2011 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
Great car, Poor service. Cannot get them to do an oil change
By bodomo on 05/13/11 19:09 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This is an update on my previous review titled so far so good. Actually not so good anymore. I currently have 15500 and BMW still refuses to do an oil change. I called for my first oil change at 10000 miles and made an appointment for an oil change and some minor work. After a couple of hours, I get the news that my car does NOT need an oil change, I have to come back at 15000 miles. Crap, why waste my time for this? So recently I made another appointment for an oil change at 15000 and again after another couple of hours of waiting they tell me that again they will not do an oil change because in oil is in good shape and I need to come back in another 5000 miles. This is not worth my time.

Buy one if you can afford it. (update)
By gregvdv on 05/11/11 08:05 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I now have 3000 miles on my X5 and after 2 months of driving it gets better every time I climb in the perforated, multi contoured, air conditioned, heated, and massage chair seats. My only real complaint is the sound of the stereo. I upgraded for the premium sound but after having the Logic 7 stereo in my 650, this one sounds low grade. Most of the sound comes from the speaker on the dash board even though I've changed the sound settings over and over to try to get a more balance sound out of it. All other options and aspects of this vehicle have been outstanding so far. Even my 19 year old son likes driving it.

Fantastic Car So Far
By iowabp on 05/07/11 17:18 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I purchased this vehicle in November 2010 after a six month new car search. I previously owned a 2003 Nissan XTerra and was searching for a vehicle that provided the space I was used to, as well as a feeling of comfort and fun. I'm still surprised by how much I have enjoyed this BMW. The SUV is fun to drive and has all the bells and whistles you could ask for. I'm constantly finding new things that make life easier. From sending Google Maps directions directly to my Navigation to the impressive music hard drive, it's just an easy vehicle to love.

Buy one if you can afford it.
By gregvdv on 04/18/11 11:51 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

First off let me say that I'm comparing this vehicle againist my BMW 650i that I traded in for it. Plus my wifes BMW 535. It really is a great vehicle. Don't expect it to be or act like a sports car because it's not. Don't expect it to be an off road vehicle because it's not. It trully is a sports activity vehicle. It is fun to drive. It does have many comfort features. It does alot of things very well but it is in its own catagory. It has great performance but not as good as my 650 so I'm being picky. It is fun to drive but not as fun as my 650 or 535. I don't have any complaints about the X5 as a whole, just a few things stick out because I've been driving a BMW for almost 10 years now.

BMW are terrible especially if buying from Peoria
By terrible on 02/25/11 11:18 AM (PST)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Very expensive to maintain, especially if you buy it from Peoria, il. Cheaters. They'll stab you as they did it on me. Bmw looks good but, it's not worth it, trust me, that was my second x5. I will never buy it again. It was 2011 and now we are in Feb. 2011 and I sold it finally. Hate bmw and hate bmw Peoria , illinois.

Good Car, but not perfect!
By ezhang on 02/24/11 22:37 PM (PST)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I purchased the X5 diesel in Dec 2010 and I have only put on 2500 miles so far. I took one month vacation overseas in Jan/Feb. When I came back, I was worried that the battery might be dead. To my surprise, it started like I just parked it overnight. I have gotten 25.8 mpg on 70/30 Hwy/City driving. It handles most road conditions well. We had some snow just yesterday and today in Seattle, I can feel that the car swins a little bit on the road (less than one inch accumulation), not as confident as other 4wd suvs. Luckily we don't have too many snow days here. The navigation is not very accurate. When I was driving on highway, it showed that I was on a road pararel to the hwy. When I get home ( rural setting), it showed that I am on my neighbour's road 200 ft off my home. Looks like the Germans are not as good as the Japanese in terms of electronics. Also, my second key lost its battery already and can not open or lock the car. It is on my to do list to bring it to the dealer.

NOT PERFECT BUT GOOD
By jasunlaw on 02/16/11 15:40 PM (PST)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Build quality and driving experience are top notch. Here are my issues; (i) because it handles so well, it is not that great in the snow; (ii) it is vault tight but there quite a few rattles in the back which started after 5000 miles; (iii) there could have been a bigger cargo area-my corvette has almost as much room; (iv) very sensitive check engine light warning system and not all deales know how to fix it-one dealer said my car need a full day of re-programming... a second simply reset it minutes after I arrived for service. Do not open gas cap while engine is running.

Buyer Beware
By njbmw1 on 01/13/11 19:07 PM (PST)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Bought a X5 5.0 and it has been a disaster. Car has gone down (literally wouldn't start or drive) 3 times in under the first 7,000 miles. First time it was the battery/alternator. Second time it was an engine coil and now they claim my spark plugs went bad. This is not to mention a defective DVD player that had to be replaced. Also, one thing your salesperson won't tell you but every service guy knows right away is that Verizon Blackberrys do not work with the Idrive system. The Idrive will go down about every two months. You then have to unpair your phone, take the battery out and reset up the phone. They should tell people this before they buy the cars but they don't.

New improved bmw x5
By mike sab on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Vehicle has plenty of power and handles very well. My only two complaints are steering is a little stiff in parking lots and I having a resonating noise out of the exhaust between gears 1-3. My two previous BMWs did not have those issues.

Update on my Original Review
By AX5 on 11/26/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I still think the X5 and all BMW's are a blast to drive, but I'm starting to have the High Pressure Fuel Pump issues. It takes longer to start up (anywhere from 4-5 seconds) and I'm starting to see re-occurring error codes whenever I hook up my diagnostic system. BMW went public on there HPFP issue, but only for 2007- 2010 model years. They need to include 2011 models in their recall, as my X5 and several other 2011 model year cars are having HPFP issues

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 BMW X5 in WA is:

$191 per month*