2009 ML 320 Bluetec on this one. I miss the better visors in the Mercedes and the easier Command system versus the Idrive. And this is the most updated version of iDrive? I miss the keypad to make calls and change stations on the MB. But now for the good part BMW is head and shoulders above the MB in terms of performance, and It is rated better in the MPG dept. I love the panoramic roof. I like knowing that i wont have to wonder what my service is gonna cost me for 4 more years its ZERO out of pocket. If you are looking at either one, trust me its the BMW that you want. Not that the MB is all bad mind you its just not as surefooted like the BMW when you push it.

X5 50i Very Disappointing
By x5 on 08/11/10 12:28 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I now have about 3000 miles on my 2011 X5 50i. I had high expectations for a vehicle that I paid almost $80K for. However, there is a persistent and annoying engine whine at slower speeds in the lower gears. It increases and decreases with engine speed and can be reproduced at about 2000 rpm while stationary and in neutral. I think that it could be the clutch in the alternator. However, two Dealerships have told me that it's normal for the 4.4 twin turbo, get used to it, or turn up the radio. I liked the car but this is unacceptable. I need to get rid of this car. I can't believe that any car manufacturer would approve this situation.

So far so great!
By cbr on 08/10/10 09:07 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

The car is beautiful to look at and a delight to drive. The fit and finish are excellent. There are a lot of features and a lot to learn. If all continues to work year after year as now, then this is as close to an ideal as I have come. Time will tell.

Fast, economic, luxurious, but...
By Polren on 08/09/10 13:29 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Great vehicle overall, with really nice handling (xDrive), good braking, comfortable. The third row seats are for small children or for short distance, pretty much anybody.

Everything I wanted and More
By AX5 on 08/03/10 11:11 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

The X5 is a great Sport Activity Vehicle. It is a bit on the expensive side compared to Ford, Chevy and other big named SUV manufacturers, but they aren't as thrilling to drive as the X5. Performance is spot on, like many other BMW's, and the new Twin-Scroll Turbo provides even more thrills. Coming from a 335xi (Twin Turbo) the X5 provides the same excitement during driving that the 335 did. Also the interior space is massive, and provides enough comfort for me and my occasional passengers. I do not regret this purchase.

For show NOT off road
By sokunroath on 07/29/10 19:55 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

PRO: Great Saving by order through manufacture and took 4 weeks to get the wagon Xdrive 35i. MSRP $61,925, bought for $56,250. Luxury richness is there. CON: Nav & temp systems are rather difficult to navigate. Rear camera noise would not turn when need it to be off.

X5 Diesel is a great car!
By BuMo68 on 07/26/10 12:24 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I also own an ML320 diesel (My wife drives the ML and I drive the X5) and although the ride of the X5 is not as smooth, the X5 is better handling, faster, and better fuel mileage (Averaging 24mpg in the first 1800 miles). I have only had the car for about 1 month, but it is a great car. I read reviews that the ride was rough, and the seats we not comfortable, but I do not find those true. The X5 rides great, and the seats are very comfortable. I do have the multi contour seats and you can adjust them in so many ways. My wife wants to trade cars now.

Excellent SUV
By jay on 07/23/10 11:14 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I just bought a 2011 BMW X5 35i Premium. Love the acceleration and the fuel economy. Being 8 speed also makes it very smooth. I-drive is great and so is the panoramic roof.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 BMW X5 in VA is:

$154 per month*