2011 BMW X5 Diesel - Consumer Reviews

xDrive35d 3.0L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel AWD 6-speed Automatic - (20 reviews )
Vroom diesel (update)
By chuck1969 on 09/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Ok. So this is an update so see the other first if you have not. The door panel is squeaking after 1500 miles. I have an appointment with BMW on Wednesday. I still dislike the iDrive. I can put in Nav Directions at 100 MPH if I wanted to but, the seat belt nanny beeps constantly if I take my belt off to get better range of motion to see to park at 2 MPH or less. Not only that the screen that is supposed to help me is now blocked by the fasten seat belt warning giving me no sight at the front of the X5. I haven't figured out how to turn of the screen if I want to still and I don't consider myself technology challenged. Also I hate the automatic wipers. see below.

Vroom Diesel
By chuck1969 on 08/27/10 01:50 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

We traded an 2009 ML 320 Bluetec on this one. I miss the better visors in the Mercedes and the easier Command system versus the Idrive. And this is the most updated version of iDrive? I miss the keypad to make calls and change stations on the MB. But now for the good part BMW is head and shoulders above the MB in terms of performance, and It is rated better in the MPG dept. I love the panoramic roof. I like knowing that i wont have to wonder what my service is gonna cost me for 4 more years its ZERO out of pocket. If you are looking at either one, trust me its the BMW that you want. Not that the MB is all bad mind you its just not as surefooted like the BMW when you push it.

So far so great!
By cbr on 08/10/10 09:07 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

The car is beautiful to look at and a delight to drive. The fit and finish are excellent. There are a lot of features and a lot to learn. If all continues to work year after year as now, then this is as close to an ideal as I have come. Time will tell.

Fast, economic, luxurious, but...
By Polren on 08/09/10 13:29 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Great vehicle overall, with really nice handling (xDrive), good braking, comfortable. The third row seats are for small children or for short distance, pretty much anybody.

For show NOT off road
By sokunroath on 07/29/10 19:55 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

PRO: Great Saving by order through manufacture and took 4 weeks to get the wagon Xdrive 35i. MSRP $61,925, bought for $56,250. Luxury richness is there. CON: Nav & temp systems are rather difficult to navigate. Rear camera noise would not turn when need it to be off.

X5 Diesel is a great car!
By BuMo68 on 07/26/10 12:24 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I also own an ML320 diesel (My wife drives the ML and I drive the X5) and although the ride of the X5 is not as smooth, the X5 is better handling, faster, and better fuel mileage (Averaging 24mpg in the first 1800 miles). I have only had the car for about 1 month, but it is a great car. I read reviews that the ride was rough, and the seats we not comfortable, but I do not find those true. The X5 rides great, and the seats are very comfortable. I do have the multi contour seats and you can adjust them in so many ways. My wife wants to trade cars now.

Very nice
By Spring on 07/19/10 09:43 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Very good performance, handling and acceleration, diesel provides a lot of torque and you don't feel as much lag as you do on a 5 series. Needed something sporty that I could take the family too, this car makes the trick. Finish is top level.

2011 improved more than just engines
By JJ on 06/14/10 15:21 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I traded directly from a 2009 X5 35d (built in July 2009) to a 2011 35d (built in May 2010) and noted significant differences even though the diesel engine and transmission are unchanged. The vehicle is quieter. Road/engine/exhaust noise are less intrusive into the cabin and the suspension is more supple. Highway ride is more composed. The media joke that most of the 2011's 4,000 new parts must be in the engines, but clearly more than the drive train and bumper styling have changed. This X5 feels like a luxury SUV now. The gravelly sound of the diesel engine is just a distant murmur except on hard acceleration, which is to be expected from BMW.

X5 35d
By Cpaman13 on 06/07/10 16:23 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

This is an early review as have not even made it through the break-in period. The car handles like a dream. I did not get the sports package. The car is capable of taking corners faster than I feel comfortable taking them. The Diesel knock is noticeable during initial acceleration but once up to speed you really have to listen for it. The noisiest part of cruising is the tire wine. I-drive is a breeze to use.

2011 refinements perfect the X5
By 7th X5 on 06/05/10 14:19 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Just took delivery of my 7th X5 after trading a 2009 35d for a 2011 35d. I loved the 2009 diesel, but road, exhaust, and engine noise were a little too intrusive. BMW refined the 2011 to reduce the "bad" noises while keeping "good" noise like the sporty grumble during acceleration. The suspension also seems to have been improved. It's subtle and the X5 is certainly not Lexus quiet, but I immediately noticed the difference: a more refined luxury feel. Press releases talk about new styling and engines, but not the improved suspension and noise reduction. That's a shame because those improvements address the only significant flaw in my previous X5. Good job BMW, you were listening.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 BMW X5 Diesel in VA is:

$147 per month*