Used 2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 BMW X5 Diesel - Consumer Reviews

xDrive35d 3.0L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel AWD 6-speed Automatic - (21 reviews )

Great Car -- Highly Recommended after 1 Year Use
By rpg1410

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Traded in a 2008 535 - needed something bigger for 2 kids. After driving all the midsize SUVs, I narrowed it down to the Audi Q7 diesel and the BMW X5d. Preference for diesel due to mileage. Ended up with a better deal on the X5d. I couldn't be happier with the car. Of the midsize SUVs I drove, the X5 comes closest to giving car handling. The road feel is spot on. Interior design is great and now after having the car since Nov.2011, all components are still working well. Diesel has great responsiveness, of course not as peppy as 535 I traded, but very respectable. Mileage avg 21.7 Enjoying the Sport Package. Got stock radio and it's fine, not same as 535 premium sound but fine.

Handling is great. Mileage is averaging 21.7. I'm 50/50 in town vs. hwy. On the highway I get 30 miles or so, which means fewer stops at the gas station. Diesel has not been hard to find in Cent FL. Navigation is pretty good, but of course it's hard to compete w/ iPhone. Nevertheless, I've found it to be very helpful. Fit and Finish now almost a year later is great. Dealer (Fields BMW in Orlando) is great. Bought both BMW elsewhere, but serving at Fields and they are the best of the luxury car service groups I've dealt with. It helps that everything is under warranty. Sport Package is great. Also like the Rear Warm Weather package -- tinting/window shades + independent AC for kids.

Navigation could be better but it's not bad. There really aren't many I can think of -- I'm very pleased with the car. This is my third BMW (2001 525; 2008 535; 2011 X5d) separated with a very long 39 month lease with a horrible Land Rover LR3. I may be a BMW lifer -- I'm very pleased (at least as long as there's a warranty).

Flawless, FUN vehicle.
By wittyj

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Have owned the vehicle for six month, with about 6000 miles driven. It is flawless. Mileage in town is 23 to 25. Hiway mileage is 28 to 30. Got the multifuntion seats and they are the most comfortable seat in any car I have ever driven. I-drive is a bit too complicated but not that difficult to use after a while. My question is why? We took delivery at the Performance Center in Spartanburg SC. That is quite an experience. It was so enjoyable we went back for a second time. It is an extreme confidence builder to drive your and all the other BMW models at max performance. You will not drive like that on the "streets" but should you have to you know the vehicle is totally capable. BUY ONE!

The diesel engine and the "multifunction seats". They are awesome

Further simplification of the I-Drive would be a good thing. Why make the car and its operation so complicated? The driver would be safer with less to do and no technical distractions.

Buy one if you can afford it. (update)
By gregvdv

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I now have 3000 miles on my X5 and after 2 months of driving it gets better every time I climb in the perforated, multi contoured, air conditioned, heated, and massage chair seats. My only real complaint is the sound of the stereo. I upgraded for the premium sound but after having the Logic 7 stereo in my 650, this one sounds low grade. Most of the sound comes from the speaker on the dash board even though I've changed the sound settings over and over to try to get a more balance sound out of it. All other options and aspects of this vehicle have been outstanding so far. Even my 19 year old son likes driving it.

Seats, Seats, Seats. Did I mention the seats?

Put a better stereo in this vehicle. The Logic 7 thats in other BMWs would be perfect for the X5. Not sure why thats no an option.

Buy one if you can afford it.
By gregvdv

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

First off let me say that I'm comparing this vehicle againist my BMW 650i that I traded in for it. Plus my wifes BMW 535. It really is a great vehicle. Don't expect it to be or act like a sports car because it's not. Don't expect it to be an off road vehicle because it's not. It trully is a sports activity vehicle. It is fun to drive. It does have many comfort features. It does alot of things very well but it is in its own catagory. It has great performance but not as good as my 650 so I'm being picky. It is fun to drive but not as fun as my 650 or 535. I don't have any complaints about the X5 as a whole, just a few things stick out because I've been driving a BMW for almost 10 years now.

Perforated seats with massage. Comfort access. 25 mpg on average. More room than my last car (650). More area in the back for grocerys, stuff. Being able to copy songs on the hard drive for playback. Overall I love everything

The I Drive is being touted as a great improvement over the old one. It is faster but I would argue that it's easier to use. I liked the ease of my old one and knew what I was doing with it without looking. I can't imagine ever being that good with this one. The Navigation especailly is not easier to use than on my 2006 650. The Sirius radio won't tell me what song is playing if I'm listening to my presets. My 650 would. Back up camera/visual display is really grainy. I know I'm being very picky but these are the things that bother me so far. I'm sure I'll get used to it. I have 1700 miles on it already after 10 days of ownership.

Good Car, but not perfect!
By ezhang

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I purchased the X5 diesel in Dec 2010 and I have only put on 2500 miles so far. I took one month vacation overseas in Jan/Feb. When I came back, I was worried that the battery might be dead. To my surprise, it started like I just parked it overnight. I have gotten 25.8 mpg on 70/30 Hwy/City driving. It handles most road conditions well. We had some snow just yesterday and today in Seattle, I can feel that the car swins a little bit on the road (less than one inch accumulation), not as confident as other 4wd suvs. Luckily we don't have too many snow days here. The navigation is not very accurate. When I was driving on highway, it showed that I was on a road pararel to the hwy. When I get home ( rural setting), it showed that I am on my neighbour's road 200 ft off my home. Looks like the Germans are not as good as the Japanese in terms of electronics. Also, my second key lost its battery already and can not open or lock the car. It is on my to do list to bring it to the dealer.

Sun roof

Navigation system needs to be more accurate.