Used 2011 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Bmw X5 - Consumer Reviews

2011 BMW X5

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Beautiful vehicle, but still has flaws
By _pj

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

The X5 is beautiful, but not flawless. The navigation sucks and doesn't even give correct directions. There was no dvd included to update it. I've read elsewhere the dealer charges alot for a new one. The ride is firm. The seat bottoms on the active ventilated seats are hard, flat, and unsupportive. They quickly become uncomfortable. I had to buy a seat cushion to make them bearable. The driver's seat puts out alot of heat from underneath and behind. The transmission on the diesel isn't always smooth starting out. Now that I have close to 6,000 miles on the vehicle, it sounds like the diesel is getting louder. The worst thing of all, was the way we were treated at the first BMW dealership.

Favorite Features

Beautiful vehicle, I love the sparkling brown metallic color, power liftgate, running boards, panoramic sunroof, powerful engine, good gas mileage, headrest, cool headlights, rearview camera

Suggested Improvements

Update the Navigation System Free!, Smoother acceleration, More cushy ride and SEATS, Backseats that fold completely flat, Allow the customer to choose whether they want run-flats or regular tires, Smaller diameter steering wheel with more range of motion, Longer sun visors, factory installed trailer hitch, Teach your salespeople some humility (I didn't enjoy the salesman at BMW Albuquerque acting like we were beneath his status, then he had the gall to come out and lecture us afterwards for deciding to not buy the vehicle from him and wasting his time)

Great Car -- Highly Recommended after 1 Year Use
By rpg1410

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Traded in a 2008 535 - needed something bigger for 2 kids. After driving all the midsize SUVs, I narrowed it down to the Audi Q7 diesel and the BMW X5d. Preference for diesel due to mileage. Ended up with a better deal on the X5d. I couldn't be happier with the car. Of the midsize SUVs I drove, the X5 comes closest to giving car handling. The road feel is spot on. Interior design is great and now after having the car since Nov.2011, all components are still working well. Diesel has great responsiveness, of course not as peppy as 535 I traded, but very respectable. Mileage avg 21.7 Enjoying the Sport Package. Got stock radio and it's fine, not same as 535 premium sound but fine.

Favorite Features

Handling is great. Mileage is averaging 21.7. I'm 50/50 in town vs. hwy. On the highway I get 30 miles or so, which means fewer stops at the gas station. Diesel has not been hard to find in Cent FL. Navigation is pretty good, but of course it's hard to compete w/ iPhone. Nevertheless, I've found it to be very helpful. Fit and Finish now almost a year later is great. Dealer (Fields BMW in Orlando) is great. Bought both BMW elsewhere, but serving at Fields and they are the best of the luxury car service groups I've dealt with. It helps that everything is under warranty. Sport Package is great. Also like the Rear Warm Weather package -- tinting/window shades + independent AC for kids.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation could be better but it's not bad. There really aren't many I can think of -- I'm very pleased with the car. This is my third BMW (2001 525; 2008 535; 2011 X5d) separated with a very long 39 month lease with a horrible Land Rover LR3. I may be a BMW lifer -- I'm very pleased (at least as long as there's a warranty).

2011 BMW x5-35i need further work
By ikalajmi

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have recently purchased the new 2011 X5-35i and So Far So Good. I was previously driving a 2010 lexus RX 350. Bought this X5 after much research comparing it with 2010 RX350 and 2011 VW Touareg

Favorite Features

I like the exterior and the interior looking of the car. In general X5 has a Great Torque, quality and great handling with the new turbo engine. Great back-up camera that shows actual image of vehicle from above and in the rear. Love the acceleration, the fuel economy and the sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

I have some complaints about the X5-35i. 1- Air condition is not powerful during midday. Car suspension and seats are stiff and very expensive to maintain. Although the 8-speed automatic transmission is smooth but, lower engine acceleration for city driving is still noisy not like Lexus cars. Seat belt beeps constantly if I take my belt off for long time which makes me nervous even I lower the sound volume. There is no engine temperature indicator. Radio manipulating is not friendly as it should be. BMW must work harder like Lexus. I am sorry but if you went my honest advice buy Lexus car you will be very happy.

Flawless, FUN vehicle.
By wittyj

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Have owned the vehicle for six month, with about 6000 miles driven. It is flawless. Mileage in town is 23 to 25. Hiway mileage is 28 to 30. Got the multifuntion seats and they are the most comfortable seat in any car I have ever driven. I-drive is a bit too complicated but not that difficult to use after a while. My question is why? We took delivery at the Performance Center in Spartanburg SC. That is quite an experience. It was so enjoyable we went back for a second time. It is an extreme confidence builder to drive your and all the other BMW models at max performance. You will not drive like that on the "streets" but should you have to you know the vehicle is totally capable. BUY ONE!

Favorite Features

The diesel engine and the "multifunction seats". They are awesome

Suggested Improvements

Further simplification of the I-Drive would be a good thing. Why make the car and its operation so complicated? The driver would be safer with less to do and no technical distractions.

My 3rd X5 SAV
By dborlando1

2011 BMW X5 xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

(Previously leased a 2003 X5 and 2008 X5 4.8i). By far, this is my favorite X5, except for the inferior premium sound system compared to my 2008 X5. Improved NAV system, but takes getting used to. Cargo space is decent. Fuel economy at 13.5 MPG average is unacceptable. Although the 8-speed automatic transmission is smooth, lower engine acceleration for city driving is annoying sluggish. Great back-up camera that shows actual image of vehicle from above and in the rear.

Favorite Features

(1) 8-Speed Automatic, (2) Interior and Exterior Design, (3) Driver and Passenger seat comfort, (4) No 3rd-row seat option makes for extra cargo bin in spare tire well (5) Quiet interior (6) Optional Head-up display (7) Great handling (8) Improved A/C (9) Improved I-Drive controls (10) X-tra large moon roof

Suggested Improvements

(1) Poor gas mileage only 13.5 MPG average (with 19" wheels). (2) Hate the run-flats. (3) choppy and stiff ride around city (4) Premium sound system is inferior to 2008 X5 Premium sound system (5) 19" rims are ugly (6) Very awkward placement for iPhone