2011 BMW X5 Diesel - Consumer Reviews

xDrive35d 3.0L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel AWD 6-speed Automatic - (20 reviews )
It just keeps getting better
By lessbs on 06/03/12 10:40 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I had the 2011 x5 diesel built to my specs and delivered in Sept 2010. I loaded it up with almost all accessories which, like all German cars, add considerably to the price of the car. I now have about 26,000 miles on it. The car drives as close to a BMW feel as is possible for an SUV and continues to improve as the computer learns how you drive it. I am tall (6'3") and it is one of the few cars that truly fits me. We drive the car regularly between Seattle and the San Francisco Bay area, and it is hard to imagine a better car for this use.

German engineering at its finest
By piredon on 05/03/12 07:02 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I have about 21,000 miles on the odometer and am mostly very pleased with the vehicle. Fuel mileage is frankly amazing for a 5200 lb SUV. Worst tank was 22mpg and best was nearly 28, overall average of 25mpg. It's fast enough for nearly any situation. It's a fantastic long-distance vehicle with a range of nearly 600 miles between fill ups, and grown-up back seat passengers have commented the rear is plenty comfortable. It also handles better than any other SUV I've driven. Complaints include some cheap plastic in certain places in the interior, an "upgraded" audio system that's just so so, some turbo lag off idle, turning radius is terrible, and you have to get used to the diesel noise.

It's a diesel? Yup
By dasdzl on 02/13/12 10:44 AM (PST)

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Got a 2011 left over that the dealer had for a while probably because of the color (sparkling bronze) but I kind of like it. I have almost 4000 miles on it now and have done 2 longish trips with it. I avg around 25 for urban driving and on the 2 longish trips have seen 31. Even with the ski box on i still see around 27 on the highway. I would have liked it it have the sport seats, but the standard seats seem to be fine although it has taken some time to get the right seating position for comfort and visibility. I very much enjoy the rear seat room for friends and the ability to have room for the dogs in the back. I did get a trailer hitch for it for the bikes. Kinda pricey though.

Beautiful vehicle, but still has flaws
By _pj on 09/22/11 05:20 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

The X5 is beautiful, but not flawless. The navigation sucks and doesn't even give correct directions. There was no dvd included to update it. I've read elsewhere the dealer charges alot for a new one. The ride is firm. The seat bottoms on the active ventilated seats are hard, flat, and unsupportive. They quickly become uncomfortable. I had to buy a seat cushion to make them bearable. The driver's seat puts out alot of heat from underneath and behind. The transmission on the diesel isn't always smooth starting out. Now that I have close to 6,000 miles on the vehicle, it sounds like the diesel is getting louder. The worst thing of all, was the way we were treated at the first BMW dealership.

Great Car -- Highly Recommended after 1 Year Use
By rpg1410 on 09/01/11 00:50 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Traded in a 2008 535 - needed something bigger for 2 kids. After driving all the midsize SUVs, I narrowed it down to the Audi Q7 diesel and the BMW X5d. Preference for diesel due to mileage. Ended up with a better deal on the X5d. I couldn't be happier with the car. Of the midsize SUVs I drove, the X5 comes closest to giving car handling. The road feel is spot on. Interior design is great and now after having the car since Nov.2011, all components are still working well. Diesel has great responsiveness, of course not as peppy as 535 I traded, but very respectable. Mileage avg 21.7 Enjoying the Sport Package. Got stock radio and it's fine, not same as 535 premium sound but fine.

Flawless, FUN vehicle.
By wittyj on 06/02/11 12:10 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Have owned the vehicle for six month, with about 6000 miles driven. It is flawless. Mileage in town is 23 to 25. Hiway mileage is 28 to 30. Got the multifuntion seats and they are the most comfortable seat in any car I have ever driven. I-drive is a bit too complicated but not that difficult to use after a while. My question is why? We took delivery at the Performance Center in Spartanburg SC. That is quite an experience. It was so enjoyable we went back for a second time. It is an extreme confidence builder to drive your and all the other BMW models at max performance. You will not drive like that on the "streets" but should you have to you know the vehicle is totally capable. BUY ONE!

Buy one if you can afford it. (update)
By gregvdv on 05/11/11 08:05 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I now have 3000 miles on my X5 and after 2 months of driving it gets better every time I climb in the perforated, multi contoured, air conditioned, heated, and massage chair seats. My only real complaint is the sound of the stereo. I upgraded for the premium sound but after having the Logic 7 stereo in my 650, this one sounds low grade. Most of the sound comes from the speaker on the dash board even though I've changed the sound settings over and over to try to get a more balance sound out of it. All other options and aspects of this vehicle have been outstanding so far. Even my 19 year old son likes driving it.

Buy one if you can afford it.
By gregvdv on 04/18/11 11:51 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

First off let me say that I'm comparing this vehicle againist my BMW 650i that I traded in for it. Plus my wifes BMW 535. It really is a great vehicle. Don't expect it to be or act like a sports car because it's not. Don't expect it to be an off road vehicle because it's not. It trully is a sports activity vehicle. It is fun to drive. It does have many comfort features. It does alot of things very well but it is in its own catagory. It has great performance but not as good as my 650 so I'm being picky. It is fun to drive but not as fun as my 650 or 535. I don't have any complaints about the X5 as a whole, just a few things stick out because I've been driving a BMW for almost 10 years now.

Good Car, but not perfect!
By ezhang on 02/24/11 22:37 PM (PST)

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I purchased the X5 diesel in Dec 2010 and I have only put on 2500 miles so far. I took one month vacation overseas in Jan/Feb. When I came back, I was worried that the battery might be dead. To my surprise, it started like I just parked it overnight. I have gotten 25.8 mpg on 70/30 Hwy/City driving. It handles most road conditions well. We had some snow just yesterday and today in Seattle, I can feel that the car swins a little bit on the road (less than one inch accumulation), not as confident as other 4wd suvs. Luckily we don't have too many snow days here. The navigation is not very accurate. When I was driving on highway, it showed that I was on a road pararel to the hwy. When I get home ( rural setting), it showed that I am on my neighbour's road 200 ft off my home. Looks like the Germans are not as good as the Japanese in terms of electronics. Also, my second key lost its battery already and can not open or lock the car. It is on my to do list to bring it to the dealer.

Fun to drive, few odd quirks, delicate
By MonkeyDo on 11/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I purchased a 2011 X5d at Long Beach BMW. So far, I'm not impressed with Long Beach BMW and may never return, but that is another story for another time. One month in, I still like the vehicle. It has a few odd quirks and some parts are of questionable durability, but over all, not bad and fun to drive. Odd quirks: rear tailgate button on keyless remote is too sensitive. Shoulder belt height is not adjustable. Questionable durability: plastic on under side of running boards and around wheel wells is not going to hold up. Already a few minor pits and scratches in the first 1000 miles on average city streets. Also, one rim already scratched and I don't parallel park.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 BMW X5 Diesel in VA is:

$147 per month*