Used 2011 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Fantastic Car So Far
By iowabp

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I purchased this vehicle in November 2010 after a six month new car search. I previously owned a 2003 Nissan XTerra and was searching for a vehicle that provided the space I was used to, as well as a feeling of comfort and fun. I'm still surprised by how much I have enjoyed this BMW. The SUV is fun to drive and has all the bells and whistles you could ask for. I'm constantly finding new things that make life easier. From sending Google Maps directions directly to my Navigation to the impressive music hard drive, it's just an easy vehicle to love.

First, the engine. When I hit the gas this car GOES. Challenging position on the interstate and you need to get around someone? Hit the gas and you're past them in a flash. I test drove the Cayenne which has a bit more pickup, but the BMW handles itself darn well. The iDrive takes a day or two to get used to, but overall it works very well. The voice dialing is a breeze if you have a bluetooth phone - no "pre-recording" required. I love the interior as well. Due to the run-flat tires there is "hidden" space in the rear made available by the lack of a spare tire. Great place to store loose items.

First, the music organization of the music hard drive is a bit limiting. I would add a couple of options (such as re-naming songs or consolidating folders/cds) to make it easier., But this is a nit. You quickly get used to how it's laid out and adjust. For all I know, there is a way to do this and I just haven't figured it out yet. Also, the trunk size requires some inventiveness for transporting your golf clubs. Nothing awe-inspiring, but it takes some diagonal inserting or folding the back seat down. Again, just a nit.

BMW are terrible especially if buying from Peoria
By terrible

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Very expensive to maintain, especially if you buy it from Peoria, il. Cheaters. They'll stab you as they did it on me. Bmw looks good but, it's not worth it, trust me, that was my second x5. I will never buy it again. It was 2011 and now we are in Feb. 2011 and I sold it finally. Hate bmw and hate bmw Peoria , illinois.

nothing.

be nice to your clients and not like tim Leaman in Peoria, il. BMW.

NOT PERFECT BUT GOOD
By jasunlaw

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Build quality and driving experience are top notch. Here are my issues; (i) because it handles so well, it is not that great in the snow; (ii) it is vault tight but there quite a few rattles in the back which started after 5000 miles; (iii) there could have been a bigger cargo area-my corvette has almost as much room; (iv) very sensitive check engine light warning system and not all deales know how to fix it-one dealer said my car need a full day of re-programming... a second simply reset it minutes after I arrived for service. Do not open gas cap while engine is running.

Handling (for such a heavy vehicle), acceleration and gas mileage. I like the i-drive and do not know why everbody complains about it. Navigation is the best I have experienced. I also like the stiff steering and tight suspension.

You have to spend a lot of money to get a homelink system which this should be standard. I hate the location of the door lock button and many of the steering column controls are counter-intuitive. Back-up camera should be standard because rear visibility is limited.

Buyer Beware
By njbmw1

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Bought a X5 5.0 and it has been a disaster. Car has gone down (literally wouldn't start or drive) 3 times in under the first 7,000 miles. First time it was the battery/alternator. Second time it was an engine coil and now they claim my spark plugs went bad. This is not to mention a defective DVD player that had to be replaced. Also, one thing your salesperson won't tell you but every service guy knows right away is that Verizon Blackberrys do not work with the Idrive system. The Idrive will go down about every two months. You then have to unpair your phone, take the battery out and reset up the phone. They should tell people this before they buy the cars but they don't.

Engine is amazing when it works. I do think that the new 5.0 engines have some serious bugs in them though. See the first part of my review. You can't make this stuff up. Car is a disaster. I suggest waiting a year or two until the get the kinks out and also figure out how to get the idrive to work with a Verizon Blackberry. Classic how the salespeople never tell you that but every service guy knows it without even checking.

Idrive that works with Verizon Blackberrys. Like other people have commented is that it is a VERY stiff car. Also, there is no spare tire. I was shocked to learn this. Can you imagine being on a trip on a Sunday and getting a flat. You get 50 miles on run flats. You have zero chance on a Sunday of getting another tire. You will be sitting in a Holiday Inn on the side of the road waiting for Monday.

New improved bmw x5
By mike sab

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Vehicle has plenty of power and handles very well. My only two complaints are steering is a little stiff in parking lots and I having a resonating noise out of the exhaust between gears 1-3. My two previous BMWs did not have those issues.

turbo power, updated nav, wheels, interior looks like a million bucks.

60k vehicles should not resonate and make a rattling noise out of the muffler.