2011 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
Bye Bye X5
By rakundig on 02/07/12 14:43 PM (PST)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Bought my X5, custom built, in 2010, delivered Aug 2010. I put just about every option into it except that suspension option. I don't plan to offroad in my BMW so I didn't see the point. Sales experience was horrible. Performance is sub-par. It suffers from horrible performance below 50 mph. Hesitation off the line and if you give it gas to accelerate it waits for about a second before kicking you in the shorts. I assume this is because it is in 6th gear at 40mph. After a 1.5 years of driving it I have had enough. It has nice polish but the engine/tranny is junk. Just traded it for a Volvo which isn't as polished but actually goes when I give it gas.

Great car, Poor service. Cannot get them to do an oil change
By bodomo on 05/13/11 19:09 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This is an update on my previous review titled so far so good. Actually not so good anymore. I currently have 15500 and BMW still refuses to do an oil change. I called for my first oil change at 10000 miles and made an appointment for an oil change and some minor work. After a couple of hours, I get the news that my car does NOT need an oil change, I have to come back at 15000 miles. Crap, why waste my time for this? So recently I made another appointment for an oil change at 15000 and again after another couple of hours of waiting they tell me that again they will not do an oil change because in oil is in good shape and I need to come back in another 5000 miles. This is not worth my time.

Fantastic Car So Far
By iowabp on 05/07/11 17:18 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I purchased this vehicle in November 2010 after a six month new car search. I previously owned a 2003 Nissan XTerra and was searching for a vehicle that provided the space I was used to, as well as a feeling of comfort and fun. I'm still surprised by how much I have enjoyed this BMW. The SUV is fun to drive and has all the bells and whistles you could ask for. I'm constantly finding new things that make life easier. From sending Google Maps directions directly to my Navigation to the impressive music hard drive, it's just an easy vehicle to love.

NOT PERFECT BUT GOOD
By jasunlaw on 02/16/11 15:40 PM (PST)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Build quality and driving experience are top notch. Here are my issues; (i) because it handles so well, it is not that great in the snow; (ii) it is vault tight but there quite a few rattles in the back which started after 5000 miles; (iii) there could have been a bigger cargo area-my corvette has almost as much room; (iv) very sensitive check engine light warning system and not all deales know how to fix it-one dealer said my car need a full day of re-programming... a second simply reset it minutes after I arrived for service. Do not open gas cap while engine is running.

New improved bmw x5
By mike sab on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Vehicle has plenty of power and handles very well. My only two complaints are steering is a little stiff in parking lots and I having a resonating noise out of the exhaust between gears 1-3. My two previous BMWs did not have those issues.

Update on my Original Review
By AX5 on 11/26/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I still think the X5 and all BMW's are a blast to drive, but I'm starting to have the High Pressure Fuel Pump issues. It takes longer to start up (anywhere from 4-5 seconds) and I'm starting to see re-occurring error codes whenever I hook up my diagnostic system. BMW went public on there HPFP issue, but only for 2007- 2010 model years. They need to include 2011 models in their recall, as my X5 and several other 2011 model year cars are having HPFP issues

2011 BMW X5 Outperforms
By richard on 10/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This is my 3rd BMW and by far the best. The performance is awesome and the panoramic glass roof is unparalleled. I am averaging 18 and 22 miles per gallon. Sound system is great and the you hear no noise from outside. Suspension is great and the power of the twin turbo is incredible. Handling is awesome too. takes curves with ease and does not drive like a typical SUV, more like a sedan.

Better than expected
By bgm on 10/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

We have always been Volvo owners. My wife wanted a SUV we tested Volvo, Mercedes and BMW. The BMW handled much better than the Mercedes. I thought the ride would be harsh but it is not. We took delivery at the BMW Performance Center in South Carolina. Excellent program and an excellent vehicle. I have never owned BMW but now I am considering purchasing another one for myself next year. We are averaging 22 mpg. Handles like my old Volvo S80 V8.

Great vehicle!
By emedway on 09/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Less than 1k miles so far. iDrive and Nav much improved compared to my 2009 5-series, which really wasn't that bad. The 8-speed automatic is super smooth and interior noise while driving is quite muted.. The new engine really has a lot of power. The new oyster leather interior color is very classy. I noticed the wind deflector on the sunroof was misaligned during the delivery process, but have had to wait for a replacement to come into stock. Two weeks after delivery, noticed one front fog light was out, but has since been working, so will need dealer to look it over next time in for service.

So far so good
By bodox5 on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I just got this about a couple of weeks ago and already went to a trip out of town and put in over 1500 miles. So far, so good. I am very concerned about reliability with my previous experiences with BMWs but hopefully this one will be much better. The fit and finish seems good and i do love the panoramic roof. It is a nice car to take on a road-trip, I really enjoy it, we will see about reliability.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 BMW X5 in VA is:

$147 per month*