2011 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
Super SUV
By Frank on 09/01/10 05:13 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Sport Activity 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I choose another BMW after purchasing a 2009 M3 convertible. This SUV combines refinement, luxury and agility. It's fun too drive and gets good fuel economy. I upgraded from a 2008 Toyota Highlander which is a great SUV in itself. I choose this SUV over the M series Mercedes which in my opinion didn't compare. If you have the means and are looking for a great SUV check out the X5.

X5 50i Very Disappointing
By x5 on 08/11/10 12:28 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I now have about 3000 miles on my 2011 X5 50i. I had high expectations for a vehicle that I paid almost $80K for. However, there is a persistent and annoying engine whine at slower speeds in the lower gears. It increases and decreases with engine speed and can be reproduced at about 2000 rpm while stationary and in neutral. I think that it could be the clutch in the alternator. However, two Dealerships have told me that it's normal for the 4.4 twin turbo, get used to it, or turn up the radio. I liked the car but this is unacceptable. I need to get rid of this car. I can't believe that any car manufacturer would approve this situation.

Everything I wanted and More
By AX5 on 08/03/10 11:11 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

The X5 is a great Sport Activity Vehicle. It is a bit on the expensive side compared to Ford, Chevy and other big named SUV manufacturers, but they aren't as thrilling to drive as the X5. Performance is spot on, like many other BMW's, and the new Twin-Scroll Turbo provides even more thrills. Coming from a 335xi (Twin Turbo) the X5 provides the same excitement during driving that the 335 did. Also the interior space is massive, and provides enough comfort for me and my occasional passengers. I do not regret this purchase.

Excellent SUV
By jay on 07/23/10 11:14 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I just bought a 2011 BMW X5 35i Premium. Love the acceleration and the fuel economy. Being 8 speed also makes it very smooth. I-drive is great and so is the panoramic roof.

Wow What a vehicle
By guido on 07/20/10 17:01 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Took delivery of my 5.0 with the M package and let me tell you it's a beast. Disregard the 5.3 0 - 60 time, in manual mode it's faster. What a dream to drive, as comfortable as a 750. And the best part is the lease payments are low because the residual is 62% (36 months) Get one, you won't be disappointed

Like it so far
By Dr. G on 07/12/10 18:40 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Test drove both the premium and diesel versions. Diesel felt heavy and did not have the quickness the premium X5 had. Overall, ride is firm, handles well, and gas mileage early on is not bad, about 17 mpg in city driving. Like the punch the turbo delivers when you press the accelerator. Had some issues with the power windows but since have corrected. I-drive is fairly easy to use and like the fact that you can store music. Power liftgate is a nice option. Plenty of other good suvs out there but this one is one of the best inside and out.

X5 50i
By RN on 07/06/10 19:24 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

The twin-turbo 400 hp V8 in the 50i performs very well, providing plenty of power and torque, yet I am getting 18.5 mpg with a 50:50 mix of highway and city. The X5 feels almost as quick as my 2008 550i I turned in (end of lease) for the X5. Very quiet ride, 19" run flats make very little road noise and the upgraded stereo is incredible. Handling is excellent, and steering and brakes are very responsive.

BMW with Diesel
By JF on 06/27/10 08:16 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

It's very powerful when starting to move, and also is very smooth. Fuel economy is about 22~24 mpg on average so far. Excellent on-road performance and handling, with comfortable seating for the driver and rear passengers. This SUV is what we expected.

2011 X5 35i
By dhk on 06/21/10 18:32 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Traded in my 2005 Porsche Cayenne s for new x5 35i. Test drove x5 35d but felt the gas version was more refined and still got decent mileage, though the diesel had great torque. It is very smooth and ride quality is great. Firm ride and it's very luxurious. Cayenne had much better handling, cornering and shorter turning circle. New 8 speed automatic transmission is very smooth but doesn't really downshift like my Infiniti and Porsche.

The only luxury SUV
By HCJ3 on 05/27/10 18:39 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

It is very smooth. It handles very well. The new, twin turbo, fuel injected engine & new eight speed automatic transmission is unreal. Fuel economy is much improved. The new 300 horsepower engine is as smooth as glass in delivering great performance. The handling is just excellent. The comfort access system is a winner. I will never have another SUV without this capability. The run-flat tires are the best! This is the ultimate driving machine in an SUV!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 BMW X5 Suv in VA is:

$147 per month*