Used 2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

By Arnaldo

The Cost To Maintain
By Rick

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have had multiple repairs to this car. Luckily all were covered under warranty. Don't buy a desiel unless it is certified with a warranty. DEF tank has been replaced 3 times. I have been stuck 4 times with "reduced engine power" because of different sensors.

On the he bright side this is a very comfortable car and great to drive. 25+ miles to the gallon.

oil field
By Dave

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Bought this car with 39.000 just 2 weeks ago. First issue, minor oil ring seal. Leaked for a bit. Now the issue is its burning oil. Do all bmw cars and trucks have oil issues? Went through this with the 645ci. Ridiculous!

Awesome machine
By Joey

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This thing is a blast to drive, and a really good option for families with one or two kids. You can't beat the safety features; this thing's a tank. The only real concern with the X5 35d is the upkeep cost. If you consider the fuel economy, maybe it evens out...but doubtful. I can't say the repair cost is high, because we haven't had to actually have any repairs done (60k miles). The warranty covered a few sensors that needed to be replaced, but everything else has been routine. Don't bother with a dealership for oil changes. They will straight up lie to you. I had two local BMW shops tell me it's over $300 to change the oil and fill the DEF on my 35d. Order the Castrol oil, a filter and some DEF and do it in the driveway, or take it to a small shop and pay 15 bucks. Total cost for me was less than $100. If we can afford it in the future, we will certainly invest in another X-model. Let's hope we can squeeze 150k out of this one.

2011 BMW x5-35i need further work
By ikalajmi

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have recently purchased the new 2011 X5-35i and So Far So Good.
I was previously driving a 2010 lexus RX 350. Bought this X5 after much research comparing it with 2010 RX350 and 2011 VW Touareg

I like the exterior and the interior looking of the car. In general X5 has a Great Torque, quality and great handling with the new turbo engine. Great back-up camera that shows actual image of vehicle from above and in the rear. Love the acceleration, the fuel economy and the sunroof.

I have some complaints about the X5-35i. 1- Air condition is not powerful during midday. Car suspension and seats are stiff and very expensive to maintain. Although the 8-speed automatic transmission is smooth but, lower engine acceleration for city driving is still noisy not like Lexus cars. Seat belt beeps constantly if I take my belt off for long time which makes me nervous even I lower the sound volume. There is no engine temperature indicator. Radio manipulating is not friendly as it should be. BMW must work harder like Lexus. I am sorry but if you went my honest advice buy Lexus car you will be very happy.