Used 2011 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Pricey but Nicey
By Phillip

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I suspect that a low mileage used X5 would be the way to go for most folks. We bit the bullit in 2010 and ordered ours with all of the options. At the time, there was a hefty rebate on the diesel and a tax incentive of $5k . My wife and I both drive it and it has 66,000 miles. Brakes, tires and a battery is all we have done to it. Regular dealer and good independent service have kept the cost down. You don't buy one of these to save money. You buy it for the driving experience, comfort and safety that the Beemer is famous for. We get about 30 mpg on the highway and 24 in town. I had the dealer install the BMW trailer hitch package and it is worth it. I'll pull a horse or big utility trailer with it easily. The hitch is rated at 6500 lbs, but the same car in europe is rated at 7700 lbs. The hitch kit from the dealer includes an integrated trailer brake system hooked into the computer. They re-program the computer to "know" the trailer and lights etc. The shift patterns change when a trailer is hooked up. Pretty good stuff. BMW says the transmission and some other fluids are for life. My mechanic says to change them out at about 80K. I tend to believe him as it makes sense that any fluid will break down over time. Would I buy one again? Absolutely. New? Probably not. Probably get another diesel with under 10K miles on it. They are around and priced well.

My 3rd X5
By dborlando1

2011 BMW X5 xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

(Previously leased 2003 4.4 and 2008 4.8 X5 models). By far, this 50i model is my favorite X5. Improved satellite navigation system lets you speak the entire destination at once, instead of bit-by-bit, and is usually accurate. Sound system has both an equalizer and surround sound. Excellent back-up camera that shows not only the rear view, but also view from above, which is great for back-in and parallel parking. 8-speed automatic is noticeably smoother than the earlier X5's 6-speeds transmissions. Fuel economy is slightly better than the earlier X5's (averaging 13.5 to 15.0 MPG). The 19" tires help. The '03 and '08 X5's both had 20" tires (and were more expensive to replace).

(1) 8-speed automatic (2) interior and exterior design (3) driver and passenger seat comfort (4) an extra and spacious cargo bin in spare tire well replaces optional 3rd-row seats (5) quiet interior (6) optional Head-up display (7) great handling (8) improved A/C (9) improved I-Drive (10) x-tra large moon roof (11) reliable (12) Auto Park (13) sound system (14) iPhone 3GS and 4S models work seamlessly with i-Drive technology. Top-rate BMW dealership in Winter Park, Florida.

(1) fuel economy (2) run-flat tires (3) lots of expensive options (4) lots of expensive packages (5) lots of expensive accessories

It just keeps getting better
By lessbs

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I had the 2011 x5 diesel built to my specs and delivered in Sept 2010. I loaded it up with almost all accessories which, like all German cars, add considerably to the price of the car. I now have about 26,000 miles on it. The car drives as close to a BMW feel as is possible for an SUV and continues to improve as the computer learns how you drive it. I am tall (6'3") and it is one of the few cars that truly fits me. We drive the car regularly between Seattle and the San Francisco Bay area, and it is hard to imagine a better car for this use.

Mileage is great for it's size (23 around town with about 28mph on the computer, low 30's with pure highway driving). Still an SUV, but non of the sway you get in the other SUVs I tried (Mercedes, Infinity, Lexus, etc). You really do feel you are driving a BMW

The diesel requires a urea tank that is used to improve air pollutant emissions. To my surprise, a warning came on at about 9,000 miles telling me if I didn't have the tank filled in the next 1000 miles, the car wouldn't start (not good if you are not that close to a dealer). The car has been recalled 4 times for minor reasons, a pain when you have to go to the dealer. The Nav system sucks--inaccurate, cumbersome, not nearly as good as the systems in your cell phone. Sound system is average.

German engineering at its finest
By piredon

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I have about 21,000 miles on the odometer and am mostly very pleased with the vehicle. Fuel mileage is frankly amazing for a 5200 lb SUV. Worst tank was 22mpg and best was nearly 28, overall average of 25mpg. It's fast enough for nearly any situation. It's a fantastic long-distance vehicle with a range of nearly 600 miles between fill ups, and grown-up back seat passengers have commented the rear is plenty comfortable. It also handles better than any other SUV I've driven. Complaints include some cheap plastic in certain places in the interior, an "upgraded" audio system that's just so so, some turbo lag off idle, turning radius is terrible, and you have to get used to the diesel noise.

Fuel mileage, driving range, diesel torque, comfortable seats, ride/handling balance, high speed stability, iDrive (who woulda thunk?), huge sunroof, great visibility out of the vehicle, stability and traction in the snow/wet, cinnamon brown leather, joystick shifter (again, didn't expect this), heated steering wheel, seat heaters.

Cheap plastic grab handle on the front doors creaks every time you grab it. Rear part of the center arm wrest assembly is also pretty cheap (did not get the rear climate package). Given how much the upgraded audio costs, it should be WAY better than it is. Significant lag off idle, specifically when you want to take a quick left hand turn through a narrow gap in traffic. The tailgate buttons in the cab and on the key fob should both open and close the tailgate, they only open it. Turning radius should be shorter. It's also pretty loud, at least through the first few gears before you get up to speed. Could use a taller top gear for better high-speed mileage (the 8-speed in other X5s).

It's a diesel? Yup
By dasdzl

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Got a 2011 left over that the dealer had for a while probably because of the color (sparkling bronze) but I kind of like it. I have almost 4000 miles on it now and have done 2 longish trips with it. I avg around 25 for urban driving and on the 2 longish trips have seen 31. Even with the ski box on i still see around 27 on the highway. I would have liked it it have the sport seats, but the standard seats seem to be fine although it has taken some time to get the right seating position for comfort and visibility. I very much enjoy the rear seat room for friends and the ability to have room for the dogs in the back. I did get a trailer hitch for it for the bikes. Kinda pricey though.

Love the fact I'm getting around the same if not better fuel eco as the sedan i traded in. The amount of room and how surprising quick the car is. I did get running boards for it and dig the look of them and the east of access to the roof rack. Also it's surprisingly fun on twisty roads, not saying you throw it around like a sports car, but it's a far cry for an older jeep i had at one time. I did purchase BMW winter tire package for it for 900, which is a great value for 18' bmw wheels and snow tires. Very cool they offer that.

I've had an issue with a creaking drivers seat. The dealer has duplicated it but seem stumped how to correct it without replacing the whole unit. It's very annoying on bumpy roads as the X5 does have a bit of a stiff ride to it. Also the steering is very heavy at low speeds like when parking or driving around the city (boston) I'm sure I will adjust to it. The steering feel is nice at highway speeds though. The price for the trailer hitch was a bit steep as well mud guards...they're just plastic after all. Hopefully trade in value is as good as they say it!