2011 BMW X5 Diesel 3.0L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel AWD 6-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2011 Bmw X5 - Consumer Reviews

xDrive35d 3.0L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel AWD 6-speed Automatic - (20 reviews )

2011 X5 Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
It just keeps getting better
By lessbs

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I had the 2011 x5 diesel built to my specs and delivered in Sept 2010. I loaded it up with almost all accessories which, like all German cars, add considerably to the price of the car. I now have about 26,000 miles on it. The car drives as close to a BMW feel as is possible for an SUV and continues to improve as the computer learns how you drive it. I am tall (6'3") and it is one of the few cars that truly fits me. We drive the car regularly between Seattle and the San Francisco Bay area, and it is hard to imagine a better car for this use.

Favorite Features

Mileage is great for it's size (23 around town with about 28mph on the computer, low 30's with pure highway driving). Still an SUV, but non of the sway you get in the other SUVs I tried (Mercedes, Infinity, Lexus, etc). You really do feel you are driving a BMW

Suggested Improvements

The diesel requires a urea tank that is used to improve air pollutant emissions. To my surprise, a warning came on at about 9,000 miles telling me if I didn't have the tank filled in the next 1000 miles, the car wouldn't start (not good if you are not that close to a dealer). The car has been recalled 4 times for minor reasons, a pain when you have to go to the dealer. The Nav system sucks--inaccurate, cumbersome, not nearly as good as the systems in your cell phone. Sound system is average.

German engineering at its finest
By piredon

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I have about 21,000 miles on the odometer and am mostly very pleased with the vehicle. Fuel mileage is frankly amazing for a 5200 lb SUV. Worst tank was 22mpg and best was nearly 28, overall average of 25mpg. It's fast enough for nearly any situation. It's a fantastic long-distance vehicle with a range of nearly 600 miles between fill ups, and grown-up back seat passengers have commented the rear is plenty comfortable. It also handles better than any other SUV I've driven. Complaints include some cheap plastic in certain places in the interior, an "upgraded" audio system that's just so so, some turbo lag off idle, turning radius is terrible, and you have to get used to the diesel noise.

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage, driving range, diesel torque, comfortable seats, ride/handling balance, high speed stability, iDrive (who woulda thunk?), huge sunroof, great visibility out of the vehicle, stability and traction in the snow/wet, cinnamon brown leather, joystick shifter (again, didn't expect this), heated steering wheel, seat heaters.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap plastic grab handle on the front doors creaks every time you grab it. Rear part of the center arm wrest assembly is also pretty cheap (did not get the rear climate package). Given how much the upgraded audio costs, it should be WAY better than it is. Significant lag off idle, specifically when you want to take a quick left hand turn through a narrow gap in traffic. The tailgate buttons in the cab and on the key fob should both open and close the tailgate, they only open it. Turning radius should be shorter. It's also pretty loud, at least through the first few gears before you get up to speed. Could use a taller top gear for better high-speed mileage (the 8-speed in other X5s).

It's a diesel? Yup
By dasdzl

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Got a 2011 left over that the dealer had for a while probably because of the color (sparkling bronze) but I kind of like it. I have almost 4000 miles on it now and have done 2 longish trips with it. I avg around 25 for urban driving and on the 2 longish trips have seen 31. Even with the ski box on i still see around 27 on the highway. I would have liked it it have the sport seats, but the standard seats seem to be fine although it has taken some time to get the right seating position for comfort and visibility. I very much enjoy the rear seat room for friends and the ability to have room for the dogs in the back. I did get a trailer hitch for it for the bikes. Kinda pricey though.

Favorite Features

Love the fact I'm getting around the same if not better fuel eco as the sedan i traded in. The amount of room and how surprising quick the car is. I did get running boards for it and dig the look of them and the east of access to the roof rack. Also it's surprisingly fun on twisty roads, not saying you throw it around like a sports car, but it's a far cry for an older jeep i had at one time. I did purchase BMW winter tire package for it for 900, which is a great value for 18' bmw wheels and snow tires. Very cool they offer that.

Suggested Improvements

I've had an issue with a creaking drivers seat. The dealer has duplicated it but seem stumped how to correct it without replacing the whole unit. It's very annoying on bumpy roads as the X5 does have a bit of a stiff ride to it. Also the steering is very heavy at low speeds like when parking or driving around the city (boston) I'm sure I will adjust to it. The steering feel is nice at highway speeds though. The price for the trailer hitch was a bit steep as well mud guards...they're just plastic after all. Hopefully trade in value is as good as they say it!

Beautiful vehicle, but still has flaws
By _pj

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

The X5 is beautiful, but not flawless. The navigation sucks and doesn't even give correct directions. There was no dvd included to update it. I've read elsewhere the dealer charges alot for a new one. The ride is firm. The seat bottoms on the active ventilated seats are hard, flat, and unsupportive. They quickly become uncomfortable. I had to buy a seat cushion to make them bearable. The driver's seat puts out alot of heat from underneath and behind. The transmission on the diesel isn't always smooth starting out. Now that I have close to 6,000 miles on the vehicle, it sounds like the diesel is getting louder. The worst thing of all, was the way we were treated at the first BMW dealership.

Favorite Features

Beautiful vehicle, I love the sparkling brown metallic color, power liftgate, running boards, panoramic sunroof, powerful engine, good gas mileage, headrest, cool headlights, rearview camera

Suggested Improvements

Update the Navigation System Free!, Smoother acceleration, More cushy ride and SEATS, Backseats that fold completely flat, Allow the customer to choose whether they want run-flats or regular tires, Smaller diameter steering wheel with more range of motion, Longer sun visors, factory installed trailer hitch, Teach your salespeople some humility (I didn't enjoy the salesman at BMW Albuquerque acting like we were beneath his status, then he had the gall to come out and lecture us afterwards for deciding to not buy the vehicle from him and wasting his time)

Great Car -- Highly Recommended after 1 Year Use
By rpg1410

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Traded in a 2008 535 - needed something bigger for 2 kids. After driving all the midsize SUVs, I narrowed it down to the Audi Q7 diesel and the BMW X5d. Preference for diesel due to mileage. Ended up with a better deal on the X5d. I couldn't be happier with the car. Of the midsize SUVs I drove, the X5 comes closest to giving car handling. The road feel is spot on. Interior design is great and now after having the car since Nov.2011, all components are still working well. Diesel has great responsiveness, of course not as peppy as 535 I traded, but very respectable. Mileage avg 21.7 Enjoying the Sport Package. Got stock radio and it's fine, not same as 535 premium sound but fine.

Favorite Features

Handling is great. Mileage is averaging 21.7. I'm 50/50 in town vs. hwy. On the highway I get 30 miles or so, which means fewer stops at the gas station. Diesel has not been hard to find in Cent FL. Navigation is pretty good, but of course it's hard to compete w/ iPhone. Nevertheless, I've found it to be very helpful. Fit and Finish now almost a year later is great. Dealer (Fields BMW in Orlando) is great. Bought both BMW elsewhere, but serving at Fields and they are the best of the luxury car service groups I've dealt with. It helps that everything is under warranty. Sport Package is great. Also like the Rear Warm Weather package -- tinting/window shades + independent AC for kids.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation could be better but it's not bad. There really aren't many I can think of -- I'm very pleased with the car. This is my third BMW (2001 525; 2008 535; 2011 X5d) separated with a very long 39 month lease with a horrible Land Rover LR3. I may be a BMW lifer -- I'm very pleased (at least as long as there's a warranty).

Flawless, FUN vehicle.
By wittyj

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Have owned the vehicle for six month, with about 6000 miles driven. It is flawless. Mileage in town is 23 to 25. Hiway mileage is 28 to 30. Got the multifuntion seats and they are the most comfortable seat in any car I have ever driven. I-drive is a bit too complicated but not that difficult to use after a while. My question is why? We took delivery at the Performance Center in Spartanburg SC. That is quite an experience. It was so enjoyable we went back for a second time. It is an extreme confidence builder to drive your and all the other BMW models at max performance. You will not drive like that on the "streets" but should you have to you know the vehicle is totally capable. BUY ONE!

Favorite Features

The diesel engine and the "multifunction seats". They are awesome

Suggested Improvements

Further simplification of the I-Drive would be a good thing. Why make the car and its operation so complicated? The driver would be safer with less to do and no technical distractions.

Buy one if you can afford it. (update)
By gregvdv

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I now have 3000 miles on my X5 and after 2 months of driving it gets better every time I climb in the perforated, multi contoured, air conditioned, heated, and massage chair seats. My only real complaint is the sound of the stereo. I upgraded for the premium sound but after having the Logic 7 stereo in my 650, this one sounds low grade. Most of the sound comes from the speaker on the dash board even though I've changed the sound settings over and over to try to get a more balance sound out of it. All other options and aspects of this vehicle have been outstanding so far. Even my 19 year old son likes driving it.

Favorite Features

Seats, Seats, Seats. Did I mention the seats?

Suggested Improvements

Put a better stereo in this vehicle. The Logic 7 thats in other BMWs would be perfect for the X5. Not sure why thats no an option.

Buy one if you can afford it.
By gregvdv

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

First off let me say that I'm comparing this vehicle againist my BMW 650i that I traded in for it. Plus my wifes BMW 535. It really is a great vehicle. Don't expect it to be or act like a sports car because it's not. Don't expect it to be an off road vehicle because it's not. It trully is a sports activity vehicle. It is fun to drive. It does have many comfort features. It does alot of things very well but it is in its own catagory. It has great performance but not as good as my 650 so I'm being picky. It is fun to drive but not as fun as my 650 or 535. I don't have any complaints about the X5 as a whole, just a few things stick out because I've been driving a BMW for almost 10 years now.

Favorite Features

Perforated seats with massage. Comfort access. 25 mpg on average. More room than my last car (650). More area in the back for grocerys, stuff. Being able to copy songs on the hard drive for playback. Overall I love everything

Suggested Improvements

The I Drive is being touted as a great improvement over the old one. It is faster but I would argue that it's easier to use. I liked the ease of my old one and knew what I was doing with it without looking. I can't imagine ever being that good with this one. The Navigation especailly is not easier to use than on my 2006 650. The Sirius radio won't tell me what song is playing if I'm listening to my presets. My 650 would. Back up camera/visual display is really grainy. I know I'm being very picky but these are the things that bother me so far. I'm sure I'll get used to it. I have 1700 miles on it already after 10 days of ownership.

Good Car, but not perfect!
By ezhang

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I purchased the X5 diesel in Dec 2010 and I have only put on 2500 miles so far. I took one month vacation overseas in Jan/Feb. When I came back, I was worried that the battery might be dead. To my surprise, it started like I just parked it overnight. I have gotten 25.8 mpg on 70/30 Hwy/City driving. It handles most road conditions well. We had some snow just yesterday and today in Seattle, I can feel that the car swins a little bit on the road (less than one inch accumulation), not as confident as other 4wd suvs. Luckily we don't have too many snow days here. The navigation is not very accurate. When I was driving on highway, it showed that I was on a road pararel to the hwy. When I get home ( rural setting), it showed that I am on my neighbour's road 200 ft off my home. Looks like the Germans are not as good as the Japanese in terms of electronics. Also, my second key lost its battery already and can not open or lock the car. It is on my to do list to bring it to the dealer.

Favorite Features

Sun roof

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system needs to be more accurate.

Fun to drive, few odd quirks, delicate
By MonkeyDo

2011 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I purchased a 2011 X5d at Long Beach BMW. So far, I'm not impressed with Long Beach BMW and may never return, but that is another story for another time. One month in, I still like the vehicle. It has a few odd quirks and some parts are of questionable durability, but over all, not bad and fun to drive. Odd quirks: rear tailgate button on keyless remote is too sensitive. Shoulder belt height is not adjustable. Questionable durability: plastic on under side of running boards and around wheel wells is not going to hold up. Already a few minor pits and scratches in the first 1000 miles on average city streets. Also, one rim already scratched and I don't parallel park.

Favorite Features

I love the Turbo diesel. I'm averaging slightly over 20 mpg around town and sometimes a little over 30 on the freeway with light traffic and cruise control! Also, lots of wonderful torque makes this vehicle really go when you want it to!

Suggested Improvements

Every other vehicle I've driven over the last decade+ had adjustable height shoulder belts but not this $60k vehicle. Tailgate is too easy to accidentally open with keyless remote in your pocket. Plastic on the exterior needs to be improved. Also, paint on rims apparently flakes off very easily