2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

My 3rd X5
By dborlando1

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

(Previously leased 2003 4.4 and 2008 4.8 X5 models). By far, this 50i model is my favorite X5. Improved satellite navigation system lets you speak the entire destination at once, instead of bit-by-bit, and is usually accurate. Sound system has both an equalizer and surround sound. Excellent back-up camera that shows not only the rear view, but also view from above, which is great for back-in and parallel parking. 8-speed automatic is noticeably smoother than the earlier X5's 6-speeds transmissions. Fuel economy is slightly better than the earlier X5's (averaging 13.5 to 15.0 MPG). The 19" tires help. The '03 and '08 X5's both had 20" tires (and were more expensive to replace).

Favorite Features

(1) 8-speed automatic (2) interior and exterior design (3) driver and passenger seat comfort (4) an extra and spacious cargo bin in spare tire well replaces optional 3rd-row seats (5) quiet interior (6) optional Head-up display (7) great handling (8) improved A/C (9) improved I-Drive (10) x-tra large moon roof (11) reliable (12) Auto Park (13) sound system (14) iPhone 3GS and 4S models work seamlessly with i-Drive technology. Top-rate BMW dealership in Winter Park, Florida.

Suggested Improvements

(1) fuel economy (2) run-flat tires (3) lots of expensive options (4) lots of expensive packages (5) lots of expensive accessories

Bye Bye X5
By rakundig

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Bought my X5, custom built, in 2010, delivered Aug 2010. I put just about every option into it except that suspension option. I don't plan to offroad in my BMW so I didn't see the point. Sales experience was horrible. Performance is sub-par. It suffers from horrible performance below 50 mph. Hesitation off the line and if you give it gas to accelerate it waits for about a second before kicking you in the shorts. I assume this is because it is in 6th gear at 40mph. After a 1.5 years of driving it I have had enough. It has nice polish but the engine/tranny is junk. Just traded it for a Volvo which isn't as polished but actually goes when I give it gas.

Favorite Features

comfort access Heads Up Display

Suggested Improvements

replace the HPFP, engine, tranny. the performance is just insulting. It is supposed to be a high end luxury car and it is sluggish and slow, unless you stay in "sport" mode all the time. Mileage is atrocious.

2011 BMW x5-35i need further work
By ikalajmi

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have recently purchased the new 2011 X5-35i and So Far So Good. I was previously driving a 2010 lexus RX 350. Bought this X5 after much research comparing it with 2010 RX350 and 2011 VW Touareg

Favorite Features

I like the exterior and the interior looking of the car. In general X5 has a Great Torque, quality and great handling with the new turbo engine. Great back-up camera that shows actual image of vehicle from above and in the rear. Love the acceleration, the fuel economy and the sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

I have some complaints about the X5-35i. 1- Air condition is not powerful during midday. Car suspension and seats are stiff and very expensive to maintain. Although the 8-speed automatic transmission is smooth but, lower engine acceleration for city driving is still noisy not like Lexus cars. Seat belt beeps constantly if I take my belt off for long time which makes me nervous even I lower the sound volume. There is no engine temperature indicator. Radio manipulating is not friendly as it should be. BMW must work harder like Lexus. I am sorry but if you went my honest advice buy Lexus car you will be very happy.

My 3rd X5 SAV
By dborlando1

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

(Previously leased a 2003 X5 and 2008 X5 4.8i). By far, this is my favorite X5, except for the inferior premium sound system compared to my 2008 X5. Improved NAV system, but takes getting used to. Cargo space is decent. Fuel economy at 13.5 MPG average is unacceptable. Although the 8-speed automatic transmission is smooth, lower engine acceleration for city driving is annoying sluggish. Great back-up camera that shows actual image of vehicle from above and in the rear.

Favorite Features

(1) 8-Speed Automatic, (2) Interior and Exterior Design, (3) Driver and Passenger seat comfort, (4) No 3rd-row seat option makes for extra cargo bin in spare tire well (5) Quiet interior (6) Optional Head-up display (7) Great handling (8) Improved A/C (9) Improved I-Drive controls (10) X-tra large moon roof

Suggested Improvements

(1) Poor gas mileage only 13.5 MPG average (with 19" wheels). (2) Hate the run-flats. (3) choppy and stiff ride around city (4) Premium sound system is inferior to 2008 X5 Premium sound system (5) 19" rims are ugly (6) Very awkward placement for iPhone

Great car, Poor service. Cannot get them to do an oil change
By bodomo

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This is an update on my previous review titled so far so good. Actually not so good anymore. I currently have 15500 and BMW still refuses to do an oil change. I called for my first oil change at 10000 miles and made an appointment for an oil change and some minor work. After a couple of hours, I get the news that my car does NOT need an oil change, I have to come back at 15000 miles. Crap, why waste my time for this? So recently I made another appointment for an oil change at 15000 and again after another couple of hours of waiting they tell me that again they will not do an oil change because in oil is in good shape and I need to come back in another 5000 miles. This is not worth my time.

Favorite Features

Car

Suggested Improvements

Don't advertise free maintenance if you are not going to do any.

Fantastic Car So Far
By iowabp

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I purchased this vehicle in November 2010 after a six month new car search. I previously owned a 2003 Nissan XTerra and was searching for a vehicle that provided the space I was used to, as well as a feeling of comfort and fun. I'm still surprised by how much I have enjoyed this BMW. The SUV is fun to drive and has all the bells and whistles you could ask for. I'm constantly finding new things that make life easier. From sending Google Maps directions directly to my Navigation to the impressive music hard drive, it's just an easy vehicle to love.

Favorite Features

First, the engine. When I hit the gas this car GOES. Challenging position on the interstate and you need to get around someone? Hit the gas and you're past them in a flash. I test drove the Cayenne which has a bit more pickup, but the BMW handles itself darn well. The iDrive takes a day or two to get used to, but overall it works very well. The voice dialing is a breeze if you have a bluetooth phone - no "pre-recording" required. I love the interior as well. Due to the run-flat tires there is "hidden" space in the rear made available by the lack of a spare tire. Great place to store loose items.

Suggested Improvements

First, the music organization of the music hard drive is a bit limiting. I would add a couple of options (such as re-naming songs or consolidating folders/cds) to make it easier., But this is a nit. You quickly get used to how it's laid out and adjust. For all I know, there is a way to do this and I just haven't figured it out yet. Also, the trunk size requires some inventiveness for transporting your golf clubs. Nothing awe-inspiring, but it takes some diagonal inserting or folding the back seat down. Again, just a nit.

BMW are terrible especially if buying from Peoria
By terrible

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Very expensive to maintain, especially if you buy it from Peoria, il. Cheaters. They'll stab you as they did it on me. Bmw looks good but, it's not worth it, trust me, that was my second x5. I will never buy it again. It was 2011 and now we are in Feb. 2011 and I sold it finally. Hate bmw and hate bmw Peoria , illinois.

Favorite Features

nothing.

Suggested Improvements

be nice to your clients and not like tim Leaman in Peoria, il. BMW.

NOT PERFECT BUT GOOD
By jasunlaw

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Build quality and driving experience are top notch. Here are my issues; (i) because it handles so well, it is not that great in the snow; (ii) it is vault tight but there quite a few rattles in the back which started after 5000 miles; (iii) there could have been a bigger cargo area-my corvette has almost as much room; (iv) very sensitive check engine light warning system and not all deales know how to fix it-one dealer said my car need a full day of re-programming... a second simply reset it minutes after I arrived for service. Do not open gas cap while engine is running.

Favorite Features

Handling (for such a heavy vehicle), acceleration and gas mileage. I like the i-drive and do not know why everbody complains about it. Navigation is the best I have experienced. I also like the stiff steering and tight suspension.

Suggested Improvements

You have to spend a lot of money to get a homelink system which this should be standard. I hate the location of the door lock button and many of the steering column controls are counter-intuitive. Back-up camera should be standard because rear visibility is limited.

Buyer Beware
By njbmw1

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Bought a X5 5.0 and it has been a disaster. Car has gone down (literally wouldn't start or drive) 3 times in under the first 7,000 miles. First time it was the battery/alternator. Second time it was an engine coil and now they claim my spark plugs went bad. This is not to mention a defective DVD player that had to be replaced. Also, one thing your salesperson won't tell you but every service guy knows right away is that Verizon Blackberrys do not work with the Idrive system. The Idrive will go down about every two months. You then have to unpair your phone, take the battery out and reset up the phone. They should tell people this before they buy the cars but they don't.

Favorite Features

Engine is amazing when it works. I do think that the new 5.0 engines have some serious bugs in them though. See the first part of my review. You can't make this stuff up. Car is a disaster. I suggest waiting a year or two until the get the kinks out and also figure out how to get the idrive to work with a Verizon Blackberry. Classic how the salespeople never tell you that but every service guy knows it without even checking.

Suggested Improvements

Idrive that works with Verizon Blackberrys. Like other people have commented is that it is a VERY stiff car. Also, there is no spare tire. I was shocked to learn this. Can you imagine being on a trip on a Sunday and getting a flat. You get 50 miles on run flats. You have zero chance on a Sunday of getting another tire. You will be sitting in a Holiday Inn on the side of the road waiting for Monday.

New improved bmw x5
By mike sab

2011 BMW X5 SUV xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Vehicle has plenty of power and handles very well. My only two complaints are steering is a little stiff in parking lots and I having a resonating noise out of the exhaust between gears 1-3. My two previous BMWs did not have those issues.

Favorite Features

turbo power, updated nav, wheels, interior looks like a million bucks.

Suggested Improvements

60k vehicles should not resonate and make a rattling noise out of the muffler.