Used 2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Bye Bye X5
By rakundig

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Bought my X5, custom built, in 2010, delivered Aug 2010. I put just about every option into it except that suspension option. I don't plan to offroad in my BMW so I didn't see the point. Sales experience was horrible. Performance is sub-par. It suffers from horrible performance below 50 mph. Hesitation off the line and if you give it gas to accelerate it waits for about a second before kicking you in the shorts. I assume this is because it is in 6th gear at 40mph. After a 1.5 years of driving it I have had enough. It has nice polish but the engine/tranny is junk. Just traded it for a Volvo which isn't as polished but actually goes when I give it gas.

Favorite Features

comfort access Heads Up Display

Suggested Improvements

replace the HPFP, engine, tranny. the performance is just insulting. It is supposed to be a high end luxury car and it is sluggish and slow, unless you stay in "sport" mode all the time. Mileage is atrocious.

Great car, Poor service. Cannot get them to do an oil change
By bodomo

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This is an update on my previous review titled so far so good. Actually not so good anymore. I currently have 15500 and BMW still refuses to do an oil change. I called for my first oil change at 10000 miles and made an appointment for an oil change and some minor work. After a couple of hours, I get the news that my car does NOT need an oil change, I have to come back at 15000 miles. Crap, why waste my time for this? So recently I made another appointment for an oil change at 15000 and again after another couple of hours of waiting they tell me that again they will not do an oil change because in oil is in good shape and I need to come back in another 5000 miles. This is not worth my time.

Favorite Features

Car

Suggested Improvements

Don't advertise free maintenance if you are not going to do any.

Fantastic Car So Far
By iowabp

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I purchased this vehicle in November 2010 after a six month new car search. I previously owned a 2003 Nissan XTerra and was searching for a vehicle that provided the space I was used to, as well as a feeling of comfort and fun. I'm still surprised by how much I have enjoyed this BMW. The SUV is fun to drive and has all the bells and whistles you could ask for. I'm constantly finding new things that make life easier. From sending Google Maps directions directly to my Navigation to the impressive music hard drive, it's just an easy vehicle to love.

Favorite Features

First, the engine. When I hit the gas this car GOES. Challenging position on the interstate and you need to get around someone? Hit the gas and you're past them in a flash. I test drove the Cayenne which has a bit more pickup, but the BMW handles itself darn well. The iDrive takes a day or two to get used to, but overall it works very well. The voice dialing is a breeze if you have a bluetooth phone - no "pre-recording" required. I love the interior as well. Due to the run-flat tires there is "hidden" space in the rear made available by the lack of a spare tire. Great place to store loose items.

Suggested Improvements

First, the music organization of the music hard drive is a bit limiting. I would add a couple of options (such as re-naming songs or consolidating folders/cds) to make it easier., But this is a nit. You quickly get used to how it's laid out and adjust. For all I know, there is a way to do this and I just haven't figured it out yet. Also, the trunk size requires some inventiveness for transporting your golf clubs. Nothing awe-inspiring, but it takes some diagonal inserting or folding the back seat down. Again, just a nit.

NOT PERFECT BUT GOOD
By jasunlaw

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Build quality and driving experience are top notch. Here are my issues; (i) because it handles so well, it is not that great in the snow; (ii) it is vault tight but there quite a few rattles in the back which started after 5000 miles; (iii) there could have been a bigger cargo area-my corvette has almost as much room; (iv) very sensitive check engine light warning system and not all deales know how to fix it-one dealer said my car need a full day of re-programming... a second simply reset it minutes after I arrived for service. Do not open gas cap while engine is running.

Favorite Features

Handling (for such a heavy vehicle), acceleration and gas mileage. I like the i-drive and do not know why everbody complains about it. Navigation is the best I have experienced. I also like the stiff steering and tight suspension.

Suggested Improvements

You have to spend a lot of money to get a homelink system which this should be standard. I hate the location of the door lock button and many of the steering column controls are counter-intuitive. Back-up camera should be standard because rear visibility is limited.

New improved bmw x5
By mike sab

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Vehicle has plenty of power and handles very well. My only two complaints are steering is a little stiff in parking lots and I having a resonating noise out of the exhaust between gears 1-3. My two previous BMWs did not have those issues.

Favorite Features

turbo power, updated nav, wheels, interior looks like a million bucks.

Suggested Improvements

60k vehicles should not resonate and make a rattling noise out of the muffler.