2011 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
My 3rd X5
By dborlando1 on 11/06/12 05:05 AM (PST)

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

(Previously leased 2003 4.4 and 2008 4.8 X5 models). By far, this 50i model is my favorite X5. Improved satellite navigation system lets you speak the entire destination at once, instead of bit-by-bit, and is usually accurate. Sound system has both an equalizer and surround sound. Excellent back-up camera that shows not only the rear view, but also view from above, which is great for back-in and parallel parking. 8-speed automatic is noticeably smoother than the earlier X5's 6-speeds transmissions. Fuel economy is slightly better than the earlier X5's (averaging 13.5 to 15.0 MPG). The 19" tires help. The '03 and '08 X5's both had 20" tires (and were more expensive to replace).

My 3rd X5 SAV
By dborlando1 on 05/23/11 14:30 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

(Previously leased a 2003 X5 and 2008 X5 4.8i). By far, this is my favorite X5, except for the inferior premium sound system compared to my 2008 X5. Improved NAV system, but takes getting used to. Cargo space is decent. Fuel economy at 13.5 MPG average is unacceptable. Although the 8-speed automatic transmission is smooth, lower engine acceleration for city driving is annoying sluggish. Great back-up camera that shows actual image of vehicle from above and in the rear.

Buyer Beware
By njbmw1 on 01/13/11 19:07 PM (PST)

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Bought a X5 5.0 and it has been a disaster. Car has gone down (literally wouldn't start or drive) 3 times in under the first 7,000 miles. First time it was the battery/alternator. Second time it was an engine coil and now they claim my spark plugs went bad. This is not to mention a defective DVD player that had to be replaced. Also, one thing your salesperson won't tell you but every service guy knows right away is that Verizon Blackberrys do not work with the Idrive system. The Idrive will go down about every two months. You then have to unpair your phone, take the battery out and reset up the phone. They should tell people this before they buy the cars but they don't.

Love it!
By Shane on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Love it love it love it! I bought it with the M sport package, what a difference in looks and sound!

X5 50i 9K mile whine update
By x5 on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

My X5 50i is now 4 months old, has 9,000 miles and still whines at around 2,000 rpm, badly enough to embarrass a Lada driver. Apparently BMW is OK with that. However, if you complain enough you will discover that this problem is common to the X5 50i and the 750i which both have the same power train. Apparently BMW has now determined that the cause is a defective engine oil pump. The repair requires removing the front differential and axles, the front subframe, lifting the engine and removing 2 oil pans in order to replace the pump. This is documented on the Bimmerfest website, so I was not alone with this problem. Now, do I trust my Dealership to do this without screwing up my car?

Whinny noise
By jerman on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

As with a prior review, my 2011 X5 5.0 also makes a whinny noise akin to a golf cart when engine is hot and when upshifting from 1st to 3rd gears. Getting worse as mileage adds up. 2x to the dealership and nothing can be done as it is the alternator? Give me my 2007 4.8 back please. Heard the 2011 7 series is also having this problem. Not acceptable for 75k cars

X5 50is
By mm-etech on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Great car. Spacious interior and roomy. Drives great. Excellent handling and very quite despite sports package and large 315 20” tires. Lots of power and torque; one of the fastest SUVs you can get. Good gas millage for 5300+ lb vehicle (depending on driving style). On long trip we averaged 20-21 MPG fully loaded with 5 adults.

It's a keeper!
By tinfoil on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I've had a X5 4.4 for little over ten years (one of the very first). It still looks and drives like brand new at 7ok, so I didn't want to sell it to a stranger who wouldn't appreciate its condition and gave it to my daughter. I replaced it with a 5.0 which I feel I'll be happy with for another ten years or so. Performance is great, ride is firm with the M sport package and 20" wheels, but that's how I like it. Build quality is excellent.Transmission is smooth and fun in manual mode, though with eight gears you can't take your hand off the shift knob, you're constantly busy. It is very forgiving though if you get lazy, as it has lots of torque almost regardless of the gear you are in.

X5 50i Very Disappointing
By x5 on 08/11/10 12:28 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I now have about 3000 miles on my 2011 X5 50i. I had high expectations for a vehicle that I paid almost $80K for. However, there is a persistent and annoying engine whine at slower speeds in the lower gears. It increases and decreases with engine speed and can be reproduced at about 2000 rpm while stationary and in neutral. I think that it could be the clutch in the alternator. However, two Dealerships have told me that it's normal for the 4.4 twin turbo, get used to it, or turn up the radio. I liked the car but this is unacceptable. I need to get rid of this car. I can't believe that any car manufacturer would approve this situation.

Wow What a vehicle
By guido on 07/20/10 17:01 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Took delivery of my 5.0 with the M package and let me tell you it's a beast. Disregard the 5.3 0 - 60 time, in manual mode it's faster. What a dream to drive, as comfortable as a 750. And the best part is the lease payments are low because the residual is 62% (36 months) Get one, you won't be disappointed

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 BMW X5 Suv in VA is:

$150 per month*