2011 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
My 3rd X5
By dborlando1 on 11/06/12 05:05 AM (PST)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

(Previously leased 2003 4.4 and 2008 4.8 X5 models). By far, this 50i model is my favorite X5. Improved satellite navigation system lets you speak the entire destination at once, instead of bit-by-bit, and is usually accurate. Sound system has both an equalizer and surround sound. Excellent back-up camera that shows not only the rear view, but also view from above, which is great for back-in and parallel parking. 8-speed automatic is noticeably smoother than the earlier X5's 6-speeds transmissions. Fuel economy is slightly better than the earlier X5's (averaging 13.5 to 15.0 MPG). The 19" tires help. The '03 and '08 X5's both had 20" tires (and were more expensive to replace).

It just keeps getting better
By lessbs on 06/03/12 10:40 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I had the 2011 x5 diesel built to my specs and delivered in Sept 2010. I loaded it up with almost all accessories which, like all German cars, add considerably to the price of the car. I now have about 26,000 miles on it. The car drives as close to a BMW feel as is possible for an SUV and continues to improve as the computer learns how you drive it. I am tall (6'3") and it is one of the few cars that truly fits me. We drive the car regularly between Seattle and the San Francisco Bay area, and it is hard to imagine a better car for this use.

German engineering at its finest
By piredon on 05/03/12 07:02 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I have about 21,000 miles on the odometer and am mostly very pleased with the vehicle. Fuel mileage is frankly amazing for a 5200 lb SUV. Worst tank was 22mpg and best was nearly 28, overall average of 25mpg. It's fast enough for nearly any situation. It's a fantastic long-distance vehicle with a range of nearly 600 miles between fill ups, and grown-up back seat passengers have commented the rear is plenty comfortable. It also handles better than any other SUV I've driven. Complaints include some cheap plastic in certain places in the interior, an "upgraded" audio system that's just so so, some turbo lag off idle, turning radius is terrible, and you have to get used to the diesel noise.

It's a diesel? Yup
By dasdzl on 02/13/12 10:44 AM (PST)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Got a 2011 left over that the dealer had for a while probably because of the color (sparkling bronze) but I kind of like it. I have almost 4000 miles on it now and have done 2 longish trips with it. I avg around 25 for urban driving and on the 2 longish trips have seen 31. Even with the ski box on i still see around 27 on the highway. I would have liked it it have the sport seats, but the standard seats seem to be fine although it has taken some time to get the right seating position for comfort and visibility. I very much enjoy the rear seat room for friends and the ability to have room for the dogs in the back. I did get a trailer hitch for it for the bikes. Kinda pricey though.

Bye Bye X5
By rakundig on 02/07/12 14:43 PM (PST)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Bought my X5, custom built, in 2010, delivered Aug 2010. I put just about every option into it except that suspension option. I don't plan to offroad in my BMW so I didn't see the point. Sales experience was horrible. Performance is sub-par. It suffers from horrible performance below 50 mph. Hesitation off the line and if you give it gas to accelerate it waits for about a second before kicking you in the shorts. I assume this is because it is in 6th gear at 40mph. After a 1.5 years of driving it I have had enough. It has nice polish but the engine/tranny is junk. Just traded it for a Volvo which isn't as polished but actually goes when I give it gas.

Beautiful vehicle, but still has flaws
By _pj on 09/22/11 05:20 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

The X5 is beautiful, but not flawless. The navigation sucks and doesn't even give correct directions. There was no dvd included to update it. I've read elsewhere the dealer charges alot for a new one. The ride is firm. The seat bottoms on the active ventilated seats are hard, flat, and unsupportive. They quickly become uncomfortable. I had to buy a seat cushion to make them bearable. The driver's seat puts out alot of heat from underneath and behind. The transmission on the diesel isn't always smooth starting out. Now that I have close to 6,000 miles on the vehicle, it sounds like the diesel is getting louder. The worst thing of all, was the way we were treated at the first BMW dealership.

Great Car -- Highly Recommended after 1 Year Use
By rpg1410 on 09/01/11 00:50 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Traded in a 2008 535 - needed something bigger for 2 kids. After driving all the midsize SUVs, I narrowed it down to the Audi Q7 diesel and the BMW X5d. Preference for diesel due to mileage. Ended up with a better deal on the X5d. I couldn't be happier with the car. Of the midsize SUVs I drove, the X5 comes closest to giving car handling. The road feel is spot on. Interior design is great and now after having the car since Nov.2011, all components are still working well. Diesel has great responsiveness, of course not as peppy as 535 I traded, but very respectable. Mileage avg 21.7 Enjoying the Sport Package. Got stock radio and it's fine, not same as 535 premium sound but fine.

2011 BMW x5-35i need further work
By ikalajmi on 07/09/11 04:34 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have recently purchased the new 2011 X5-35i and So Far So Good. I was previously driving a 2010 lexus RX 350. Bought this X5 after much research comparing it with 2010 RX350 and 2011 VW Touareg

Flawless, FUN vehicle.
By wittyj on 06/02/11 12:10 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Have owned the vehicle for six month, with about 6000 miles driven. It is flawless. Mileage in town is 23 to 25. Hiway mileage is 28 to 30. Got the multifuntion seats and they are the most comfortable seat in any car I have ever driven. I-drive is a bit too complicated but not that difficult to use after a while. My question is why? We took delivery at the Performance Center in Spartanburg SC. That is quite an experience. It was so enjoyable we went back for a second time. It is an extreme confidence builder to drive your and all the other BMW models at max performance. You will not drive like that on the "streets" but should you have to you know the vehicle is totally capable. BUY ONE!

My 3rd X5 SAV
By dborlando1 on 05/23/11 14:30 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW X5 xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

(Previously leased a 2003 X5 and 2008 X5 4.8i). By far, this is my favorite X5, except for the inferior premium sound system compared to my 2008 X5. Improved NAV system, but takes getting used to. Cargo space is decent. Fuel economy at 13.5 MPG average is unacceptable. Although the 8-speed automatic transmission is smooth, lower engine acceleration for city driving is annoying sluggish. Great back-up camera that shows actual image of vehicle from above and in the rear.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 BMW X5 in VA is:

$147 per month*